MUZZLE LOADING SHOTGUN

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

MUZZLE LOADING SHOTGUN

Post by barbarossa »

Thinking about buying a muzzleloading shotgun and was wondering do you prefer a single barrel or double bp shotgun?
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Re: MUZZLE LOADING SHOTGUN

Post by Gobblerforge »

I have hunted with my double barrel for some two decades or so now and I have often thought that since I have only used the second barrel a few times it would be a lot lighter if it was only a single barrel. I have hunted with doubles for most of my life and love the looks and feel of them. The only problem I have ever realy had was that if loaded with shot in both barrels, if you shoot the right barrel a few times with out shooting the left barrel, the recoil will cause the shot in the left barrel to push the over shot card towards the muzzle slowly and then turned enough that the shot can run out when the muzzle is pointed down. I got in the hablt of running the ram rod down both barrels when I loaded one just to re-seat the over shot card in the other.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Double. Anything less is a "Trade Gun"... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I really prefered my single barrel, too much smoke to see anything to use the second barrel on.. :lol:
Gobbler is right about the unfired barrel too.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
windy
Levergunner

Post by windy »

i like a double fer hunting--takes a long time to come up with a "foller-up" shot with a single barrel. that said, i carry my flintlock trade gun fer grouse 'n rabbits more often than i carry one of th' three doubles; it's just cooler, and way lighter than my double flinter. i pack a light double fer chukars 'n quail, and use wool felt soaked in salt-free lard fer wadding 'cause it don't smoulder in th' cheat grass 'n sagebrush. most of my huntin' with muzzleloaders has been fer deer er fer ducks. i bought a 10-bore pedersoli from cabela's for th' duck huntin'; shoot 1-1/8 oz. of number 1 steel over 120gr of FFg, with cut-down nylon shot cups (the ones made fer steel shot; they don't melt in yer bore like th' soft ones do); i get about 1275 ft/sec thataway, which is about what ye need to kill ducks effectively with steel. if th' wind ain't blowin' ye do hafta wait to see whether yer duck flies, or falls, outta the smoke cloud. i don't have a dog, so i wanta wait to make sure i ain't got a cripple, afore i touch off th' second barrel fer another duck. tell ye true, though, i've caught myself starin' down a capped, loaded barrel with th' hammer cocked more'n once, whist i was loadin' up after a one-shot volley! if duck huntin's part of yer game, git a stout double, like th' pedersoli; light ones can't handle th' recoil of a full-deck waterfowl load. try it; ye'll like it! you won't git quite as many critters, but they'll taste better'n anything ye kill with a supository weapon!
mind yer topknots!
windy

sonny, whar i growed up, "magnum" wuz jist another word fer "lousy hunter".
sonny, whar i growed up, "magnum" wuz another word fer "lousy hunter".
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I m trying to decide between these two the first one is a Pedersoli Baker style shotgun with a single selective trigger and back action locks the other is a Pedersoli Mortimer flintlock BOTH IN 12GA

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

windy wrote:... and use wool felt soaked in salt-free lard fer wadding 'cause it don't smoulder in th' cheat grass 'n sagebrush. ...
Bless you Sir. 8)

OI - Wildland Firefighter...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

I love my double, it is a 10Ga. Pedersoli, it has a semi pistol grip on it, I had one several years ago with the english straight grip, I liked it better, but they are still cool, mine had interchangeable chokes also.
Terry
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

barbarossa wrote:I m trying to decide between these two the first one is a Pedersoli Baker style shotgun with a single selective trigger and back action locks the other is a Pedersoli Mortimer flintlock BOTH IN 12GA

I had a Mortimer capper in 12. Very nice lock and nice gun but,,,,,!

You have to shoot it Edwardian style! That means with yer head up! Once I learnt that I took a fair number of birds with it. Pedersoli don't recomend more than 1 1/8th oz in the Mortimer but 1 1/4oz in the double.

I only ever have double trigger what ever the double gun! Seen to many fiddling going on with single selective types!

Single barrels do seem to shoot a ball a little easier! Mass produced doubles don't have much time spent regulating the two barrels good enough for ball but usually one barrel should deliver.

One Pedersoli double I had to regulate the barrels by filing the muzzles! It shot the patterns no where near to where I was looking! I fixed it and went on to make a mandril and jug choke it.

Good luck.

N.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
windy
Levergunner

Post by windy »

of them two, i'd say th' mortimer'd be better fer ducks; it'd handle the heavier waterfowl loads better. that other'n looks nice & light; probly too light fer a lot o' duck huntin', but it'd sure be my choice fer them dang chukars--them hills are gittin' too steep to pack a heavy shootin' iron after them critters. i haven't shot a mortimer; they always looked too straight in th' stock to fit me fer wing-shootin', but i'm told they're awfully well-made 'n stout. i think ye can get a separate rifle barrel fer 'em, too. i have shot th' two-trigger sidelock version of th' other'n; loved it, but let it get away.
mind yer topknot!
windy

sonny, whar i growed up, "magnum" wuz jist another word fer "lousy hunter".
sonny, whar i growed up, "magnum" wuz another word fer "lousy hunter".
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A single selective trigger on a Muzzle Loader????? :shock:

Better keep it clean, any powder residue that gets near it may turn it into a singleshot.

Windy,
I too have found myself looking down a loaded and capped barrel, another reason I prefered my single barrel over my double.

Nath,
I thought I was the only one who insisted on double triggers.. :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

game keeper wrote:...Nath,
I thought I was the only one who insisted on double triggers.. :lol:
I guess I'm #3 on your list... I dislike single selectives immensely.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yeah, a friend use to scoff untill one day a goose came in and he dropped it. After the retrieve he decided to reload. Out popped the empty from his posh Berreta (or is that Beretta) just as two more geese come in fast.

With out reloading he shuts the gun on the one loaded chamber from the previouse goose yeah! You guessed it, up came the gun and nothing! Not only nothing but no recoil to switch the trigger :lol:

I took one of them with my trusty double triggers :lol: Oh boy did I rub that in :lol:

N :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Larryo-1
Levergunner

Post by Larryo-1 »

Well fellows--I built my own muzzle loading shotgun back in the 70's. It is a double barrel 10gauge. I used a set of barrels from an old cartridge gun and the locks were also from a cartridge gun. I machined the hook breeches for the barrels and made the locks so that they had a half cock rather than rebounding. When this thing was test fired, we tied it to a truck tire and got behind my truck with about 10 feet of fish line to yank on the triggers. This thing (beast) weighs only about 9 pounds but is one hell of a goose gun. I have even shot it in competition a couple of times. The current load that I have great success with is 5 drams of FFG and 2 ounces of shot. Works great on both ends unless you are dumb enough to bet you can stand up to pulling both triggers at once. A couple of my friends did just that and landed on their BUTTOCKS!!. The point that i am making here is that if you can---build your own--you will savor it more than a store bought one. But if you can't do that---these Petersoli shotguns are very fine pieces of work either in the 10 or the 12 gauges. So there you are. :D
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I put together a CVA double kit last winter and plan on using for woodcock this fall. I think I would prefer a single barrel for hunting though, lighter and less chance of accidently loading the second barrel twice in the heat of the moment. I really like the looks of the Mortimer guns, but then I have a fondness foe english guns. I put the CVA kit together since it was a gift and missing some parts, works fine now and looks real nice and should suffice for doodles. Good luck.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I m thinking I ll probably go with the Mortimer,might put a set of sights on it and use it with round ball as well.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Will you start wearing tweeds and stop now and then for a spot of tea. Good choice anyhow, hope to hear more.