Follow Up To Harley Post - New Scoot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Follow Up To Harley Post - New Scoot

Post by Blaine »

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere w/most of the goodies.

The '08 Ultra Classic with a good Stage 1 is now for sale. Black is the fastest color :lol:

I rode the demo model for an hour this morning. 1200cc Parallel Twin It's a real handful 110 HP, IIRC, and weighs 575 wet. Very fast, and very agile. The position is like sitting in a chair, knees slightly bent. I think a set of aftermarket risers will have it like sitting in my easy chair. A throttle lock will have to go on soon, as well. This will take me mostly full circle back to riding roots; I'm tired of heavy cruisers and such.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Follow Up To Harley Post - New Scoot

Post by Pitchy »

Grats, keep er under a 100 now 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pitchy wrote:Grats, keep er under a 100 now 8)
I was tooling about 65 in 6th, downshifted to 4th, hit it, and was at 100 in just a very short time. I've never rode anything this fast. They claim mid-11 second 1/4s :o I'll have to be careful.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Wow, Blaine's become a scooter ninja.

:wink: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Please report back after you've run it a couple of months. Been seeing a number of comments about them on with the adventure riding/dual sport crowd.

I was looking one over at the shiny store the other day. That's a non-issue for me now since the KLR650 is barely a year old so there's no replacement pending there. And if there was, this forum would be short a member as Management knows where most of my guns are hidden. (grin) Would no go well for me if I rolled something else new home.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice. Looks like my new bike on steroids. Great choice.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ok Blaine,

I'm gonna be in the Bellinghan or Mount Vernon, WA area on Sunday/Monday; coming out of Salmon Arm, BC on Fri with freight, (if I can find any), otherwise, empty. Gonna pick up Tues @ NAS Whidbey Is. Now you have an excuse for a "road trip"! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:Ok Blaine,

I'm gonna be in the Bellinghan or Mount Vernon, WA area on Sunday/Monday; coming out of Salmon Arm, BC on Fri with freight, (if I can find any), otherwise, empty. Gonna pick up Tues @ NAS Whidbey Is. Now you have an excuse for a "road trip"! :P
I'll won't be picking it up until Tuesday evening....Signed late today, they are closed Monday :( Coming down I-5?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:I'll won't be picking it up until Tuesday evening....Signed late today, they are closed Monday :( Coming down I-5?
As far as I-90, as I'm headed off to VA. Tho' I'm toying with the idea of heading all the way down to Portland... fuel's cheaper there ya know!!! But, it's a LONG way out of the way!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nice.....

Dont forget Biketober fest in Daytona! :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I'll won't be picking it up until Tuesday evening....Signed late today, they are closed Monday :( Coming down I-5?
As far as I-90, as I'm headed off to VA. Tho' I'm toying with the idea of heading all the way down to Portland... fuel's cheaper there ya know!!! But, it's a LONG way out of the way!
:(

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:
Griff wrote:
:(
Face it... you're just at the wrong end of the BIG loop!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Blaine - That thing is hot !!

I went to Yamaha's website after you posted the pic of this bike in the other thread. Got a question for you: Does this bike have what you'd honestly call an upright riding position ? A couple years back I looked into getting a bike again. It'd been years since I had one, but I figured that when you're in your fifties you're supposed to do this, right ?

Anyway, the only things that came close for the riding position I was interested in were some of the Sportsters and the Suzuki V-Strom 1000. The V-Strom 650's seemed a little cramped for me, and I'm just 6'0" and 200 lb. I'm way too stiff to be interested in riding while all hunched over on a sportbike like the kids do, but I like these bikes that are kind of hybrids of sorts, with a fairly upright riding position.

I'm interested in anything you have to say about riding position, and other observations about this bike. Oh yeah ... Congratulations !! And be careful. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's not hunched over even a little bit....I'm sitting upright, and only leaning a hair....I've got short arms and legs, and plan on a set of 1" handlebar risers very soon. I'm thinking you could reach perfectly.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

As one who is trying my darnedest to get my first Harley built and running, I'm speachless. :lol: Nice looking ride my man.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That Is sharp! I sold my last bike about two years ago. Been getting the itch for another one. I'll have to take a look at one of those.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Wow, that's cool. Kinda like a super , super moto touring.

