CZ 455 FS or .577 Snider-Enfield?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

CZ 455 FS or .577 Snider-Enfield?

Post by awp101 »

I was perusing the selection of a local pusher when the subject of Martini-Henrys came up with the counter guy I usually deal with. After a few minutes he said "Hey, you might know something about this!". He went to the back and came out with a Snider-Enfield.

I looked it over and from what I can tell, it's clean and it's "right". He said it was in the back because they weren't real sure how to price it. I looked up IMA's website on my mildly intelligent phone and told him what IMA was asking for them. He said the boss had been thinking about $100 more but wasn't sure since he isn't familiar with them and didn't know IMA had them. The counter guy shot me a very fair price which I had to turn down due to lack of funds for now.

Now's here's the dilemma. I've been wanting a M-H for a while now but when it comes to ammo it's either pay through the nose for specialty ammo, roll your own from expensive cases and expensive dies or form your own from slightly less expensive 24ga brass hulls but still needing expensive (to me at least) dies for forming and reloading and the supply of 24ga brass hulls isn't always there. Due to that, I've put a M-H on the far back burner as a "someday" purchase. OTOH, I have found out that 24ga PLASTIC hulls can be used with the S-E. No annealing or fireforming needed, just cut to length and tinker to fine tune. That's a lot more appealing to me.

I've also gotten a hankering for a full stock CZ .22. With the 452 out of production and the 455 taking it's place, prices are climbing on the 452 FS so I'm thinking about a new 455 for not much more than a used 452.

The FS is very trim and handy with ammo on hand that could also be obtained from any shop in the land that carries ammunition. The S-E would be around $100 more than having the shop order me a brandy new 455 FS but it's not often I have the chance to get a 140 year old shooter in pretty good shape for it's age. And it's easier to load for than a M-H.

I'm asking here because this is neutral territory. I'm leaning towards the S-E at the moment but if I go back and look at the Mannlicher threads that got started within the past week or so, I'll be back on that kick again. :lol:

It'll take me some time to round up the funds so I'm in no hurry. So, what are your thoughts and suggestions (besides "Get both! :lol: )?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Re: CZ 455 FS or .577 Snider-Enfield?

Post by perry owens »

I have 3 Sniders, all made by reputable British makers. All have slightly different bore sizes and twists and require different powder charges and bullet shapes/weights to get them to shoot well. Loading a Snider for accuracy is a hobby bordering on a career. When you're not shooting it you can just hold it and speculate on it's history - can't do that with a new gun.
Take plenty of ammo with you to the range. The first two shots will generate a curious crowd who will all want a shot.
You don't say what style the Snider is. Value wise the 3-band rifles are least, 2-band artillery carbines next and the single band cavalry carbines are the most valuable.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nothing against Snider Enfields but they're not something thats ever floated my boat so to speak !

I'm not a big 22 rimfire person either !

Personally I'd go for a CZ550 FS in 6.5x55 :wink:

But if I could only choose between what you mentioned the CZ455FS most likley would be my choice .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Andrew: GET THE SNIDER!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

The Snider IS COOL but my CZ is amazingly accurate. I do like old out of the ordinary centerfire rifles but I really like accurate .22LRs. I have a few old rifles that are fun to play with but are seldom shot because they are not really all that accurate. So, I don't hunt with them and usually just shoot them with friends who see them and want to shoot them. Fire off a few rounds, put them away until some other occasion brings them out.

Every time I get together with friends to shoot, the CZ gets shot. It's great for new shooters because it is easy to shoot well. Unless you already have a very accurate .22LR, between these two, the CZ would be my choice.

Edited to add that I don't have any experience with the Snider or the new CZ455 or the CZ452 with a Mannlicher style stock. I have shot the CZ 452 "Trainer", a bull barreled version and the model that I own; the 452 American.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm a bit biased but I'd go with the CZ.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

3-2 in favor of the CZ...OK, here's some more info and how I'm breaking down the pros and cons. :mrgreen:

My .22s include a Winchester 75 Target and BSA 12/15 so I have the more-accurate-than-I-am .22 base covered. I also have a CZ 452 Lux so the CZ angle is taken care of as well (and it really fits into the above category too). I have a whizz-pot of .22 ammo and the 452 and 455 should use the same magazine as a bonus. .22 ammo can be had for cheap and as I am not a competitor, bulk plinking ammo suits 95% of my needs. And to top it off, it's about as handy as a pocket on a shirt.

I have a penchant for old military arms and an interest in the 19th Century conflicts of the Empire that is moving from burgeoning to serious. Flinging a large chunk of lead while producing copius amounts of sulfur scented smoke is always fun as well (I wonder if there's a market for an aftershave or cologne that smells like BP shooting? We could call it Manly: For Men :lol: ). But this is the thing I keep coming back to:
perry owens wrote:When you're not shooting it you can just hold it and speculate on it's history - can't do that with a new gun.
That statement covers well over 80% of the firearms I own/have owned. No, it may not get taken out every range trip. Yes, it's big and cumbersome and more expensive to feed than the .22 (unless I can fix up a .22 conversion :twisted: ). I don't get to shoot in my backyard, nor do I have woods to patrol for vermin. Either rifle is going to sit in the safe until the next range trip/cleaning session/fondling frenzy so "handiness" isn't a make or break factor.

Right now I'm leaning heavily towards the S-E. I can always grab a fulls stocked CZ of some flavor later on (famous last words, right? :lol: ) but they are no longer making the S-E...
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

awp101 wrote:3-2 in favor of the CZ...OK, here's some more info and how I'm breaking down the pros and cons. :mrgreen:

My .22s include a Winchester 75 Target and BSA 12/15 so I have the more-accurate-than-I-am .22 base covered. I also have a CZ 452 Lux so the CZ angle is taken care of as well (and it really fits into the above category too).
Well.... that changes everything!
awp101 wrote: Right now I'm leaning heavily towards the S-E. I can always grab a fulls stocked CZ of some flavor later on (famous last words, right? :lol: ) but they are no longer making the S-E...
Knowing what I know now, since you have the accurate .22s covered (including a CZ452), I am changing my vote to the Snider.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The full stock CZ is great for hunting, but not the best design, for target work. The 445 (or even better 452) American or Varmint is better for long periods of plinking/target work. If little groups are required then the full stock is fine.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Go get the Snider - you know you want to....

Then load it up and go and shoot a tiger from the back of an elephant.

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I look at a Snider the same way I would look at a Trapdoor or Krag !

I'll only buy it if I can get it cheap enough to roll it over and make a couple bucks !

A rimfire 22 doesn't normally hold my intrest very well either for that matter .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

I've mostly been a levergunner in .22s, but decided a while back that a good boltgun might not be a bad thing to have.

I can't tolerate the "Glock" triggers appearing in rifles nowdays, and when I worked with a 455FS a few months ago it impressed me enough to keep. Only one trigger. :)
Decent accuracy, and the iron sights work with my eyes.
I need to pick up some steel mags for it (do not like plastic feed lips), otherwise it's a nice little rifle & I'm always a sucker for a Mannlicher stock. :)
Denis
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

perry owens wrote:Go get the Snider - you know you want to....

Then load it up and go and shoot a tiger from the back of an elephant.
Hey now, this thing is expensive enough already and will probably cost me my Swede m96 FSR (see the classifieds :wink: )! Can you imagine how much acquiring an elephant and tiger is going to run me? Plus the permit and paperwork hassle? :shock: :lol:

DPris, when did they go to plastic mags on the 452/455?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well now dang it, Andrew, how about sharing the Snider's coordinates so someone else can have a crack at it??
:D