.22 rimfire barrel liners for 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

.22 rimfire barrel liners for 45-70

Post by jnyork »

Been muddling whether or not to get a Crossno .22 barrel liner for my Sharps 45-70, looks like it would be fun, I shoot a LOT of rimfire. Anyone have any experience with one?
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: .22 rimfire barrel liners for 45-70

Post by awp101 »

Yes. Do it! :mrgreen:

Mine was very nice and more accurate than I. In fact, one day I intend to contact him and see if one for a 7mm RRB can be done.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Really accurate little gems. Just be sure to wipe the bore down with tc borebutter or such before you put the liner in. It helps keep the carbon fouling down at the muzzle of the liner and helps sliding the liner out when you're done with it.
Some folks really like the Shaver liners as they're supposedly easier to get the windage roughed in, than with the Crossno.
Get them either direct from Crossno or from Buffalo Arms.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I think I'm gonna do it, guys over at the BPCR forum had about the same opinion, if I can shoot rimfire I am a lot more likely to get a more serious about shooting this thing. Probably order one as soon as Our Uncle sends me my monthly allowance. :wink:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

There's a lot of us bpcr shooters that have both those liners and a dedicated 22. The 22 side matches are extremely popular, and if you look at the raw numbers there were more people shot the 22 side match at the nationals in Raton last year than the regulation matches.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Don McDowell wrote:There's a lot of us bpcr shooters that have both those liners and a dedicated 22. The 22 side matches are extremely popular, and if you look at the raw numbers there were more people shot the 22 side match at the nationals in Raton last year than the regulation matches.
That's surprising. Sorry, Don, I don't have the coin for a second Shiloh dedicated to only 22LR.
Old Law Dawg
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Kim alot of Winchester lowalls, stevens and rolling blocks. Know of a permanently lined trapdoor, and one Browning b78 45-70 that was permanently fitted with the Crossno liner.
The only Sharps available in 22 that I know of are the Pedersoli mini sharps and the C Sharps 1875 just started availability in 22 last year. Shiloh has so far elected not to make a 22.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have one for my Pedersoli Sharps 1874 and really like it. I did just take it out though, as I am hoping to get out to shoot the .45-120 this spring. Y2K has been bugging me to try it. I'm just not sure he can hold the Heavy Target Model level of more than a few seconds! :wink:
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

A nice little bonus to the inserts is the surprise factor. I always got a kick out of seeing someone out of the corner of my eye point and give the "Watch this!" sign to their buddies thinking I was about to touch off a .45-120.

The look they got when it was a "pop" vs the "ka-BOOOM" and smoke they were expecting was always great... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

So, this evening I'm sitting around thinking about this and said to myself, "Self", I said, "you can go order the darn thing right now and put it on your credit card, it aint like you are actually spending any money for it." :D

So that's what I did, went over to Shiloh website and ordered, should have it and have a range report by Wednesday next week.

Anticipation is 90% of the fun, I seem to recall. :wink: :D
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I wish somebody made them for the Ruger #1 and other 22" barreled .45-70s.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have one friend that has a Crossnoe liner for his C Sharps 45-100 and another friend that has a liner for his Uberti Rollingblock 45-70 .

They aren't so hot with them offhand , but when they lay them in the bags they really shine !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Don McDowell wrote:Browning b78 45-70 .

I'll eventually have one of the B-78 45-70's from the 70's 80's run to use as my Primitive season deer rifle if I'm able to go hunt Arkansas/Mississippi again :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
1894c

Re: .22 rimfire barrel liners for 45-70

Post by 1894c »

learned something...never knew there was such a thing--22 rimfire barrel liners for 45-70--now that's cooool.... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Fri May 11, 2012 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

They'll only work in a single shot with an action that gives a straight shot to install the thing.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Swampman wrote:I wish somebody made them for the Ruger #1 and other 22" barreled .45-70s.
MCACE in Anchorage.

http://www.mcace.com/rifleinserts.html
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Swampman wrote:I wish somebody made them for the Ruger #1 and other 22" barreled .45-70s.
Probably not out of the realm of possibility to contact Crossno or Shaver and get one made to order. Ron Long was building them for a time for each specific gun and barrel length as described by those ordering from him.
Even at that a couple of inches sticking out the muzzle isn't going to hurt much so long as you're careful about where you rest the guns muzzle when not shooting.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Well, I have had mine over a year now, and my 45-70 is now a full-time .22. I shoot it quite a bit, both offhand and off the bench. For offhand, on the 1/2 scale silhouettes, I shoot Automatch, works fine, I must admit the rifle is right on the verge of being too heavy for me anymore, but I will continue as long as I can. Off the bench, for the long range .22 silhouettes out to 200 meters, Wolf seems to be the hot setup . Only annoyance is getting about 2 or 3 misfires in a 40 shot string, the cartridge shows no sign of primer strike, second try will fire it every time. I believe this might be due to the cartridge not being fully seated in the chamber, I use a dowel pusher to seat it but still have the problem. Now I dont know if this problem is a function of the liner or the rifle's hammer assembly, will keep trying. Overall, very pleased with the setup.
sullkat

Post by sullkat »

The Shaver is a little awkward with the shell holder, some 22 rims are too small and won't stay in the holder. But very accurate out to 100yds.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

JNyork have you tried the Aquila Rifle Match loads. That stuff is shooting very well from me in 2 rifles and the 40-65 liner. Plus the cost is certainly reasonable even when you can't find it on sale.