Mayberry Had Leverguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Mayberry Had Leverguns

Post by Blaine »

Right behind Andy's desk was the gun rack. A couple bolts, a Winchester 94, and a 39 Mountie, and a couple others.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mayberry Had Leverguns

Post by RIHMFIRE »

and 1 bullet for each :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I loved that gun rack......especially the doubles that sat there. Always wondered what happened to those guns.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Yep. I always liked that rack.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

The infamous Earnest T. Bass had a lever as well.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Yes sir they sure did. If I'm not mistaken the first few seasons the rack held what appeared to be 1903 Springfields which almost looked like old drill rifles. It seemed like every time Andy went to grab a gun he seemed to favor that old double barrel shotgun.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

At close range, I am not going to argue with a double. I do remember seeing the leverguns behind the desk. Considering the time it was filmed, the Winchester 94 would have been totally appropriate for most law enforcement work.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

There have been several threads over the years trying to identify the guns in Andy's gun rack. The results have always been varied, because they changed from episode to episode!

M1 Carbine
M1 Garand
1903 Springfield
M70 Winchester
M 12 pump
M97 trench gun
M94 Winchesters

Andy had'em all!

Anyone remember the episode wherein Andy opens his desk drawer, in it were his Lucky Strikes, and a 4" Colt revolver? He ponders some dilema, reaches for his roscoe, then shakes out a cig and closes the drawer. Tough decision for Andy...
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

When I was a kid I saw a Bonanaza episode where Ben instructed his sons to clean the rifles in the front room rack. The sons protested it was boring work.

I couldn't understand how anybody could not want to handle all those manly, beautiful longguns.
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

AndyGriffithShowSheriffAndyTaylor11_e.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Mohavesam,
I remember the episode of which you speak. Don't remember what it was called but a man that Andy had put away for something was paying him a visit after being released and Barney and a few others were worried about it. The fella ended up bringing him a nicely engraved shotgun if I'm not mistaken because Andy "set him straight". I believe it was the actor George Kennedy that played the part of the former convict.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

PriseDeFer wrote:
AndyGriffithShowSheriffAndyTaylor11_e.jpg
Ok, that's a start... but...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

RustyJr,

That man was played by toughguy Leo Gordon:

"High Noon in Mayberry":

http://www.tvrage.com/The_Andy_Griffith ... des/173271

Leo Vincent Gordon (December 2, 1922 - December 26, 2000):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Gordon

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:wink: That brings back memories. Good old series. I have seen most several times. :D
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Hagler,
Thanks for setting it straight. I should have looked it up. My aunt has the entire series on DVD. I think I've watched all of them at least once and many of them multiple times. It would be hard to pick a favorite.

RustyJr
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

he also had a Daisy "Spittin Image" 1894. In the episode where the goat eats the dynamite and the Mayor tells Andy to shoot the goat while it's in the jail cell. Andy hands the Mayor a Daisy 1894. If you look real close you can see the loading gate. John Wayne also uses a Daisy 1894 in the movie with Kate Hepburn when they are going down the river on the raft. If you pause it you can see the Daisy. I guess they didn't mind loosing a Daisy versus a model 92.

Mike
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

In the first two episodes Andy straps on his gunbelt. Some fans know that the show's "Sheriff without a gun" theme as not political at all. Griffith was a folk singer/comedian and had a routine about a southern cop who couldn't afford a gun, ay back a few years before the TV show...

Quick, how many girlfriends did Andy have? The tramp from Mt Pilot and the prison escapee notwithstanding .

Hint: he had a penchant for school mar'ms and lady pharmacists!
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

mohavesam wrote:In the first two episodes Andy straps on his gunbelt. Some fans know that the show's "Sheriff without a gun" theme as not political at all. Griffith was a folk singer/comedian and had a routine about a southern cop who couldn't afford a gun, ay back a few years before the TV show...

Quick, how many girlfriends did Andy have? The tramp from Mt Pilot and the prison escapee notwithstanding .

Hint: he had a penchant for school mar'ms and lady pharmacists!
Ellie and Hellen. I used to watch that show when the episodes came out brand new every week :oops: Even in my pre-teen years, I knew that Ellie was Hot Stuff 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Mr. Griffith had a lot of comedy stuff out. I remember listening to an album compilation of a lot if different comics and he was on there. That routing was, "what it was, was football."

I gotta go look that up and see if it's still available.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

wecsoger wrote:Mr. Griffith had a lot of comedy stuff out. I remember listening to an album compilation of a lot if different comics and he was on there. That routing was, "what it was, was football."

I gotta go look that up and see if it's still available.
On You Tube....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV