OT - Thinking on buying a Ballard

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

OT - Thinking on buying a Ballard

Post by barbarossa »

Hi
I m thinking on buying a new Ballard Far West rifle replica by the Ballard Rifle Company and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them.Also am considering a first model Romano Maynard carbine which would you choose.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

What do you want to do with it?

Romano seems to be quality all the way. Ballard Rifle Company has an excellent reputation. I'm thinking the Ballard, depending on chambering I suppose, has more ballistic potential than the Maynard but let's face it, when you get into these sorts of guns, ballistic potential isn't the first thing in mind. :wink:

Ballard

Maynard
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
SR James
Levergunner

Post by SR James »

As a long time black powder cartridge rifle silhouette shooter, I know lots of guys with Ballards. I'm not familiar with that particular model but that doesn't matter as the quality is the same. They are excellent rifles.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Ya I m kind of leaning toward the Ballard in 45/70 should make a nice deer rifle, though the maynard is cool in its way as well.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Are you going to shoot BP?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Whatever yu use it for, the Ballard will be a better choice. It also will hold it's value much better.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I have a 10 year old Ballard #5 Pacific chambered in .45-2.1" (AKA .45-70). Hard to beat a rifle that has a wiping rod for field use & esp. when shooting black powder.

Shoots extremely well w/ GOEX Fg black powder & a 20:1 Paul Jones Creedmoor style bullet -- 1.5 MOA @ 100 yds.

I don't know 'bout the newer Ballards, but mine has a heavy Badger barrel on it.

The triggers, like the originals, are excellent!

I also have a newer #& LR in .40-65 WCF. It also is a fine rifle.

Ballards, while not exactly inexpensive, are fine rifle -- well made, outstanding fit & finish as well as attention to detail.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Yup I plan on using Bp exculsively.I ve decided to treat myself to a nice once in a life time single shot and I think the Ballard will be it.

Jeff
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Barbarossa: I don't think that you'll be dissatisfied w/ a Ballard.

Some of the following you may already know.

Since you want to shoot Black Powder (BP), here’s a link to an on-line BP reloading manual:
http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/Intr ... oading.pdf

Same document, but in WORD format:
http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/Intr ... oading.doc

Good link for info. on bullet casting:
www.longrangebpcr.com/8Phases.htm

I’ll also put in a plug for Mike Venturino’s “Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West,â€