Possible new muzzleloader

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Possible new muzzleloader

Post by barbarossa »

I ve been getting back into muzzleloading lately as it was my first interest when I started shooting, actually it was the reason I got into shooting.So I ve decided to build up a battery of not so common muzzleloaders with the idea of hunting being the theme and with that in mind I m thinking on adding this one to my collection, a U.S. Calvalry carbine replica in 58cal.It has a 22 inch barrel with swivel ramrod and saddle ring and bar.I figure it will make a nice handy Deer gun in the brush where shots are no more than 50 yards or so plus this gun just has that neat factor going for it.What do you think.

walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Possible new muzzleloader

Post by walks with gun »

I like it, who makes it. ?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

That should do nicely
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Very nice rifle.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm so partial to the Hawkins rifles that anything else looks funny! Although I gotta say, the Pennsylvania and Kentucky rifles are very fine also. That looks like it'll balance nicely. Smoothbore?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

No it s rifled.It has a custom Bob Hoyt barrel with shallow three groove rifling done in the old way.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Mmmmmm, I loves me some carbines! Go for it! :mrgreen:
barbarossa wrote:swivel ramrod
What's a swivel ramrod? :?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

The ramrod is permanently attached to a lug under the barrel, in use it is withdrawn and swivels out toward the bore and then replaced in a like fashion.They were designed so that while loading on horseback you didn t have to worry about losing the ramrod .
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Most aggreable :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

For the last few years, I have wanted a replica of a Lorenz calvary Carbine, riled, approx. .71 caliber, with a 14.5 in barrel. I've seen a few originals I could almost afford, but don't want to do alot of shooting with a 150 year old gun.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... category=4

Kind of like this one. But a replica.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Hey barbarossa.. Me too...That is a cool rifle... Very handy!...I’ve wanted one about that size but in smoothbore....I believe Nath has a very similar looking gun to what you have posted a pic of..(a smooth bore 58 cal Enfield I believe) that I keep an eye out for... I’ve read 50 yd accuracy with a smoothbore can be gotten down to the 3-4 inch range with patched round ball ... good enough for busting bambi...but also capable of birds , rabbits or whatever with shot.. Versatile....I’d like a .69 cal smoothbore though...That’s like a 16ga... Nobody offers one that I know of... Well, Dixie offers a smoothbore caplock in 69... a replicated a caplock conversion of the 1816 flintlock smooth bore pictured below but with a whopping 42 in long bbl.. I day dream of having one cut down (Whitacre’s?) a foot to get a 30 in. bbl...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yes Ben !

My Enfield smooth will take a rabbit very often to 40yds, head shot!

Longest rabbit was 60 paces (not head shot!).

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Nice pic Nath.. I like that one!..Yes very cool what you do with your smoothbore... Hey junkbug... Here's a pic of what your carbine in the link looked like before the conversion to caplock.. The pic is from a 1933 Bannerman catalogue I have...I'd love to find one of 'em.. I imagine they were feared!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

barbarossa wrote:The ramrod is permanently attached to a lug under the barrel, in use it is withdrawn and swivels out toward the bore and then replaced in a like fashion.They were designed so that while loading on horseback you didn t have to worry about losing the ramrod .
OK, thanks! Now I gotta get visions of these short BP burners out of my head... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

SWEET !!!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

"The ramrod is permanently attached to a lug under the barrel, in use it is withdrawn and swivels out toward the bore and then replaced in a like fashion.They were designed so that while loading on horseback you didn t have to worry about losing the ramrod "

This is one gun where you don't want to forget to remove the rammer from the barrel before firing.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Hawkeye2 wrote:"The ramrod is permanently attached to a lug under the barrel, in use it is withdrawn and swivels out toward the bore and then replaced in a like fashion.They were designed so that while loading on horseback you didn t have to worry about losing the ramrod "

This is one gun where you don't want to forget to remove the rammer from the barrel before firing.
:lol: I never thought of that :lol: !!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Navy Arms had the similar Buffalo Hunter, but blued with a shorter forestock - an altered 1863 Remington Zoave clone, made in Italy, IIRC.

http://www.navyarms.com/files/buffalohunter.pdf

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice looking carbine. I had an article years back that was titled something like ONE MAN'S QUEST FOR AN ACCURATE MUSKET. A fellow was looking for a rifled musket to use on a pronghorn hunt. He found out that as he increased the powder charge accuracy went up, but he got to a point where the skirt was blowing out on the Minie ball. He ended up having to turn down the plug to increse the thickness of the skirt. IIRC he ended up with a load that was on par with a .45-70 load and he got his pronghorn.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

barbarossa wrote:I ve been getting back into muzzleloading lately as it was my first interest when I started shooting, actually it was the reason I got into shooting.So I ve decided to build up a battery of not so common muzzleloaders with the idea of hunting being the theme and with that in mind I m thinking on adding this one to my collection, a U.S. Calvalry carbine replica in 58cal.It has a 22 inch barrel with swivel ramrod and saddle ring and bar.I figure it will make a nice handy Deer gun in the brush where shots are no more than 50 yards or so plus this gun just has that neat factor going for it.What do you think.

Those are neat. There's a few originals in Cody, and I like the looks better than most. You do need to put a "coffee mill" (really a grain mill for foraging) in the stock though.

Who sells that?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

What's not to like?

I have a modelst collection of ML's... but I haven't dirtied their bores for some time... gotta change that after we move.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Well boys I went and did it, I bought the carbine.Lucky for me I have a couple of 58cal minie moulds and a round ball mould on hand to start with hopefully I will get her so I will have enough time to play with before the hunting season(as I have to import her here to Canada)One good thing about this gun is as it has a Bob Hoyt custom barrel that is rifled with the same twist etc as the originals so it should do well in the accuracy dept.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Congrats.. You got a dandy! 8) 8) 8)
WIL TERRY
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

barbarossa wrote:Well boys I went and did it, I bought the carbine.Lucky for me I have a couple of 58cal minie moulds and a round ball mould on hand to start with hopefully I will get her so I will have enough time to play with before the hunting season(as I have to import her here to Canada)One good thing about this gun is as it has a Bob Hoyt custom barrel that is rifled with the same twist etc as the originals so it should do well in the accuracy dept.
aaaarrRGGGHHHHHH!

You still haven't told us where you bought it FROM!

Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

8)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I bought it from Track of the Wolf a fellow named Richard Hanson makes them and sells the carbines on their website from time to time.There was one just like mine on there quite a while ago but it was in 69 cal and I decided 69 cal in a 7 pound gun was not for me.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

barbarossa wrote:I bought it from Track of the Wolf a fellow named Richard Hanson makes them and sells the carbines on their website from time to time.There was one just like mine on there quite a while ago but it was in 69 cal and I decided 69 cal in a 7 pound gun was not for me.
Thanks.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!