Reliabile Gunsmith

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Reliabile Gunsmith

Post by GonnePhishin »

Can anyone recommend a good and reliable gunsmith in the general Fargo, ND area? I'm looking to have a mini 14 rebarreled with a heavier barrel.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
jorgy
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Reliabile Gunsmith

Post by jorgy »

Fargo is very short of gunsmiths. The best one I know of is Curt at the Outdoorsman. 701 282
0131. There is a couple of guys who are good at woodwork.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Accuracy International used to do that, rebarrel mini-14's
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

a heavy barrel in its self wont correct the accuracy problems as the HB is only thicker from the end of the forearm out, all mini's have the same problem the standard m14's have the stock pressure from the receiver to the end of the forearm, this is a fix you can do yourself and save some $ unless you are wanting a faster twist bbl, fix up the one you have. I worked on mine and made it a moa out to 300 yds for predator shooting. The receiver needs to be bedded from the receiver to just past the chamber area and the pressure where the end of the stock is held by the forearm holder on the bbl has to be relieved that's what causes your groups to string. In effect you are just floating the barrel, Ive done m14's and mini 14's and it has worked. wood stocks are a problem for mini & m14's thats why the military went to composite stocks you could consider that if you cant make your wood stock work. No mini will keep its group if you try and dump a bunch of 20 round mags thru it thats just to much heat at once but for extended Pdog shooting it will group fine. danny
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BigSky56 wrote:a heavy barrel in its self wont correct the accuracy problems as the HB is only thicker from the end of the forearm out, all mini's have the same problem the standard m14's have the stock pressure from the receiver to the end of the forearm, this is a fix you can do yourself and save some $ unless you are wanting a faster twist bbl, fix up the one you have. I worked on mine and made it a moa out to 300 yds for predator shooting. The receiver needs to be bedded from the receiver to just past the chamber area and the pressure where the end of the stock is held by the forearm holder on the bbl has to be relieved that's what causes your groups to string. In effect you are just floating the barrel, Ive done m14's and mini 14's and it has worked. wood stocks are a problem for mini & m14's thats why the military went to composite stocks you could consider that if you cant make your wood stock work. No mini will keep its group if you try and dump a bunch of 20 round mags thru it thats just to much heat at once but for extended Pdog shooting it will group fine. danny
Danny, you made me want to buy a Mini-14 just to try this out. Makes sense!

There was a guy, Chief AJ I think, who did accuracy work on the Mini-14s guaranteeing MOA accuracy for about $700 and that was several years ago. I heard, but am not certain, that he did about what you suggest.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

???????????? Might do the trick for accuracy improvements.(try first ??)

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tips/archive_tips.htm/1
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Yup Hobie I talked to that gentlemen years ago about mini's and with the work I'd done on m14's it was about the same work, the HB that are for sale are just a gimmick unless you bed and relieve pressure. danny
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

BigSky56,
Thanks for the information. I know what you mean about the barrels being thinner after the handguard, but I went to the Accuracy Systems website and looked at pictures of their barrels. While they are a little thinner by the gas block, they aren't grotesquely thin like the so-called Shilen heavy barrel is. That heavy barrel looks like it was deformed!!
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Hey Madman, thanks for the link on the gasblock!

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

BigSky56 wrote:Yup Hobie I talked to that gentlemen years ago about mini's and with the work I'd done on m14's it was about the same work, the HB that are for sale are just a gimmick unless you bed and relieve pressure. danny
The other option is get rid of the stock gas block so that you have a larger hole for a heavy barrel to pass through.

It's not Accuracy International that does the Mini-14 work, it's Accuracy Systems Inc. that does it:

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/m ... sories.php

They will guarantee anywhere from 1.5 MOA to half MOA depending upon what you order.

They'll even build you a sub-MOA rifle on the Remington pump action if you'd like!

http://www.remington7400.com/index.php

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright