What are my 45-70 lever options?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

What are my 45-70 lever options?

Post by FatJackDurham »

I need to buy a 45-70 lever gun, but all the ones I see are either carbines or have short magazines.

The only ones I have seen with a long barrel and magazine are the Cimmeron/Chiappa model 1886 and the marlin 1895 Cowboy.

The cowboy is more my price range. What other options at there?
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What are my 45-70 lever options?

Post by .45colt »

Jack, the Marlin Cowboy or the Browning 1886 26" are the only ones I would bother with for what Your lookin for. heres one on Gunbroker now.http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =300034023
Mustang 22
Levergunner

Post by Mustang 22 »

If you can find one, the japanese built Winchester 1886 EL are real nice. Accurate, light and good looking.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I like the balance and handling of thr standard 1895SS. Can't imagine why I would need more than five in the gun.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

OS, I'm with you I have the standard 1895 in Blue/Walnut and love it, And if five is not enough, I always wear a ten round belt when out with it. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Yeah, but the cowboy will load 10!

Of course, you do feel it.

I've often contemplated what would require me to have 10 45/70 rounds at the ready. Something involving rampant zombies, rabid buffalo or advancing hordes of feral llamas.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You might want to handle a Marlin 'Cowboy' before you write it off - as far as 'handling' it is like a fine shotgun - light and points superbly. The gun LOOKS heavy but the large hole takes alot of weight out of the barrel.

They aren't exactly 'compact brush guns' or 'vehicle guns' though.

I've also always wondered what the relative strengths are of the Marlin .45-70 models - they seem to be in lots of KaBooms, but I've not seen any of the Stainless Guide Guns Kaboom. Probably they are all about the same.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

AJMD429 wrote:....I've also always wondered what the relative strengths are of the Marlin .45-70 models - they seem to be in lots of KaBooms, but I've not seen any of the Stainless Guide Guns Kaboom. Probably they are all about the same.

I would guess they are all about the same, other than barrel material differences between the carbon and stainless guns. I don't know that the stainless guns will be very different, but I don't know the characteristics of the stainless they use compared to whatever carbon alloy is being used now. It seems the problems were more often in the earlier guns from what I understand, the main issue being an action designed around the 30-30 class of cartridges being adapted to the 45-70 round, (combining the fat magazine tube and size of the bore) and the resulting thin spot on the bottom of the barrel to clear the magazine tube.

Back to the original question, there are the Browning/Winchester 1886 action, which I prefer. They generally cost a bit more than the Marlins, so may not be in your list of options. There is a Browning 86 carbine in the classifieds at the moment, for a reasonable price, but still probably more than the Marlins.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

The only reason I need more than five is for competition. Trouble is I don't know how many I need.

I'll have to go to thenext shoot and ask.

I like both the marlin and the Winchester/browning 1886....

If I only need five , so much the better
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Which one is better at up to 400 yards