Ruger 22/45 Lite

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Ruger 22/45 Lite

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I did not want to hijack crs's thread on his suppressed Ruger 22/45.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=42583

I recently acquired a Ruger 22/45 Lite which will sport my suppressor when the tax stamp finally comes in. For those not familiar with the "Lite", it is just Ruger, once again, paying attention to what the market wants and seeing what aftermarket changes are most popular. The 22/45 Lite has a light-weight aluminum gold-adonized barrel sleeve, and the frame is made of polymer. I knew the gun would be light, but honestly, it felt like a toy the first time I picked it up. I really liked Jeff Quinn's write-up on the gun, and managed to find one on GunBroker at a decent price.

Well, I've already started to customize the gun a bit, which is what I normally do with most my guns. What do you think?

Changes:

Pearce finger-groove grip base.
DURA Grip "Gold Punisher" smooth black polymer grips
Tactical Solutions barrel compensator (when the suppressor is not in use)

Oh, I can't wait for the suppressor!!!
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Ruger 22/45 Lite

Post by Stan in SC »

Man,what a nice one!Looking forward to hear how it shoots.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The gold in the grip's "Punisher" skull matches the gold of the adonized barrel pretty nicely. Can't wait to get the can on it! :D
1894c

Post by 1894c »

dangerous...very dangerous... :)
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I checked out a Tactical Solutions upper today myself, I plan on buying it later this week and getting a suppressor too; seems like a lot of that going around here lately.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You're gonna love it....!

What kind of suppressor did you decide to get...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That is very cool!

I've got a plain old 22/45 that I bought for my fiance. It shoots great, but the grip has always been a little thin for me. Might have to check out some grips like those. 8)
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

TedH wrote:Might have to check out some grips like those. 8)
I believe on that model that any "1911" grips do work. The only thing might be the bolt hold-back, which would only require a bit of an angle off the upper front corner of the left panel.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

How does it shoot?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BobM wrote:I checked out a Tactical Solutions upper today myself, I plan on buying it later this week and getting a suppressor too; seems like a lot of that going around here lately.
I think Ruger saw all the business Tactical Solutions was getting with their upper sales, and decided to get into the game. they did the same thing with heavy-barreled 10/22's... :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:You're gonna love it....!

What kind of suppressor did you decide to get...?
YHM. I am waiting on it. I saw your posted months later on using a .223 can for .22's. Wish I would have thought of that!

Oh well - I guess I'll need to get a .223 can at some point, though the next one will probably be a .308... :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

TedH wrote:That is very cool!

I've got a plain old 22/45 that I bought for my fiance. It shoots great, but the grip has always been a little thin for me. Might have to check out some grips like those. 8)

Ted, you'd like these grips. Much fuller - feels more like a 1911! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:
TedH wrote:Might have to check out some grips like those. 8)
I believe on that model that any "1911" grips do work. The only thing might be the bolt hold-back, which would only require a bit of an angle off the upper front corner of the left panel.

Correct. The Pearce grip addition (finger grooves) is actually for the 1911. The screw holes are in the exact same place. I just had to trim off a bit of the one panel to fit.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

msmith1228 wrote:How does it shoot?

Haven't got it out yet. I've been traveling and Y2K was at Boy Scout Summer Camp. He told me in no uncertain terms that if I went out to shoot it without taking him he'd put me in a home when I got old! :shock:
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

I can sure appreciate that pistola! What would you say cost to build that exact pistol starting with the gun from Buds?
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I saw your posted months later on using a .223 can for .22's. Wish I would have thought of that!

Oh well - I guess I'll need to get a .223 can at some point, though the next one will probably be a .308... :D
You mean these comments. . . < link > >> Suppressor Comments. . . ?

If you really want to 'suppress' a full-house .308 (vs. one using subsonic loads), you'll need a big and expensive suppressor.

Check out the Liberty Suppressors 'Mystic' though - it would do for any .358" and below subsonic rounds, plus many lesser-caliber super-sonic ones, like .223 full-house loads, etc...
http://www.libertycans.net/mystic.html wrote:The Mystic is rated for the
following calibers.

22 Hornet
22 K Hornet
218 Bee
223 REM - 16" BBL
30 PPC - Subsonic
30 Carbine
32-20
357 MAG
221 Fireball
32 S&W Long
32 H&R Magnum
9X18
9X19 (Base Caliber)
38 Super
38 Special
38 S&W
357 Max - Subsonic
338 Spectre
300 BLK
300 Whisper
300/221
308 Win- Subsonic
all rimfire cartridges
5.45x39MM Russian
We now rate it for the 300 BLK in
both supersonic and subsonic on
an 8" barrel
It comes apart for cleaning, making it perfect for cast bullets and rimfires... 8)
Got one on order but they are backordered (no big deal since you'll wait on the tax stamp anyway - you don't buy suppressors in a hurry).

It doesn't seem any worse proportion-wise on a pistol than my Trek (actually it's lighter weight, smaller diameter, and just a tad longer, if I remember right). Here's a picture from their website of it on a pistol...

Personally, I don't really see much point in suppressed handguns (other than .22's or Contender pistols) but am looking forward to using it on some long guns.

Here's a video from the Liberty Suppressor's website (and no, I'm not on their sales-force):

For those who haven't been around suppressors, they are NOT as quiet as in the movies, unless you use subsonic ammunition, so don't be surprised in the video at the sound. At a recent 'HUSH Indiana' suppressor shoot, the Mystic was definitely as 'quiet' as any of the other comparable cans. The folks using them with subsonic ammo you could barely tell were shooting; even on an AR-15, it sounded like a 'gallery load' from a .22 Short rifle.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's super cool!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

.Dirty-.Thirty wrote:I can sure appreciate that pistola! What would you say cost to build that exact pistol starting with the gun from Buds?
Building it would be more expensive than buying one from Ruger. You can buy a polymer-framed 22/45, but to get the upper from Tactical Solutions, you are talking at least two c-notes (more like $250). The nice thing about the "22/45 Lite" is that you are only buying one upper. That saves you a bunch.