The old Winchester lever action shotgun...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

The old Winchester lever action shotgun...

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

I have a 1887 built in 1895 in 10gauge and I dont think its been fired in the last 40 odd years, I was always told something broke in it, Dad said needed new firing pin. So I have it out today looking it over. I want to be able to load some blackpowder loads and bag a squirrel or 3 with it. Looking at it today in the firing pin hole, the firing pin sits back inside almost a 1/4" from the opening, when I open the action and push against the pin where the hammer falls it only slightly moves forward. For you that own one, is this normal? As far as I know it might shoot right now, but my Dad said when he and his brothers were little they would catch thier Dad gone and sneak it out and dry fire it thousands of times. Are these easy for a novice to take apart and work on?
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Re: The old Winchester lever action shotgun...

Post by perry owens »

The 1887 is simple to work on. If yours was made in 1895 it will have twin extractors - earlier versions had only one. I can send you an exploded diagram, parts list and disassembly instructions if you want.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Squirrels?? Holy moly. Take that thing turkey hunting. I have always been dying to do that, just don't have the lever.
You can buy 10ga BP loads too, I can even be lazy about it.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

There's a guy in one of the local cowboy action clubs that runs an original 10-gauge 1887 with heavy black powder loads. Boy ti's fun to listen that thing booming on the line!
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

I sent a email to TaylorsFirearms in Winchester, Va but have not heard anything back from them. They show they have a firing pin for the 1887 for sale. Does anyone else have a source where I can get a firing pin to fit it?
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

Marlin 32 If it shoots good enough then it jut might go turkey hunting for the Fall season. My Great Grandpa had it first in the family and I think it was mainly for shooting hound ran foxes. But I'd say many a squirrel and rabbit has been "blown up" by it :shock:

Perry Owens I sent you a PM with my email address for those diagrams and instructions.

Bill in Oregon I am looking forward to hearing that boom for the first time myself!!