Owen
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Looks Great. Just be Carefull, I'd have a hard time avoiding tickets on that. one thing that brings out the Kid in Me is a fast bike. :o .
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

EXTREMELY COOL! :D

Beautiful looking bike!

My only present motorcycle :cry: ---------------(and I am 6'4" 246lbs)
A 1976 Yamaha DT 175 :o :oops: (off road)

Hey at least I got my 700 Grizz :D :idea:

Blaine(that is NICE) :mrgreen:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I read a test of that bike in "Dirt Bike" magazine no less ! They were testing the adventure bikes, and i think included the BMW's and KLR 650 and a few others
Looks like a very nice scoot! I really like the hard bags on it too!

Dixieboy, you might try one of these, the seating position is much closer to that of a dirt bike than a crotch rocket

I see your dealer is a KTM dealer too, --- i would have a lot to look at in a place like that :D
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Streetstar wrote:I read a test of that bike in "Dirt Bike" magazine no less ! They were testing the adventure bikes, and i think included the BMW's and KLR 650 and a few others
Looks like a very nice scoot! I really like the hard bags on it too!

Dixieboy, you might try one of these, the seating position is much closer to that of a dirt bike than a crotch rocket

I see your dealer is a KTM dealer too, --- i would have a lot to look at in a place like that :D
Later this year, they are adding Kawasaki and Norton to their lineup.....It's a real superstore. This is the 3rd rig I've got there. You have to fight for every penny, tho. I finally got the accessories at cost, and a 200 buck Customer Cash cert. I can send in about three weeks from now. Sill, it's about 3-4 thousand less than the BMW, which was 19,000 firm w/o accessories.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

I sold BMW for four years. KTM was the only thing close to us, as far as quality and competitiveness. When that ST debuted, I knew it would take a bite.

You did good, Blaine! Stay on top of your break-in service. Hell, I'd do an oil change (alone) at 100mis just to rid it of some of the particulates. Then, she'd have another 400 or so on it if they recommend the B/I at 500mis.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Dixieboy, I just bought the Suzuki 650 v-stromadventure package and I'm 6'2" and a 32" inseam and don't feel cramped at all. I am currently very pleased with it and it is really easy at the gas pump. Same color as blaine's!!! Anyway, not sure if you had a chance to ride one. If not, give it arty.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

pneuby wrote:I sold BMW for four years. KTM was the only thing close to us, as far as quality and competitiveness. When that ST debuted, I knew it would take a bite.

You did good, Blaine! Stay on top of your break-in service. Hell, I'd do an oil change (alone) at 100mis just to rid it of some of the particulates. Then, she'd have another 400 or so on it if they recommend the B/I at 500mis.
If it doesn't have a magnetic drain plug, that's a fer sure early upgrade :idea:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Griff wrote: Tho' I'm toying with the idea of heading all the way down to Portland... fuel's cheaper there ya know!!! But, it's a LONG way out of the way!
a little late on the draw. :roll:
what route did you choose?
if in or around portland i'm just up the road, may have missed you already.
there are some others nearby as well [ jdad, marlinman.]
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

rjohns94 wrote:Dixieboy, I just bought the Suzuki 650 v-stromadventure package and I'm 6'2" and a 32" inseam and don't feel cramped at all. I am currently very pleased with it and it is really easy at the gas pump. Same color as blaine's!!! Anyway, not sure if you had a chance to ride one. If not, give it arty.
My BIL who lives in the SF Bay area has owned his V-Strom for several years and he's taken it on cruises all the way to Utah and back, he LOVES that bike.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Excellent news :D

I sure you know but all the same,,,,,, just remember to never stare at what you are scared of hitting if you think you going into a turn to fast! This will stop you grabbing the brakes. Using just the rear once in the turn look for your exit and that bike will just keep going over and you will make th turn :D

Forcing one self to look away from your fear and concentrate on the exit is one of the hardest things to do ut once mastered is a life saver. Just watch where the heads of racers on a track are looking in the turns.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nath wrote:Excellent news :D

I sure you know but all the same,,,,,, just remember to never stare at what you are scared of hitting if you think you going into a turn to fast! This will stop you grabbing the brakes. Using just the rear once in the turn look for your exit and that bike will just keep going over and you will make th turn :D

Forcing one self to look away from your fear and concentrate on the exit is one of the hardest things to do ut once mastered is a life saver. Just watch where the heads of racers on a track are looking in the turns.

