What happened?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Don McDowell

Re: What happened?

Post by Don McDowell »

I don't know about the "not the season" stuff. I just shot in the levergun match at the Midwest bpcr championships this weekend. I know of at least 2 levergun sillouette matches in the next couple of weeks, and about 4 different matches in June. Then there's the National Levergun matches in Raton come mid July......
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

toby wrote:As long as we don't get into Beanie Baby variations and the collecting of, I'm good to go.
If I had the photoshop skills, I'd post a picture of a Beanie Baby with a levergun, just to mess with you... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Everything runs it course. How much can you truly say different each and everyday about lever action repeating rifles :?: This site has evolved, brought in a bigger audience with broader topics. You could just click on levergun threads only and skip the rest, whats the big deal?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

tman wrote:Everything runs it course. How much can you truly say different each and everyday about lever action repeating rifles :?: This site has evolved, brought in a bigger audience with broader topics. You could just click on levergun threads only and skip the rest, whats the big deal?
+1
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Pitchy wrote:
tman wrote:Everything runs it course. How much can you truly say different each and everyday about lever action repeating rifles :?: This site has evolved, brought in a bigger audience with broader topics. You could just click on levergun threads only and skip the rest, whats the big deal?
+1
Another +1
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

madman4570 wrote:All I know (which ain't much)------------------is I love you guys! :D :oops:
No, you can't have my Bud Light! :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Dave wrote: I do take a lever fishing though.
I prefer a rod and reel. Dern rifle just ruins too much meat on the size of fish I usually get! :P
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I like talking about other things in life. Heck, you want to see some pictures of the bike I'm building? It's gonna have several levers on it when I'm done. :wink: :lol:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

claybob86 wrote:
I prefer a rod and reel. Dern rifle just ruins too much meat on the size of fish I usually get! :P
Anybody can catch a fish with a rod and reel! Sitting in the boat waiting to spot one with a rifle is much more challenging.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Dave wrote:
claybob86 wrote:
Anybody can catch a fish with a rod and reel! Sitting in the boat waiting to spot one with a rifle is much more challenging.
but dynamite is more productive.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Another pic to keep things moderately on topic ?

Not my favorite levergun from a sentimental perspective, but by far my favorite shooter is this little .45 Trapper. It is a crossbolt safety gun, which to some people makes it ugly, -- so it tries harder to make me happy i guess :D (the beer cans, clay birds, and other assorted things that fall victim to it dont notice the x-bolt safety )

----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Streetstar wrote:Another pic to keep things moderately on topic ?

Just to veer 'off-topic' again [ :twisted: :wink: ], what's that varmint-looking gun in the background there...? My son is shopping for something along that line.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat May 12, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

BlaineG......I, too came over from Marlin Talk and received a somewhat lukewarm welcome but as a rookie I have learned to accept that sort of thing. Heck if we did not have some "OT" posts we would have never learned how to build a forge, work a cowhorn or make a knife. If levers are your only interest then only open those posts. Mesclaro, Old Savage and Nath among others have certainly perked me up with their posts......lets catch our breath and enjoy an outstanding group of brothers.....

rick
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

AJMD429 wrote:
Streetstar wrote:Another pic to keep things moderately on topic ?

Just to veer 'off-topic' again [ :twisted: :wink: ], what's that varmint-looking gun in the background there...? My son is shopping for something along that line.
That optical enhancer is almost larger than the pea shooter it is sit'n on.

Just to go off topic...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jumbeaux wrote:BlaineG......I, too came over from Marlin Talk and received a somewhat lukewarm welcome but as a rookie I have learned to accept that sort of thing. Heck if we did not have some "OT" posts we would have never learned how to build a forge, work a cowhorn or make a knife. If levers are your only interest then only open those posts. Mesclaro, Old Savage and Nath among others have certainly perked me up with their posts......lets catch our breath and enjoy an outstanding group of brothers.....

rick
8) This is the best campfire on earth.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Terry Murbach wrote:
pdawg.shooter wrote:I used to come here a lot to read about and learn about lever guns. Now, about 1 post in 10 is about lever guns. Guess it is time to move on.
YOU ARE RIGHT, SIR !!! AND AS YOU CAN SEE FROM MOST, BUT NOT ALL, OF THE DUMBAZZ ANSWERS BELOW THEY'RE PROUD OF WHAT THEY'VE ACCOMPLISHED IN TRASHING WHAT WAS FORMERLY ONE OF THE MOST INTERESTING SHOOTING SITES ON THE INTERNET. SINCE IT BECAME OBVIOUS, TO THE POWERS THAT BE, THAT MOST, BUT NOT ALL, OF THE NEW POSTERS KNEW LITTLE ABOUT LEVERGUNS, COULD NOT ASK AN INTELLIGENT QUESTION ABOUT THEM, NOR EVEN MORE OBVIOUSLY ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT LEVERGUNS, ALL THE FORMERLY ' OFF-TOPIC' NOTES ON SUCH POSTS WERE DROPPED. THIS IN AND OF ITSELF WOULD NOT BE SO BAD IF THEY KNEW SOMETHING ABOUT OTHER FIREARMS BUT ALAS !!! THAT WAS NOT TO BE EITHER. INSTEAD THIS HAS BECOME AN OL' HAGS SEWING CIRCLE WHERE YOU TALK ABOUT ANYTHING, THE MORE WORTHLESS THE BETTER, BUT NEVER BUT NEVER EVER SOLVE ANY PROBLEMS OR YOU'LL NO LONGER HAVE ANYTHING TO TALK ABOUT, IF YOU DO....WOW!!!! ARE WE HAVING FUN NOW OR WHAT ??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have to agree with Terry on this. I don't object to occasional off-topic posts and I love the old photos that RangeRider and a few others come up with; at least they we western-themed. Still, I visit rarely anymore and post even less.

*I should probably add that my internet forum time is a lot less than it used to be, as well.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote:

Doc, i'm actually a tad shocked you don't recognize an off the rack Ruger 10/22 T . :lol: :lol: Like Old Time Hunter alluded to though, the size of the optical enhancer may be throwing everything off :lol:
Mine is the model with the hammer forged helical fluted barrel --- the scope is a Bushnell Elite 5-15 "Tactical Model". It looks more normal sized without the sunshade, --- it helps the rifle make some surprising shots out to 150 yards. Its really overkill for a .22, but i got spoiled with it , -- besides, the target knobs can get bumped on a hunting rifle, so it works much better on my .22 in that respect

This rifle doesn't really like the cheapest bulk pack ammo and will mis-feed with those , but basic Remington and CCI "target" loads work well, and Federal makes a "target" load in a 333 count bulk pack that does decent --- it seems to like greasy little bullets more than dry ones. It is not as finicky as a true target rifle though, i tried several different varieities of some more expensive Eley ammo in it and it really did no better than CCI green tag
----- Doug
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

pdawg.shooter wrote:I used to come here a lot to read about and learn about lever guns. Now, about 1 post in 10 is about lever guns. Guess it is time to move on.
Look this is best and only site to discuss lever guns, as well as ammo and other weapons. Yes, we also discuss different topic's, as well a member current interests. It all makes for a better site.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

"Nice looking smoke pole."

Speaking of smoking poles, how ya doin', Terry? :lol:

Guys, I love this site! (Not a bid for your Budweiser, I assure you!) :P

However, I hereby do solemnly promise that if I ever decide to leave, take an extended vacation, visit less, determine the content has changed or that it is somehow vastly inferior to my supernatural intelligence and lengthy experience at shooting tens of thousands of tin cans (how awesome is THAT??? :) ), I will NOT come here to whine, b*tch or snarl about it first. I will simply fade away gracefully, as "old soldiers" are wont to do. :D

And, if I should ever decide to become a bitter, arrogant, giant, puckered ... a-hem, er... um... "orifice," I'll expect you to call me on it and remind me of my manners forthwith!
I neither expect, nor would I want, any sort of "diplomatic immunity" for being a self-righteous, vicious, un-diplomatic jerk.

BTW, I'm now busy working up .348 loads with the long-extinct 200 gr. Barnes X bullets
for an upcoming hog hunt with 86'er, but I dasn't post about it, given my inferior technical skills and lack of decades spent plinking at tin cans... lest I incur the ire of any lurking, self-annointed deities.

But, to keep this post suitably on-topic (which is to say, OT), I have HUGELY enjoyed Nath's accounts of his exploits afield in England, Ji's tales of Hawaii and Lucille, and the many helpful posts with very practical and useful bits of information shared by folks from all walks of life and a wide range of experience. Thanks, all! :D

John
Distinguished Rifleman (Civilian)
Distinguished Pistol Shot (Civilian)
craven, inexperienced and inferior moron who is admittedly
not worthy to bask in the reflected glory of any lurking "deities"
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

HOW SAD IT IS TODAY WHEN WE HAVE THIS WEALTH OF..... FREE...... KNOWLEDGE AND ADVICE AVAILABLE TO US 24 HOURS EVERY DAY, NOT ONLY ABOUT LEVERGUNS BUT ANY POLITE ISSUE ONE CAN THINK OF. AND YOU STILL HAVE THE 10% WHO AREN'T HAPPY.
WHY NOT START A "LEVERGUNS ELITE" FORUM ( $100 a month) FOR THOSE OF HIGH SOCIETY WHO HAVE THE TIME AND BANKROLL TO HAVE A RANGE DAY EACH WEEK,AND CAN PROVIDE A LONG RANGE REPORT..... (ON TOPIC OF COURSE) :twisted: :twisted: ...... WITH LOTS OF NICE PIC'S SO WE CAN ALL SLOBBER ALL OVER EACH OTHER WHEN WE PUT ON OUR CLUB JACKET. THEN THESE FORTUNATE GENTELMAN WHOULD HAVE A PLACE TO HANG THEIR HAT.
Then the Rest of the Members could just be Happy. rant off.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I guess I'm just a bit confused.

I know that Terry is one of the anointed ones, is therefore perfect in every way, and can say anything he likes. He was here first and foremost and not a one of us johnny-come-lately dast ever forget it.

However, I haven't seen JimT post much of anything related to levers in a very long time. And I'm pretty sure he too was here first. Maybe ever before Terry, I'm not sure.

'Course, Jim is a humble God-fearing man and in fact is doing Gods work in a very large way. I don't see him posting much about how high and mighty he is. I see him posting about doing good works and helping people who could use a bit of help. But he sure don't post anything that would seem to meet The Mighty Lurkers' approval. I for one don't mind his postings a bit even though they lack levers.

How's that go . . . "Pride goeth before a fall . . . hope you don't bump your nose too hard Terry 'cause I'm pretty sure you just called JimT a DUMBAZZ along with most of the rest of us.

Cat
Last edited by Catshooter on Sat May 12, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

.45colt wrote:HOW SAD IT IS TODAY WHEN WE HAVE THIS WEALTH OF..... FREE...... KNOWLEDGE AND ADVICE AVAILABLE TO US 24 HOURS EVERY DAY, NOT ONLY ABOUT LEVERGUNS BUT ANY POLITE ISSUE ONE CAN THINK OF. AND YOU STILL HAVE THE 10% WHO AREN'T HAPPY.
WHY NOT START A "LEVERGUNS ELITE" FORUM ( $100 a month) FOR THOSE OF HIGH SOCIETY WHO HAVE THE TIME AND BANKROLL TO HAVE A RANGE DAY EACH WEEK,AND CAN PROVIDE A LONG RANGE REPORT..... (ON TOPIC OF COURSE) :twisted: :twisted: ...... WITH LOTS OF NICE PIC'S SO WE CAN ALL SLOBBER ALL OVER EACH OTHER WHEN WE PUT ON OUR CLUB JACKET. THEN THESE FORTUNATE GENTELMAN WHOULD HAVE A PLACE TO HANG THEIR HAT.
Then the Rest of the Members could just be Happy. rant off.

They have their exclusive little club forum, and they don't stay any more on topic than the guys here do.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

<crickets>
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Careful, men, careful! Speaking unofficially in my humble capacity as a mental health professional, it's well-known that people with Personality Disorders never admit they are at fault... (Except when being manipulative, and only THEN to the extent that they must, to achieve their goal...). The entire world is all wrong, and THEY are right! The next move on the board is, by default, to attack and blame others when they are wrong...

John
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

John in Ms......do I hear crickets ????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

rick
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sarge wrote:
Terry Murbach wrote:
YOU ARE RIGHT, SIR !!! AND AS YOU CAN SEE FROM MOST, BUT NOT ALL, OF THE DUMBAZZ ANSWERS BELOW THEY'RE PROUD OF WHAT THEY'VE ACCOMPLISHED IN TRASHING WHAT WAS FORMERLY ONE OF THE MOST INTERESTING SHOOTING SITES ON THE INTERNET. SINCE IT BECAME OBVIOUS, TO THE POWERS THAT BE, THAT MOST, BUT NOT ALL, OF THE NEW POSTERS KNEW LITTLE ABOUT LEVERGUNS, COULD NOT ASK AN INTELLIGENT QUESTION ABOUT THEM, NOR EVEN MORE OBVIOUSLY ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT LEVERGUNS, ALL THE FORMERLY ' OFF-TOPIC' NOTES ON SUCH POSTS WERE DROPPED. THIS IN AND OF ITSELF WOULD NOT BE SO BAD IF THEY KNEW SOMETHING ABOUT OTHER FIREARMS BUT ALAS !!! THAT WAS NOT TO BE EITHER. INSTEAD THIS HAS BECOME AN OL' HAGS SEWING CIRCLE WHERE YOU TALK ABOUT ANYTHING, THE MORE WORTHLESS THE BETTER, BUT NEVER BUT NEVER EVER SOLVE ANY PROBLEMS OR YOU'LL NO LONGER HAVE ANYTHING TO TALK ABOUT, IF YOU DO....WOW!!!! ARE WE HAVING FUN NOW OR WHAT ??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have to agree with Terry on this. I don't object to occasional off-topic posts and I love the old photos that RangeRider and a few others come up with; at least they we western-themed. Still, I visit rarely anymore and post even less.

*I should probably add that my internet forum time is a lot less than it used to be, as well.

I might be speaking out of place here,but those that really feel this forum has become "trash/trashed" or however you want to call it maybe should all gather together and form/create your own little forum(ONLY TALK ABOUT GUNS)

Obviously any type gathering(that being by a persons own will)is done as such.(by choice)You don't like your job---quit You don't like the store---shop somewhere else You don't like where you live----move

Kinda gets old complaining about something created/moderated by such good/well thought out/caring people busting their butts to run this forum for everyone's benefit-------then have a bunch of members grip about it and truly insult people to that level.

Reminds me of the people at a Ponderosa restaurant complaining about the 7th dish of food they just ate/still eating all while knocking the waitress because she can't fill the food bins fast enough. ???????

Wow! :roll:

Hope it wasn't my 3 in 1 shampoo or maybe that helping the libido sitting in the sun with it shining you know where (topics) ?????? :oops: :cry: but----both can be done while wearing or holding a gun if need be---so---------??
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

You're not speaking out of turn at all madman4570. Change is the only constant and when the change doesn't suit a minority of participants, they are indeed free to vote with their feet. Moderating folks to death ain't the answer, either. As in so many other matters, it's probably best to just let nature take its course.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

It seems to me that I'm darned if I do, and darned if I don't...

a) I can't post levergun topics since I don't have 50-60 years of experience with shooting as a primary focus in life (and with the time left to me on this earth will never be able to acquire it), and any question I ask or comment/advice I provide will be elementary and therefore not worthy of consideration.

or

b) I can't post off-topic (i.e., non-levergun) comments, even though I may have some knowledge to share, or just an interesting story, about something in my life, 99% of which has nothing to do with leverguns.

Maybe we should just leave this forum to the handful of people who meet the stringent criteria for focus, knowledge and experience set forth by our most elite member(s). [Would love to see how that forum operates with the constant insults to people's intelligence and juvenile name calling..."dumbazz"...really??]
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Alnitak,

You're good to go. Despite what some 'think' (and I use the term very loosely) the front page of this forum says : Paco Kelly's Leverguns. And I'm pretty sure that if he didn't want anything but lever topics we'd know it. His mods (and they do really well) follow his instructions, thus we have the forum we do.

The three members who have complained in this thread don't contribute much here anyway (HARDLY AT ALL IN ONE MEMBERS CASE WHO SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS). And they are quite welcome to start their own site, this is still a semi-free country.

You notice that the whiners come, post their complaints and then go away? They're still reading this thread but it's like John in MS posted, it's virtually impossible for them to admit they were wrong. They like to hit, then run away! It's funny how the internet came make some appear braver than they really are.

Cat
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

this is a great place with tolerance, excellent moderators, and room for everybody.

FWIW, I got banned from the ultralight flyfisher's board foring post photos of fish caught on a 5-wt. bamboo rod (which is like catching trout on a 3-wt graphite rod).
The door did not hit me on my way out.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

bulldog1935 wrote:this is a great place with tolerance, excellent moderators, and room for everybody.

