Anyone have the Runger Gunsite Rifle? Our shot one?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Anyone have the Runger Gunsite Rifle? Our shot one?

Post by WCF3030 »

Can't seem to talk myself out of wanting one.
Not really a semi-auto guy.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Anyone have the Runger Gunsite Rifle? Our shot one?

Post by Blaine »

I've been coveting one. I do wonder about the muzzle blast of a 308 is such a short bbl, tho :shock: KInd of the same reason I don't plink with my Guide Gun very much :lol: Here in Washington, it would be a handy truck gun with the mag., because we can't have a loaded rifle in the vehicle.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

It has a lot of good reviews, seems useful enough.
I do agree with you on the muzzle blast with that short barrel.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It seems like a good gun although the box magazine is a bit loose in the well and doesn't seem quite as sturdy as the M14 magazine. There is also a LH version. Never shot it though.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They Do seem like a practical thing. Nothing fancy, just what a good detachable-magazine bolt-action gun COULD be. If we'd kept with bolt-actions in the military, I'm sure such a gun would be one of our 'mil-surp' options. Think a Mauser 98 with a shorter barrel, detachable magazine, and some weatherproofing and a scout rail.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I would like one in left hand but cannot quite get past the $900.00+ price tag. I know its only money but….
Slim
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Frankly, I'd rather have an FR-8 fitted with a box mag or just build something like it out of a good Mauser.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =298461247

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

If I wanted a hard kicking, noisy, ugly rifle, and didn't want the high price of a GSR, I would pick up a Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine. :lol:

Jack
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

No more right hand bolts for me....

I never thought of the 308 as a hard kicker. The muzzle blast may be a bit of a bark.
y father has an 18" 260 Remington Model 7 and the bark will get your attention.
Slim
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

william iorg wrote:I would like one in left hand but cannot quite get past the $900.00+ price tag. I know its only money but….
Ruger's "suggested retail" is always a bit more than the real price - $759 including shipping to your FFL from BudsGunshop.com - http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... Stock+6803
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

Thats good to know. I dont look around much on the internet. Not many shops doing transffers around here.
Slim
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

When these rifles first came out I had the opportunity to handle one at a distributor show.I was not impressed with the handling qualities nor the balance of it in the least.It definitely is not a "pretty" gun.The fit and finish are acceptable.It is a rather heavy feeling piece.
In my mind I compared the feel and balance of it to my Remington Model Seven in .308 and it is nowhere near that rifle.It has a certain military look to it that I think appeals to a lot of people.
The magazines do not fit as well as some rifles I have seen.
I had a chance at that show to purchase one at distributor cost and I passed.
Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

Well these thoughts give me pause.
I am not a big fan of the military look.
I do like the idea of the easy to remove magazine for riding on the 4-wheeler.
I bought a Savage 14 American Classic after setting it beside the left hand Ruger M77 on the gunstore counter. The Savage was $100.00 cheaper and looked a bit better to my eye. Mine feeds well, I have heard of some that don’t.
Slim
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

You might want to take a look at the Ruger Compact Magnum. I cant post a link to it right now but it's a nice looking rifle. Blued steel and wood with a 20" barrel. Available in 308. Doesn't have the removable box though if that's what your wanting.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

I prefer the Frontier rifles (carbines). I have three in 243, 308, and 300WSM. Even with the WSM, recoil is not near as brutal as a 12-guage slug gun to me. And it is an honest-to-goodness elk gun.

As for the Scout - the only things I don't care for are the muzzle brake/flash hider; the loose magazine rattling around; the weird recoil pad/butt stock afterthought, and the cheesgrater rail. Ooh and the two-dollar sandblasted finish. Yeah, I don't care much for those things.

I think they had it right with the Frontier. And they blued it to boot. :wink:
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I agree the Frontier rifle looks good. I have never seen one – not in a gunstore or at a gun show.
I admit I am not overwhelmed by “tacti-cool.” When I look at these rifles I am thinking “left hand Remington 600, I like the 600’s in 350 Rem Mag. I have loaded for and shot the 350 RM and the 35 Whelen quite a bit and enjoy both cartridges. I like the .35 caliber wildcat based on the .300 RCM. I am a .35 caliber guy and this is a wildcat that interests me. I am approaching 60 and live in West Texas; I will make do with my 356 and a 358 Winchesters.
Back to the short rifles, I like a compact rifle which is easy to stores in a plane or on a four-wheeler. I don’t need high capacity magazines but the detachable magazine is convenient when you may load and unload a rifle four or five times in one day.
Slim
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:( I don't see the Frontier in the lineup anymore.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Have yet to shoot one, though i've handled several.

Friends with the guys at XS sights, who've had one since before it was released to the public (as they developed the sight rail for it) and they all love the thing for being short handy and accurate.

Not coincidentally most of us are prior service and have no issues with the 'look'.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

william iorg wrote:I don’t need high capacity magazines but the detachable magazine is convenient when you may load and unload a rifle four or five times in one day.
Yep. That's one reason my Ruger 96/44 gets as much or more field-time as my Marlin 1894 - I may have to cross several roads where I hunt, and loading/unloading a tubular magazine (unless you have one of the tube-loading Rossi's) over and over is annoying!

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
william iorg wrote:I don’t need high capacity magazines but the detachable magazine is convenient when you may load and unload a rifle four or five times in one day.
Yep. That's one reason my Ruger 96/44 gets as much or more field-time as my Marlin 1894 - I may have to cross several roads where I hunt, and loading/unloading a tubular magazine (unless you have one of the tube-loading Rossi's) over and over is annoying!
You have to unload to walk across a road?! :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

LOL, just what I was thinking. Maybe it's an annoying local law, or game reg?
Anyhoo, I shot the Scout a couple times at the last demo event here. The two rounds from the bench were very comfortable. I felt more of the punch from a standing position. I have NO idea what ammo Ruger provided, but I am sure it was nothing more than plain-Jane factory FMJ. I didn't think anything at all of the blast. Since I was LH, shooting a RH action, I can't really advise on speed or smoothness, but....suffice to say, I like the package. Bringing out in LH was a smart choice.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Muzzle blast? depends who you talk to i guess --- It is no more than a 16" barreled AR-10, and far less than a Thompson Encore pistol chambered in a rifle cartridge

PS -- i havent shot the Gunsite rifle but have shot a 16" barrel Frontier, plus my own .243 with a 16" barrel, -- and a lot of off the wall cartridges out of 10" to 15" encores

7mm rem Mag out of a 15" Encore will define the term muzzle blast ---- (i dont recommend -- the huge fireball at the end tells me a lot of wasted powder goes up in smoke with standard loads though -- but a .308, 7mm-08 or a 243? - not so much )
----- Doug
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

I have a gunsite scout that I bought when they first came out. I like it alot. I have steel and plastic mag's and all work fine. I like the 3 round mag's. I don't find the muzzle blast bad at all, or the recoil. The rifle is heavy but balances well for me. I shoot it pretty good offhand. I took off the rail and mounted a leupold 1.75-5 with the supplied ring's. It's plenty accurate and a good trigger. I like the rifle a lot, give's a lot of options right out of the box.
Karl