N.
I still have to work hard at looking ahead in a very fast sweeper. When you're learning, it helps to follow an excellent rider. If gravity doesn't throw him off the road, chances are pretty good that if you keep leaning, you'll be fine, too. Helps to build confidence. It never hurts to be a little cautious of it, though. The cruise control on a twisty road is a stupid idea, too.....Umm, someone told me that. Yeah, I heard about it. :oops: :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The new bike if gorgeous Blaine! A real work of art, but what is with the new trend in boxy airline approved saddlebags recently? Used to be saddlebags matched the bike and looked great.
I understand the new bags are easily removed, but seems they could do that and not have them looking like a square box.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote:The new bike if gorgeous Blaine! A real work of art, but what is with the new trend in boxy airline approved saddlebags recently? Used to be saddlebags matched the bike and looked great.
I understand the new bags are easily removed, but seems they could do that and not have them looking like a square box.
I understand exactly. It's a Euro/BMW thang, I suspect.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

marlinman93 wrote:.. what is with the new trend in boxy airline approved saddlebags recently? I understand the new bags are easily removed, but seems they could do that and not have them looking like a square box.
Bikes like that, designed to be 'adventure-touring' (aka off-road) rigs, have hard-use bags. They have to remain structurally intact, within reason of course, when the bike spills over onto its side. The square box is for maximized internal volume. IF you're in the midst of nowhere, you hope you packed what you might need. :lol:
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Ji - Your BIL's bike looks like the 1000cc version of the V-Strom. I got so excited looking at the pics of Blaine's new bike the other night I went and looked at bikes for more than an hour online. Looked at the Suzuki's too, after Madman talked about his 6'2" frame fitting on the 650 cc version of the same bike.

I'm too broke now to even be dreaming about bikes, and still have, oh ... about 15 firearms on my gotta have list too. But you know what, sometimes you get worked up about these goodies that you want and it can work as a motivator. Know what I mean ? - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

DixieBoy wrote:Ji - Your BIL's bike looks like the 1000cc version of the V-Strom. I got so excited looking at the pics of Blaine's new bike the other night I went and looked at bikes for more than an hour online. Looked at the Suzuki's too, after Madman talked about his 6'2" frame fitting on the 650 cc version of the same bike.

I'm too broke now to even be dreaming about bikes, and still have, oh ... about 15 firearms on my gotta have list too. But you know what, sometimes you get worked up about these goodies that you want and it can work as a motivator. Know what I mean ? - DixieBoy
The BMW Sertao is a very cool adventure bike on a "budget" -- then there's always the KLR 650, which looks pretty trick with a Dakar tank added on and some of those sweet aluminum pannier bags (i'm trying to figure out if i need one or not -- LOL --- a hopped up KLR could scratch the itch at a decent entry price maybe )
----- Doug
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

pneuby wrote:
marlinman93 wrote:.. what is with the new trend in boxy airline approved saddlebags recently? I understand the new bags are easily removed, but seems they could do that and not have them looking like a square box.
Bikes like that, designed to be 'adventure-touring' (aka off-road) rigs, have hard-use bags. They have to remain structurally intact, within reason of course, when the bike spills over onto its side. The square box is for maximized internal volume. IF you're in the midst of nowhere, you hope you packed what you might need. :lol:
Can't believe if they rounded the corners that they'd really lose anything but a little ugly. :)
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote:
pneuby wrote:
Can't believe if they rounded the corners that they'd really lose anything but a little ugly. :)
I'm so ugly they will never notice the square cases :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

BlaineG,

So power is fun, eh? Sounds right to me.

Wish you safety and all kinds of fun!

Don