Shooting Ranges--California

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Shooting Ranges--California

Post by getitdone1 »

I'm in Hemet, CA and found this list of shooting ranges in California.

http://www.traderscreek.com/gun_clubs/california.asp

I may have missed one or two close to me but appears Banning and Pala might be the best ranges for me. I'm especially interested in outdoor ranges of 200 or more yards. The range at Pala, CA goes out to one thousand yds. Anyone here used these ranges?

Any other ranges fairly close to the Hemet area? Ideally I'd like to find a private range up in the foothills or mountains and pay an annual fee for convenience and privacy.

Edit: I see the words "best" and "annual fee" are underlined and highlighted. Not my doing! What people won't do to sell on the internet!

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Re: Shooting Ranges--California

Post by jkbrea »

Pala is a nice range on the Pala Indian Reservation. Very big and they have CAS or somethin similar. If you just want a place to shoot you can go east on Florida Ave and into Bee Canyon. Its just before the Cranston Ranger station. Head north on a dirt road where Double Check Retreat is. You can shoot a couple miles in. Haven't shot there in years. There was a problem for a while with people leaving trash behind. That dirt road will take you all the way up to Idyllwild with 4WD.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pala also has BPCRS, 1st Sat every month. Ramrodded by Harold Itchkawich (Greybeard), retired Marine LCol. Great guy and great shooter. I've known him since the late 80s when we used to shoot CAS. Tell 'im I said Hi!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

jkbrea wrote:Pala is a nice range on the Pala Indian Reservation. Very big and they have CAS or somethin similar. If you just want a place to shoot you can go east on Florida Ave and into Bee Canyon. Its just before the Cranston Ranger station. Head north on a dirt road where Double Check Retreat is. You can shoot a couple miles in. Haven't shot there in years. There was a problem for a while with people leaving trash behind. That dirt road will take you all the way up to Idyllwild with 4WD.
jkbrea,

Thank you for your response. Does that road to a place to shoot run about straight north of Double Check Retreat or north east, more toward Idyllwild? Perhaps they closed it due to people leaving trash behind?? Google map show a road going only a little north of Double Check Retreat and then it stops. I'll ask around, especially gunsmiths and sporting goods stores in the area.

Don
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

It's only goes a litte way then turns into more of a trail I believe and then heads N/E. The only gun store per se is BJ's Sporting Goods. Sometimes not much to choose from though. Murietta has The Shootist which has new and used guns but $$$.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I belong to a private club in Gavalan Hills about 20-25 minutes west of you.Great club
but our range is only out to 200yrd.I used to shoot at bee canyon alot not sure if you can
still shoot there.When you pass Double check it hooks right up a canyon.The club name is
Corona Sportsmans Club.Its not really in Corona but between the 15 and 215 freeways.Dont
have the link but you can google the club sight or PM me.The range is nice with shades,outhouses and a locked gate.Check out our site it has more info and a picture of the
range.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

m.wun wrote:I belong to a private club in Gavalan Hills about 20-25 minutes west of you.Great club
but our range is only out to 200yrd.I used to shoot at bee canyon alot not sure if you can
still shoot there.When you pass Double check it hooks right up a canyon.The club name is
Corona Sportsmans Club... The range is nice with shades,outhouses and a locked gate.Check out our site it has more info and a picture of the
range.
Dang, I'd completely forgotten about that range. My hunting partner lives in Corona and belonged to the club for several years... Not sure he still does. But it wouldn't surprise me. I often went there with him to sight in for deer season.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

m.wun wrote:I belong to a private club in Gavalan Hills about 20-25 minutes west of you.Great club
Corona Sportsmans Club.Its not really in Corona but between the 15 and 215 freeways.Dont
have the link but you can google the club sight or PM me.The range is nice with shades,outhouses and a locked gate.Check out our site it has more info and a picture of the
range.
m.wun,

Just left the Corona Sportsmans Club web site. Picture of range is nice. From what I read there they are close to or now have their 300 members limit.

I did register at this sight and expect to be a member of the 'site group' once they reply via e-mail.

Coming from a farm in Indiana I am more inclined to head for the hills somewhere and "do my thing." Just have to find that spot where it's totally safe and not on private property. If I buy a house around here I'll try to find one up high and alone and, ideally, walk a few feet and shoot when I want to.

Thanks,

Don