Skinner barrel mounted peep sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Skinner barrel mounted peep sights

Post by The Lewis »

Just got in the mail a couple of the Skinner barrel mounter peep sights. Went on the guns easily and boy my tired eyes like the ring farther out on the barrel. A peep on the rear of the receiver (apertures removed) looks more like an ghost oval, not a ghost ring, to my poor old eyes but moved out a bit it really makes a big difference. I have an older interarms Rossi that uses an oversized dovetail and Tim made me one for it, no extra charge. The other one went on my Marlin 39 century, so nice.

So, kudos to Mr. Skinner for a fine product and fine service! And anyone suffering from tired old eyes might want to try one...
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I was looking at that barrel mounted peep for a newly acquired Model 60 but wasn't sure about it. Nice to hear some feedback on it. I may have to ponder this option some more if filing a square notch into the rear sight doesn't work out.
Well done is better than well said.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Where's the pics?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I'm surprised I hear so many good reports really. Theres another barrel mounted peep out the called "one ragged hole" I tried I didn't like.
On the barrel you need to try & look thru it much like a standard rear sight. On the reciever I just look thru it & pay it no mind. Dont think I'd notice if it was oval.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

FAR BE IT FROM ME TO PO PO HOW SOMEONE SPENDS HIS MONEY, BUT THOSE SKINNER SIGHTS ARE THE BEST EXAMPLE I'VE SEEN IN YEARS OF AN OLD EXPRESSION : THOSE WHO DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE CONDEMNED TO REPEAT IT.
SECONDLY : THEY ARE NOT PEEP SIGHTS, THEY ARE APERTURE SIGHTS.
YOU WILL FIND OUT THE ERROR OF YOUR WAYS ON THE DAY OLD BEER HALL RACK WONDERS BY AND YOU CANNOT--AND WILL NOT -- PICK HIM UP IN A FORWARD APERTURE SIGHT IN TIME TO TAKE A CORRECT SIGHT PICTURE AND BUST HIM PROPERLY.
YOU WILL BE HIGHLY P O 'D !!!
YOU WILL REMEMBER READING THIS.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

Maybe Terry, but it snaps right up to my eye and couldn't easier to pick up. I did remove the aperture and have only the ring, I would agree that it would be harder with the aperture installed. So far I like it.

Anyrate, maybe you can dispense some of the history you refer to. I'm getting old but not too old to not listen to A MAN WITH AN OPINION...
Molon Labe
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Leverdude wrote:I'm surprised I hear so many good reports really. Theres another barrel mounted peep out the called "one ragged hole" I tried I didn't like.
On the barrel you need to try & look thru it much like a standard rear sight. On the reciever I just look thru it & pay it no mind. Dont think I'd notice if it was oval.
That's been my experience, too. The receiver sight works much better with my eyes.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

This is what the sight looks like. I do wish they had a bigger pic.

Well done is better than well said.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

We are all very different creatures, tho We may all walk on two legs.Years ago I couldn't understand why shooters hated the SXS shotgun for trap or skeet. I looked into it and it seemed that nobody made a sideXside stocked for targets. skeet was no problem and after I set-up a BSS 30" barrels with a stock like my 870 TB Trap things fell into place. Some of those trap-guys got MAD. :cry: . if it works for You that's all that matters. Jim.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's a simple solution for replacing any dovetail barrel sight with an aperture sight. I happen to prefer a scope on this gun, but the 'peep' is there as a backup, and I find it easy to use and fast except - like all aperture sights - in dim light I like the scope better.

Brownells.com 780-001-222 $12.89
FITS: Mini-14 Ranch Rifle Serial # Prefix 187-188

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Terry Murbach wrote:FAR BE IT FROM ME TO PO PO HOW SOMEONE SPENDS HIS MONEY, BUT THOSE SKINNER SIGHTS ARE THE BEST EXAMPLE I'VE SEEN IN YEARS OF AN OLD EXPRESSION : THOSE WHO DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE CONDEMNED TO REPEAT IT.
SECONDLY : THEY ARE NOT PEEP SIGHTS, THEY ARE APERTURE SIGHTS.
YOU WILL FIND OUT THE ERROR OF YOUR WAYS ON THE DAY OLD BEER HALL RACK WONDERS BY AND YOU CANNOT--AND WILL NOT -- PICK HIM UP IN A FORWARD APERTURE SIGHT IN TIME TO TAKE A CORRECT SIGHT PICTURE AND BUST HIM PROPERLY.
YOU WILL BE HIGHLY P O 'D !!!
YOU WILL REMEMBER READING THIS.
This isn't an expression but it'll do. It's not always nice to rain on somebody's parade who is excited about an new gadget they have acquired and sometimes it's better for people to learn from their own mistakes and experiences not someone else's hearsay.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah - So the proper term is probably aperture sight but the term peep sight has been used to describe the aperture sight for so long that the terms are pretty much synonymous.

Just because you can't shoot with a forward mounted aperture sight doesn't mean others can't. It may not be the best mount for you but it just may be the cat's meow for "The Lewis".

Jeesh!!!! You're awful picky today Terry and I guess I'm probably a bit picky too. Time for me to pull the plug on the bottle and have a touch.
ED
Yer never too old
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Leverdude wrote:I'm surprised I hear so many good reports really. Theres another barrel mounted peep out the called "one ragged hole" I tried I didn't like.
hey leverdude, what do you think about the full buckhorn sights?
g rice
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

gary rice wrote:
hey leverdude, what do you think about the full buckhorn sights?
Those, if you take the time to get used to them, are great.
It took me a long time to actually try & shoot well with one & once I got to where I ignore the sides &just look thru the notch I find it a good sight picture & easy to aquire. Theyre nice too if your shooting further out & need to pick the front sight up a bit. I like them for the most part.
Given a choice tho I'll always use a reciever mounted aperture sight to peep thru. I just like them. Different strokes for different folks.