FWIW, I got banned from the ultralight flyfisher's board foring post photos of fish caught on a 5-wt. bamboo rod (which is like catching trout on a 3-wt graphite rod).
The door did not hit me on my way out.
Ok..edumakate me.....this means using too heavy of a rod to call it ultralight?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

exactly, they draw the line at 4-wt.
The board owner told me he was getting angry pms from the regulars.

I was actually adding to a thread posted by a braggart who stiffed me for lunch after I gave him a $15 access pass to the lease and then put him on fish.
He didn't even mention me on the thread.
Bridge burned.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Frank Kelly has the first and last word on this matter, which is:
We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.
You'd think I wouldn't have missed that before shooting off my mouth. My apologies to anyone I offended.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

people can only choose to be offended. 8)
and you did discuss this politely.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

WHAT THE Popcorn and beer WHERE? Is it still available? Whose providing it? :P :mrgreen: I spent 4 days reloading, shooting and chrono=ing. The only lever I shot was my Henry 22mag with an Aimpoint mounted on it to make sure it was still hitting POI from 25 to 80 yards. That entailed 5 or 6 rounds. Otherwise it was single shots in 17HMR 22H 223 and 9mm.Didnt even even pop off a single 30/30 round. HUH Must be slipping away. NOT :lol: This place is still the best one out there for info of any variety. I asked about Tonic water having Quinine in it. Had the answer in 30-40 minutes. Try to have a conversation with any guy and see how long you stay on topic. My Pastor said, Guys can't discuss anything wothout eventually straying and talking about Women, Weather and Food. Personally I can go without food or worrying about the weather when I am with my GF. :D
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Sarge wrote:Frank Kelly has the first and last word on this matter, which is:
We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.
You'd think I wouldn't have missed that before shooting off my mouth. My apologies to anyone I offended.

Now see, there's a man. It takes a real man to apologise when he makes a mistake. While all of us make mistakes, the number that can and will apologise is much fewer.

While you didn't offend me Sarge, I'll accept your apology, man to man.

Cat
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

bulldog1935 wrote:people can only choose to be offended. 8)
and you did discuss this politely.
Everyone here has let me off the hook (I hope) for saying stuff.....How could I possibly be offended? It was not personal and not directed at any one person. :wink: I'm a graduate of The Hobie On Posting 101 class....I only need a refresher every so often :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

bulldog1935 wrote:exactly, they draw the line at 4-wt.
The board owner told me he was getting angry pms from the regulars.
Now those folks need some Prozac, or KY-jelly, or something - that's just TOO up-tight to be healthy...!!! :?

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

AJMD429.
Right on ! :lol:
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I have to agree, in principle, with Terry's sentiments.. There was a time when this forum WAS the dedicated, "elite" levergun site.. We had serious dicussions about the pros and cons of our favored hand-cranked smokepoles; we talked about important things, such as the strength (or lack thereof) of the various commercial and custom-made offerings.. We explored the geometry and the physics of levergun design, and we showcased their perfomance in the field.. As newcomers arrived, most were polite, and eager to learn about the nuances of levergun lore, and they were welcomed.. Some asked inane questions, or advanced implausible theories, and were dealt with accordingly.. Eventually, a sort of sloppy disregard for the subject at hand, and even a condescending disdain for life-long practitioners of levergun theology crept into the dialog, and proved the truth of the old adage: some folks talk because they have something to say; others, because they just have to say something..
Many of us old hands have been excoriated for our "antiquated" mores -- whether the question be about hunting, caliber selection, pest control, licensing, firearms design, or whether we have the right to shoot your dog if it is running our livestock... we have been expected to give equal consideration to the "modernization" of such points of view, while no acknowledgement has been given to the way we lived, long before some of the "pups" on this board came along, to show us poor, benighted old relics the true light, as if the youngsters had just first discovered it..
Terry's contributions to this forum over the years, as well as my own research and experience have been held in contempt by some, who would replace hard-won experience with a jumble of unsubstantiated "feelings" about the matters at hand.. the old spirit of this board has been assaulted, rejected and neglected, almost to the point of extinction..
My understanding was always that this forum was to be, first and foremost, about leverguns.. My carefully-considered thought is that it should still be that way.. The "Facebook" syndrome has crept into our beloved discussion board like a fast-growing cancer, reducing conversations and discussions to the area of the lowest common denominator.. Properly, facebook and twitter are the proper venues for much of what passes for discussion here, lately...
Just my opinion, you see, which I have every right - nay, Duty - to express, in the hope of preserving this "most-elite" of all firearms discussion boards...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Well, at 60 I ain't no "Pup", and I don't think I have to ask your permission before I open my mouth about anything. It's hard to look up to someone when they look down on you. You're attitude sucks and you can just go to hell. :evil: Or, maybe to Asgard where the rest of the false gods are waiting for you. :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

