New Zealand--via--Google Map

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

New Zealand--via--Google Map

Post by getitdone1 »

Just now took a look at a previous post of mine about how many of you are from another country. Found no one mentioned New Zealand. Is anyone in this group from New Zealand? I've spent some time there using the Google map and it's a beautiful country! My aunt and uncle have been there and Australia. About as far as you can travel from here and still find people and towns.

If you'd like to give New Zealand a look try highway 73 through the mountains. Was at another area in New Zealand, forget where now, but it was pretty, green grassy hills and valleys. The vegetation has a different look there. Be some time before I'm finished viewing New Zealand via Google Maps.

As I mentioned on another post--drop that "little guy" down on the road and place the little circle way down the road and click for moving down the road. The arrow keys are nice for turning 360 degrees sometimes. Click for complete, full screen for the best view. Note, I said 'complete.' Makes a nice difference.

Really great. Amazing too.

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobie

Re: New Zealand--via--Google Map

Post by Hobie »

Griff...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Hobie,

Kind of owe Griff an apology. I didn't take enough time with his post in that regard but will now go to it in my "Seeing the World via Google Map" post.

Yep. Went to Griffs response about Arapawa Island, New Zealand and then found it with Google Map. I need to pay a little closer attention to people's responses to my posts. Sure sounds like an interesting place to live.

Griff. Be nice to hear more about your life there, if you're in the mood.

Don
CarlsenHighway
Levergunner

Post by CarlsenHighway »

Hey! What about me! I am still here, and still shooting deer with my Winchester. Got a nice 10 point stag with my
.30/30 this April.
I m in Dunedin but hunt mostly in Fiordland or on the West coast. Started out on my father's Winchester 92 in .44/40.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Aye CarlsenHighway and a couple of other members live there, as I seem to recall.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Never lived there but traveled from the Bay of Islands at the top of the North island all the way down to Invercargill at the bottom of the South Island back in the early 90's. We were visiting some friends who lived in Hamilton and I must admit, I fell in love with the place . . . . and the people. As much as I love Colorado, I could live in New Zealand, however, the wife couldn't take being that far from family.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

CarlsenHighway wrote:Hey! What about me! I am still here, and still shooting deer with my Winchester. Got a nice 10 point stag with my
.30/30 this April.
I m in Dunedin but hunt mostly in Fiordland or on the West coast. Started out on my father's Winchester 92 in .44/40.

beautiful country, nice critters, :mrgreen: .

I try and stay away from google these days though [ tough to do ].
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

getitdone1 wrote:Griff. Be nice to hear more about your life there, if you're in the mood.
Don
What, "suckling babe" too short? :P Mom brought me to the States chasing a wayward father when I was just over a year. Lived here ever since, (except for that period when Uncle Sugar freighted me around)! Was back twice, 1st time when I was 11 (some family event I was too young to be interested in); and again when I was 50, for a family reunion of all descendents of my GGGrandfather. 5600+ invitees, and 1500+ attended the formal dinner... what a hoot! Mom was the farthest traveled, even tho' one cousin (removed x-times) came from England... did you know that England is closer to NZ than TN is? Note to self: don't get up on stage to give a short talk after some ½-dozen or so beers from well-meaning "cousins"! Embarrassed the heck out of Mom, everyone else laughed uproarishly. It was funny, but you had to be there! If they'd told me beforehand, it wouldn't have been quite so... well, funny, might have been all as stuffy as those things can be, but well lubricated... leastways, I kept my sailors tongue locked up tight! 2 others from western Canada, a few from OZ, and rest from all over NZ. Good thing we'd planned well in advance, hotel rooms were simply NOT to be had for two months in advance. The only place in town large enough to hold everyone was the new gymnasium. 3-days of events and tours. I visited the old whaling station on Jackson's Bay, my GGrandfather's home, two musuems of the whaling days, and my place outside Richmond above Tasman Bay, South Island. (Well... my place as in, "in trust"... but conditions to remove from the trust and take possession are just not acceptable at the moment). One 1st cousin raises deer on the North Island, another is a part time guide on the South. There's some 10 of us 1st cousins, 2 here in the States, 1 in OZ and the rest mostly on the North Is. We're all between 70 & 50, and mostly internet communicative.

Let us not even begin to count 2nd, 3rd or 4th cousins (my grandmother was 11th of 14 children)..., let alone those "removed"...! Her father was 2nd of 9 children! Scots/English descent... My mom's paternal grandparents immigrated to NZ in 1879 from Scotland, Mom is 3rd generation NZ, I'm 4th, but being able to trace family back to one of the 1st 50 full-time residents in NZ. The family history is set down in "The Jacksons of Te Awaiti* by Pam Dawber. Boring reading, if it weren't for being part of it!

*pronounced Ta Ah White
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Griff,

Thanks for your personal history regarding New Zealand.

I've been there by way of Google Maps several times and will keep going back. Some really beautiful country there and it seems to me living there would be a little like going back in time. Big, green rolling hills and fields filled with sheep. Of course then you have the beauty of the mountains there. I'm sure I could live there or in Canada just as well as here in the U.S.

You mention ancestors from Scotland. I'm Scotch-Irish and I'd also like to visit Ireland and Scotland. Be interesting to see the area in Ireland where they shot "The Quiet Man" movie starring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. Maureen now lives in Ireland and is 92 yrs old. One of the prettiest women I've ever seen. Have her autobiography.

Don
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

COSteve wrote:Never lived there but traveled from the Bay of Islands at the top of the North island all the way down to Invercargill at the bottom of the South Island back in the early 90's. We were visiting some friends who lived in Hamilton and I must admit, I fell in love with the place . . . . and the people. As much as I love Colorado, I could live in New Zealand, however, the wife couldn't take being that far from family.

Steve, that's funny almost, because I was dying to go and live in Colorado, but my wife wouldn't go because it was too far away from family too...
Plus she was worried about all the crime that you see on the TV shows. I said I never met an American that wasn't the politest, friendlist person you ever met (excepting some of those people on the 24hour Campfire LOL)
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain