New Henry 30-30 impressions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

New Henry 30-30 impressions

Post by quietman »

Well, I finally got to get my hands on a Henry 30-30. Went into a local gun shop looking for some parts and sitting next to a golden boy was the new version of the Henry 30-30.

This is the newer model that they released with a fore end cap instead of a fore end band. It also comes with an XS ghost ring sight and an XS front sight.

Asked to take a look at it and I must say I was impressed. The wood to metal fit was excellent all the way around. The bluing was a nice deep blue. And the finish looked to be the same thickness as they put on their 22 rifles. This is a satin finish that's thick enough you can polish it to a gloss if you want to.

The checkering on the rifle is done by laser. The ridges were fine and clearly defined and very consistent on both the stock and the fore end. Detail in the checkering is excellent.

They allowed me to cycle the action and even that was pleasant. Because it is based on the 336 action it feels the same. Although with the Henry, it felt like an action that it already been cycled several hundred times instead of a rough gritty action like the new Remlins have.

The straight stock felt very comfortable in my hand and so did the fore end. The fore end on this rifle is narrower than that of the 336 and closer to what you would find on the Winchester.

The rifle was very well balanced. This is a 6.5 pound rifle and I swear it felt like it was only 4 pounds. It snapped up to the shoulder very easily. In fact, it felt better balanced than the 30 AW I have.

To my surprise, the butt plate is actually a thin recoil pad. It has some give to it but not too much, and is softer than the rubber butt plates that Marlin uses.

There were a couple of things that I would change on this rifle but they are minor. The first one is the set of the fore end to the barrel. The barrel channel on both sides fits tight against the barrel. I can see this introducing a drifting problem as the barrel heats up. In actuality however, this is no worse than most 336 rifles that have a gap on one side of the barrel and none on the other side. This is also an easy thing to fix. I would also like a slightly smaller ring on the back sight. But that's personal preference, and others would say it's just fine.

A lot of people have complained about the MSRP for these rifles. The street price at this store seemed reasonable to me. The shop is asking a around $640 for the rifle. That seems a little high priced until you consider the fact the ghost ring and front sights will cost you $80-$90 plus shipping. Then the swivels and studs would cost you another $20. That means you're paying around $500 for a rifle that, at this time, is built to a higher standard than the Marln/Remington 336.

Unfortunately, since it was in the store there was no way I could shoot it. So of course I cannot give you an accuracy report. However, were I not shifting employers in the next month and don't know how long the transition will take, I would have no problem plunking down the cash for this rifle.

So yes you can call me a heretic since I own a Marlin 30-30, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em. Oh yeah, when I wrote Henry with some questions, and asked them why I couldn't find a review, they told me they have so many orders coming in for the 30-30 and 45/70, they don't need the press. My guess is, until they get caught up, they'd prefer not to have any at this time. (Would just put them further behind)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by quietman on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1894c

Re: New Henry 30-30 impressions

Post by 1894c »

quietman -- saw a new Henry 30/30 today as well, this one was much lighter that the other one i saw in January (that one was a brick)--it was exactly as you described it. as a matter of fact the wood stocks, both forward and aft, are amazing, haven't seen wood that nice except on the more expensive Winchester's (deluxe versions).

i also noticed, as many have commented in the past, that the Henry doesn't have a loading gate on the receiver, this makes the receiver smaller vertically than a Marlin (at least it looked that way to me). Loading through the tube may break tradition somewhat, but for me it would not be a deal breaker, i liked the gun, it was ok. would i buy one--probably not--right now i'm thinking older Marlin with a 24" barrel in 30/30... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Sadly, the forward sight and band still look like something off a Glock. I'm not keen on the pot belly shape of forestock either.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I think I would like it; the front loading would make it easier to unload after hunting, no cycling of all the rounds through the chamber to get them out. Remove tube and let them slide out into your hat.

Plus it would still be easy to single load it at the range if you don't want to mess with the tube.

Thanks, nice to know they make it, I like the 336 design, good that it can be improved.

Should I get one? Well, as you know I keep buying the same guns over and over.

Is it Ballard rifling, microgroove, or button?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I still want a loading gate.

I dislike front loading .22s, a .30-30 would be worse.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Just a thought, and it was prolly covered last time this Henry was talked about, but I missed it if it was; loading gate vs front tube loading. As a hunting gun, how many rounds do you need to keep loaded in your gun when you're afield? How often does one need to reload quickly after shooting 6 rounds (5+1)? Henry calls this rifle a "Perennial Choice of the Whitetail Hunter", which I take as marketing hype meaning this is a hunting rifle.

I don't have an opinion about this as I don't have a 336 or a Henry. I understand tradition calls for a reciever loading gate, and it's more difficult to load a magazine full via front tube loading, and it would be a real pain during a plinking/sighting in session. But it it really that big a deal?
Last edited by mikld on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I like the Henry, I have 2, 357 & 22 mag.
Dont need another 30-30, At least thats what i keep telling myself
But if they ever make a 32-20 or 38-40 ill jump on that right now

And why wouldnt they make one or both of them ?
to far behind now?

ollogger
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

If you have a sling on your rifle put the sling over your shoulder with the rifle up side down under your arm slightly muzzle high. Push the rifle to your body with your elbow to hold the rifle steady. This allows you to use both hands and simplifies loads of the 22’s with magazine tubes. When your plinking you can load up rather quickly.
Slim
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

for hunting, it's not the loading, but the unloading at the end of the day. Cycling them all through scatters them around and leaves the possibility of discharging one, whereas unloading through the tube is easier and you can control where they land.

Not a big deal. Personally I like a break action when hunting, I can walk around with an unloaded gun and, if I do see something, load and close it quietly in just a second or two. Easier to be unloaded when climbing around.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have handled a few and shot one. Yeah, it's kinda heavy but it shot accurately, it is butter smooth and fit/finish is fine. The company is American to the core and a big 2nd Amendment supporter. I don't own one but I have other Henry's and I am always happy to spend my money with them. I trust the product and the support thereof if it should be needed. There are no new levers on the market at the moment that have given me the "I have to have it" urge, but this is the one I'd buy over the others for a lot of reasons.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

Correction- just found out the checkering is done by laser, not pressing. That explains why the checkering is so crisp. Corrected that statement in the original post.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

MrMurphy wrote:I still want a loading gate.

+1
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Old Ironsights wrote:
MrMurphy wrote:I still want a loading gate.

+1
I'll see your +1 and raise you +1.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.