OK, seems to me that we have something special here, in that within the context of us all being levergun enthusiasts to some degree, we can discuss anything. Lever action rifles are not complicated to the point that a forum restricted to the discussion of them alone, by very serious scientific types, will result in a lasting online community, such as what we have here. Let's not tamper with it. :)
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

On the other hand, there are those who seem to look for things at which to be offended, either individually, or for and in behalf of a group which they feel they necessarily represent.
They must be, of all men, most miserable...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Buck Elliott wrote:On the other hand, there are those who seem to look for things at which to be offended, either individually, or for and in behalf of a group which they feel they necessarily represent.
Yeah, like someone else upstream on this thread said, gettin' offended is a personal choice.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Here in the UK the general public think you are odd if you even own a gun, the shooting fraternity think you are odd if you don't use a scoped bolt action. So being a doubly odd guy with "lever actions" this place was like a breath of fresh air, I learnt a lot from you guys and can still pick your brains when I need help because on Leverguns.com there is without doubt the most knowledgeable people on the planet when it comes to lever action rifles.
Whilst gaining all this valuable information I have also made friends and found out so much more than just who makes the best levergun (the jury is still out on that one). :lol:
So I log on every day to see who's doing what and where and I also get information on leverguns and other firearms that I will probably never get a chance to see let alone own.
So although the forum may have changed it's still number one in my book.
Last edited by gamekeeper on Mon May 14, 2012 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

Buck Elliott wrote:I have to agree, in principle, with Terry's sentiments.. There was a time when this forum WAS the dedicated, "elite" levergun site.. We had serious dicussions about the pros and cons of our favored hand-cranked smokepoles; we talked about important things, such as the strength (or lack thereof) of the various commercial and custom-made offerings.. We explored the geometry and the physics of levergun design, and we showcased their perfomance in the field.. As newcomers arrived, most were polite, and eager to learn about the nuances of levergun lore, and they were welcomed.. Some asked inane questions, or advanced implausible theories, and were dealt with accordingly.. Eventually, a sort of sloppy disregard for the subject at hand, and even a condescending disdain for life-long practitioners of levergun theology crept into the dialog, and proved the truth of the old adage: some folks talk because they have something to say; others, because they just have to say something..
Many of us old hands have been excoriated for our "antiquated" mores -- whether the question be about hunting, caliber selection, pest control, licensing, firearms design, or whether we have the right to shoot your dog if it is running our livestock... we have been expected to give equal consideration to the "modernization" of such points of view, while no acknowledgement has been given to the way we lived, long before some of the "pups" on this board came along, to show us poor, benighted old relics the true light, as if the youngsters had just first discovered it..
Terry's contributions to this forum over the years, as well as my own research and experience have been held in contempt by some, who would replace hard-won experience with a jumble of unsubstantiated "feelings" about the matters at hand.. the old spirit of this board has been assaulted, rejected and neglected, almost to the point of extinction..
My understanding was always that this forum was to be, first and foremost, about leverguns.. My carefully-considered thought is that it should still be that way.. The "Facebook" syndrome has crept into our beloved discussion board like a fast-growing cancer, reducing conversations and discussions to the area of the lowest common denominator.. Properly, facebook and twitter are the proper venues for much of what passes for discussion here, lately...
Just my opinion, you see, which I have every right - nay, Duty - to express, in the hope of preserving this "most-elite" of all firearms discussion boards...

nice post and i do agree with it. I have to admit however i do like some of the "off topic" posts made by pitchy, RR's western collections etc etc
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Phillipians 2: 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

I apologize to all of you for being too big for my britches at times, and for saying things that are downright dumb. You've all been patient friends and brothers to me, and I am thankful to be here.
Last edited by C. Cash on Mon May 14, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Buck Elliott wrote:On the other hand, there are those who seem to look for things at which to be offended, either individually, or for and in behalf of a group which they feel they necessarily represent.
No more so than those that mistakenly confuse "honesty" with a misguided drive to be insulting to most others. :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV