StaBil ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

StaBil ?

Post by Blaine »

:oops: Will it do anygood to add it after the gas got old? If not, I'll put it in the truck and fill the tank...(it's about 2 Gal. from last fall for my little 6hp Nissan)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Re: StaBil ?

Post by 41 Redhawk »

No Sir, best to blend in some good and hope for the best as far as the carburetor is concerned. If it's premix in the tank and carb you may be more lucky.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Stabil ? thats one thing I'm not.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

walks with gun wrote:Stabil ? thats one thing I'm not.
You and me, both.....I not only ride the Crazy Train -- I own it. :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Best is fresh gas, but if its sat add fresh. There is some staff Called "Startron". Blue liquid, follow directions, it'll fix bad gas. Saved about 150 gal in my boat a year ago.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Most gas is more stable than most realize. I've used gas that was a couple years old with no problems at all. I've also used gas that was up to 5 or 6 years old with some funny performance, but still ran when mixed with fresh gas. It smalled vanishy, but ran. I used up 30 gallons that way, mixed 1/3-2/3 with fresh gas in my Nissan pickup. None of the older gas I've used has had any treatment at all. I think the biggest problem is gas drying up in the carb or injector system, not the gas itself. I've left my chain saw sit for over a year several times, probably two years a time or two, it ran ok after a few extra pulls. I think the oil in the fuel helps in that case.

I think the gas with ethanol in it isn't as stable as the old type gas, but still is better than most realize. Keeping the container tightly capped helps with ethanol gas I believe. Stabil doent hurt, but I dont know if it helps after the gas has been sitting a while.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

If it is in a can, use it. Problems start when left in the fuel system without an additive- even then just from last fall wouldn't bother Me a bit. I have never bought a bottle of Stabil. But if I get caught with My hands in the cookie Jar (so to speak) I am a Mechanic and can fix it. disclaimer- try at Ur own risk.
Perry
Oh as to Ur ?-- I don't know
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

For many many years I did nothing with my riding lawn mower over the winter. It would be a little balky to start in the spring but it always finally fired off and ran. One fall I decided to try Stabil so see if it improved the spring start up. Next spring mower would not start period! Drained the treated gas both tank and carb added fresh and away we went. Tossed the rest of the Stabil I had in the trash. That was my experience with the product.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I get engines in on a daily basis that have had fuel stored in them for extended periods of time.
Some are so bad that you have to scrape the crud out of the carburetors to try to save them and the rotten smelling fuel can drive you out of the shop. :x
Old fuel cant be made good again with any additive. It reverts back to its basics,rotting plant life,dinosaur DNA,water, etc. :lol:
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

we use the marine grade stabil here and have no problems.