Brook trout and morels

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Brook trout and morels

Post by BenT »

Every trout opener I go fishing with my father and brother. My father is in the hospital so it wasn't quite the same , but still fun. Here is some small trout with a mushroom.

or is it regular sized trout with a monster sized mushroom!

The trout are just under 11" , I put my cell phone in there to show the size. My wife and daughter were out turkey hunting and it was misty, rainy , wet and no birds to be found. So they went mushrooming and found this monster with a bagfull of others while I was still fishing.

Just so you know in case you were wondering, Yes they were mighty tastey!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Brook trout and morels

Post by Old Ironsights »

Brook trout have no morels.

They will breed with anybody...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I like trout and I like mushrooms. However, a man who taught me most of what I know concerning wilderness survival got veeerrryy sick from eating a false morel one time. As a result . . . aside from not being experienced at it . . . I stay away from gathering wild mushrooms.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Wow Ben that one is a monster!
nice brookies to
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I see a feast in the making.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Shrooms, onions, butter, eggs....mmmmm :)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

My wishes for a speedy recovery for your Dad!!

I found some morels one year that were huge like that, it was at the very end of the morel season and some looking I found quite a few.

I am hoping that the morels will be in season here soon, it is really close to when I start to find them.

Steve
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

BenT, you have two of my Favourite Things right there! The wild Brook Trout is my favourite fish to angle for and the Morel mushroom is quite simply the best of all mushrooms. I fry mine in butter and ...... well, words just cannot describe it. Fried Brookies garnished with morels is a taste of paradise.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

the difference between a heart-healthy and normal cajun recipe?

One stick vs. two sticks of butter.

but with those trout, after you rip them, cut through the ribs along the spine and open them out flat and remove the spine.
Drain 20 minutes on each side and spice the side that is up (I like lemon pepper with a touch of dill)
Lightly flour.
Sautee in browning butter, skin down first, 3 minutes, flip for 2 minutes.
Eat and make yummy noises.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nothing better than a mess of Morels in the deep fryer! I never found one like that monster though! 8)
NRA Life Member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

bulldog1935 wrote:I see a feast in the making.

Agree...
Trout fishing, the spring time hunting season in my book. :wink:
1894c

Post by 1894c »

ollogger wrote:Wow Ben that one is a monster!
nice brookies to
+1 -- what bait did you use to catch that "monster"..? :)
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

its not hard to tell the difference between a morel & a false I believe the pickers are getting 12-15$ a lb for fresh spring morels . my preference is for shaggy manes they pop up first frost in the fall along roads. bears like em too. will be going after brookies third week of may we got a 20 fish limit on them darlings. danny
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The diet Blaine, the diet.
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Awesome, just awesome.
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Fine looking trout, BUT there is nothing better than a dishpsn full of washed and sliced morels, a large black iron skillet and lots of butter, kings could not eat better.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Great! Mmm love a bit of trout, just got back from my trip, ill post my trout soon too
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

RustyJr wrote:I like trout and I like mushrooms. However, a man who taught me most of what I know concerning wilderness survival got veeerrryy sick from eating a false morel one time. As a result . . . aside from not being experienced at it . . . I stay away from gathering wild mushrooms.

RustyJr
I've been eating false morels all my life and have never gotten sick. Know other folks wh have not been so lucky. Wierd, ain't it?
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Had an uncle who fished, didn't hunt, but went to camp and picked mushrooms. Miss him, miss the mushrooms. Sad that I didn't learn from him about mushrooms.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

tman wrote:Had an uncle who fished, didn't hunt, but went to camp and picked mushrooms. Miss him, miss the mushrooms. Sad that I didn't learn from him about mushrooms.
Look for them under a dead elm tree. When you find a trove, mark the spot with a gps fr next year.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

2571 wrote:
tman wrote:Had an uncle who fished, didn't hunt, but went to camp and picked mushrooms. Miss him, miss the mushrooms. Sad that I didn't learn from him about mushrooms.
Look for them under a dead elm tree. When you find a trove, mark the spot with a gps fr next year.
Thank you Sir.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

There aren't many good mushrooms in the high lonely of Wyoming, but Brooke trout are everywhere. I can't tell you how many elk and deer hunting trips I have been on where I had more fun fishing than I did hunting. Many, many years ago several of my friends and I would take a ten day hike-in camping trip into one of the wilderness areas in Wyoming. We lived on trout mostly and fried potatoes. The guys who drew the short straws had to each carry in a 10 lb. bag of potatoes. I always carried in the butter, salt and pepper. . . . :lol:

Not many trout in Texas where I live now, but I think I will get a chance for Brooke trout late in the summer when we visit home. I envy you guys who live in trout country.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.