.357 loads for Puma 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

.357 loads for Puma 92

Post by jnyork »

Just Saturday picked up a nice condition, almost new, .357 Puma 24" barrel rifle. Not having any loads for it, I tried some different revolver loads I had just to function test it, nothing more. I found that it appeared to be sensitive to the type of bullet in that it would feed round nose bullets just fine but some of my flat tip conical bullets hung up going into the chamber. I feel this must be a function of overall length and type of crimp. To save me hours and hours of messing around at the loading bench trying to get everything dialed in, can someone pitch in here with a little info for me? All loads are cast bullets, I will be using it for Pistol Caliber silhouette only. If someone has a secret never-fail load they would share, that would be nice also. Thanks.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: .357 loads for Puma 92

Post by Old Ironsights »

It IS sensitive to OAL with WFNs

Junior did a good job discussing it on his website: http://castbullet.com/shooting/rossi-s3.htm

It's the basis of my loads.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

My Puma loves 180gr Saeco FPs and RP 125gr Golden Sabre's. It isnt fussy about any reload I have fed it. It will even feed EMPTY .38 cases
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

When I had a Rossi Model 92, I only used factory 158gr JSP's (w/o issue), so I can't be of much help with cast boolits - Sorry.

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I use both Zero 158grn JSP and Berrys 158grn plated bullets in my Rossis. The plated bullets are cheap to shoot with no lead issues to fret over and both they and the Zeros do just fine at 1,977fps from my 24" Rossi.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

For hunting and (serious?) work I like the Hornady, Leverevolution 140gn FTX ammo.
It feeds great and I get 1950 fps out of my 20" Rossi '92, 357 magnum carbine.
Other than that, I reload, so I can try about anything.
I might ad that I use the Lyman 358156 G/C (gas check) mold for casting wheel weight bullets and if I want them harder, I drop them out of the mold into cold water.
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18