New sights for my Rossi 92'

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

New sights for my Rossi 92'

Post by flightsimmer »

I've been searching for new sights for my Rossi 92' 38/357 lever action. I first thought I wanted those new fiber optic sights on it but after emailing Rossi and I think Williams sights I decided against it. Rossi said to contact Williams and Williams said to contact Rossi so I said "to heck with both of them" and went looking elseware.
Steve's Gunz has quite a selection of various sights for the Rossi 92' and after a lot of research I decided to go with the peep sight in the bolt to replace the safety button and a new large (3/32nds) white bead front sight. Along with that I purchased the tiny little screws to fill the holes in the barrel under the old rear sight and the filler blank for the now empty dove tail and while I was at it I purchased the stainless magazine tube follower. I didn't get the Scout Rail mount but I may get it later if I feel the need.
So after they arrived I sat down at my work bench and decided to install the rear peep sight first, that way I could line it up with the old sights. Then I drove out the old front sight L to R and installed the new one, checking alignment with the new rear peep and the old rear sight, hoping to save some time and ammo in getting it sighted back in. Then I drove out the old rear sight L to R and tried the fit of the blank to fill the dove tail, it was a little loose so I used a brass drift that I had to gently drive the edges of the dove tail down untill it was tight enough to hold the filler blank, it didn't take much. Then I installed the stainless magazine follower which only took a minute and I was all done.
The whole process only took about 20 minutes and was easy to do.
The new sights are a lot easier on my eyes and are quicker to use for snap shooting.
I hope this has been helpful to you.
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Re: New sights for my Rossi 92'

Post by FatJackDurham »

Nice. Do you have any photos?
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

FatJackDurham wrote:Nice. Do you have any photos?
No, but you can see most of it here.
http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?m ... seruhfedh7

and here.
http://store.stevesgunz.com/
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
1894c

Post by 1894c »

thanks for the post...those factory sights must be designed for those alien-human hybrids that walk amongst us...i too have replaced the front sight on every levergun that i own and usually use some sort of receiver (peep-sight)... :)
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

336BL wrote:thanks for the post...those factory sights must be designed for those alien-human hybrids that walk amongst us...i too have replaced the front sight on every levergun that i own and usually use some sort of receiver (peep-sight)... :)
Actually, if you look at original Winchester 1892's most commonly used sights, the Rossi's stock sights are a decent reproduction of them. Many older rifles didn't have that good of sights and I'm thinking that they were designed for strength and durability as much as for producing precise sight pictures. That said, I too have replaced the sights on both my Rossis with newer versions from Marble. They are better, more precise sights for my eyes, but they aren't original style. I guess many of us are just use to the more modern designs.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

The original (Win) carbine ladder may not be the most robust type of sights, but I'd love to replace several of my Interarms-era Rossi carbines' sights with Steve's original period-correct type (carbine) ladder. I don't see that he says, but unfortunately they're probably only for the more recent (post Interarms) Win .375 dovetails vs the odd duck Interarms .390 or so. I know he has one semi buckhorn he's made up for the older Rossis. My more-recent era Rossis--but still pre safety EMFs--have as standard equipment pretty decent Marble-type semi bucks that are much nicer than the non EMF Rossis, thanks I understand to Steve Young (NKJ) who helped "specially" spec the EMFs....so I'll probably leave those alone.