Wildcat thoughts...again

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Wildcat thoughts...again

Post by Marlin32 »

Okay folks, here is what I am up to now. Need some thoughts and opinions, objective or otherwise, before I make it final.

Planning on necking up the 338 Marlin Express case to take a .348 bullet.
Have respected gunsmith willing to take on the project and have a ball park figure on the conversion.

My Rationale is this: I struggle with the Marlin 338. Great idea, but poor execution. Only a handful of bullets available, the FTX which I have issues with coming apart at shorter ranges, and not expanding at all at longer ranges. The 250 Rem Core Lokt is pretty good bullet, but past 250yds, it is out of steam. Hawk bullets I think would be okay for deer, but not larger game at longer distances.

Barnes makes a 220gr and a 250gr Bullet for the 348. Both with very good BC's for a lever round. (better BC than the Speer 220gr in 358) Kodiak also makes a 250gr bullet I am interested in also. I think I can do no worse than 338ME velocities in this cartridge, but would be using a better bullet. Plus, I think I can get a little bit better velocity out of it, thus giving me a bit more range with either the 220 or the 250 and get closer to shooting a .348 in a Marlin, so to speak.

I chose the .348 over the .358 as I think I have a bullet selection in the .348. The only bullet I really like in the .358 is the Speer, and the Barnes in .348 is better in my opinion. Although the .358 is not entirely out of question, as it will be easier and cheaper conversion. But I am almost pretty set on the .348 conversion at the moment.

Okay, let me have it. I want to hear all.

I chose the Marlin over a Win/Browning 71 in actual .348 so that I can fit it with a normal scope set up.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Re: Wildcat thoughts...again

Post by KWK »

Sounds reasonable. The only concern I can see is the difference between cartridge and case length, ie. the length of the bullet exposed. In the .348, about .54 protrudes, but the Marlin dimensions I got off the web say .71 is. To use the cannelure, you'll need a shorter COL in your .348. I think the Marlin rifle will take that fine, but you might want to ask your gunsmith.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I would go with the .358 as there are so many pistol type bullets you can use, to plink with,along with the multitude of bullet moulds available if you cast your own. You could also go with a 375/338!!
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

the 338 has better ballistics BC&SD than the 348 for long range work as you have talked about in the past you whacked a animal at 250 yds plus, heres a thought get some norma bullets the oryx or even speers grand slam in 338 do some penetration shots if they work go for accuracy loads Sam Falda uses grand slams in a 30-30 no problems. I use a 348 in the dark timber for elk. get a Lee FCD to crimp to the proper length for your cartridge .danny
http://www.norma.cc/en/Products/Compone ... ma-Alaska/
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I like your idea - somewhat unique and it gets you what you want. Personally Id be more intested in a BLR platform to use a 338 Federal or 358 WSM (custom) and pointy bullets. I like the 250 Nosler Partition and 250 Kodiak in .358 and then there's the Rhino in 225 or 250 gr. I dont think you could ever get the same downrange ballistics with the flat and round nose compared to the spire points. However, the bullets in 348 that you cite are known to be very good. Grizzly Cartridge tested some 250 gr Kodiaks on water buffalo as did RKrodle. The 348 pushed them to where they penetrated and held together enough to be very effective on short range buffalo. The Barnes "O" has a great reputation too. Best of luck with your venture!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Thanks all. And 86er, you would be correct, I will never match the downrange ballistics of a pointy bullet, and if Hornady would pull their head out and put that gummy tip on a better bullet, I would have had no post.

I am aware of bullet lengths, COL etc, working on that. If that doesn't fly or I have to trim cases and/or lose capacity, then I am back to square one. And probably going the BLR 338 conversion route or simply buy a 358BLR and quit pulling my hair out. But that is no fun.

Did whack a moose ( who is now home by the way, not on the wall yet, but will this weekend) at 266 or so yards. I had great broadside shot off of a tripod and made good shot. IF the animal was farther out or standing differently, I probably would not have taken the shot, or If I had, not sure I could have driven that bullet to where it needed to go. Hopefully the Barnes bullets will give me the extra little bit. We shall see. I will post when I decide, and if and when project gets started.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

6.5-30.