Harley Davidson--which one?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Harley Davidson--which one?

Post by .45colt »

Blaine hit the nail square on the head. if You have alot of power in a bike You ARE going to use it, the Kid will come out in very short order. I would also recomend the same bike for a beginner. after You learn the basic stuff. http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/produc ... d=7&id=579.
I have ridden for 38 years and I am no expert but I can tell You that if a women with a car full of kids pulls out (she never looked) in front you when your going 45mph the trip over the hood and down the road is alot better when your helmet hits the pavment instead of your skull. I had a good m/c jacket and helmet on and the rescue squad workers thanked Me for wearing them.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

BlaineG wrote:IMO (worth 2 cents or less :lol: ) You will outgrow a Honda Rebel (250cc) very, very soon. A grown man with common sense could start out on a used, medium 600-900 or so cc Rice Burner and go from there. I've steered a couple friends into a Kawasaki 900 cruiser and they are tickled to death. When I get tired of 800 mile days, I'll sell down to a smaller one like that, or a 1200 Sporty....With all due respect to Madman, if you buy a superbike like that Yamaha, save the box it came in so you won't have to buy a casket :lol: :lol:

Blaine,

Here is the scary thing, that little Yamaha is "by no means a superbike" it's just a little 600cc that honestly when driven(normal)is an absolute pleasure.Very easy going/well mannered/stops fantastic/rides and handles fantastic.

What I liked about that bike(riding it)was the position of how one sits on it.Its about perfect size wise/weight wise for an average sized man and when price is considered and reliability it is a very smooth nice bike to learn on for "normal people"

Sure if he gets drunk/crazy or whatever that steed will wind it up/but normally for a normal rider it is a smooth nimble fun machine.
New for around $6 and 5 year powertrain extended warranty(around $500??)good mileage for a new rider(great machine)

The 250cc(no way in heck)too small----if you are bound to get a 250CC make it an Enduro and only use it in town.
That FZ6 feels/rides reminds me of the 1990's Honda 500 CX (which I loved)
Really the best way is take the safety course and try them all.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Wanna see something that will blow your mind.(2 years ago got the chance to try one of these at Watkins Glen(track)

This is a SUPERBIKE
This bike will pull the front wheel (up high)off the ground about any speed/gear

I actually had the DT's after riding that bike and I have rode fast bikes all my life. :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVWUiXqD ... re=related

Faster than Jimmie Johnson's ride :lol:

CHECK OUT VIDEO AT 2 min section :lol:
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

heed what wesoger and last mohecken said... they had great advice...when you drop that new bike in the parking lot (and you will) you'll want to cry and then you got to pick the heavy son of a gun up and you will be alone...
I never figured out why people always want a Sporty first, they were orginially a racer and they are the tallest thing HD has, when i sold bikes I always had to steer the women away from them aqainst their husbands wishes--the husband was always riding something chopped and lowered with a 20" seat height...
first bike go used, go light and I hate to say it but go Jap...once you realize that you are out riding the bike then trade up and by then you will know what kind of riding you are going to do...
bikes are like guns too, if someone offers to let you ride theirs do it, slow until you figure out the controls and their position;
then ride it like you stole it
Always wear gloves, ever notice how the skin on your palms and the bottom of your feet are different from the rest of your body? When you have to have a transplant on your palm they take it from your foot--no walky, no touchy...

Motorcycle Consumer News is a great magazine, full of bikes of all types and full of tips with no advertising so it isn't too biased

Good luck and have fun

P.S.I am trying to find a picture of me showing up at a CAS shoot with my long guns strapped to the back of my old 'glide...
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Must say there's some real helpful people in this group. Thanks for all the good advice. For sure, a safety class is a must. Basically I just have to have the common sense to not exceed my ability--which is presently on the low side for sure.

I really "have a leg-up" on safety and how to go about it as a beginner. Ray Proenneke who lives real close to me has had 3 Harleys. Like I say I bet he'll ride whatever I get--at 89 years of age! This might make you think he's reckless but he's a soft spoken and very reasonable person and I would guess about as careful as they come. But....he told me of a couple of his spills and he's well aware of the danger of motorcycles. Forgot to mention earlier that he's also flown glider planes.

Don
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

safety? A motorcycle will out-accelerate, out-decelerate, and out-maneuver any car on the road! The motorcycle is the safest vehicle--

--

-- right up to the point of impact.

My worst wreck was ON THE WAY to take the MSF course for the third time, the AF made you take it at each base and this was my fourth bike, but I was looking forward to it anyway. A mini pickup cut through a long line of traffic into a driveway and looked up and saw me and panicked and STOPPED, right in my lane, left me nowhere to go, so I went over him. The bike didn't.

Had some smaller scrapes and dents but been fairly lucky. You need to be the best driver in the world every second. It can be done but it's tiring.

Start used, start Japanese, size it more on your own size than your ability. I'm around six feet and under 240 and I'd look pretty silly on a Rebel, I'd go with over 500cc and under a thousand. Either cruiser or standard (sit up straight) style, stay far away from crotch rockets.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Wow, I'm learning some stuff here too.

Looks like we beat down the subject of the MSF class. I'm torn though, should you take it as a absolute beginning rider or get just a little experience so you you won't be overwhelmed? In mine, we went from finding the clutch 'friction zone' and rocking the bike back and forth to an hour later rolling around the parking lot. I think that was a lot for the newbies. Interesting though, 12 folk, only one didn't make it. And no dropped bikes, no accidents.

As far as dropping bikes, that's why I got the dual sport KLR650. On a message board, someone posted that every KLR owner should roll their bike out of the showroom into the parking lot, set the stand down, walk around it and kick it over onto the pavement right there. Once you get over that, you don't have to whine anymore and you can get down to riding.

What's amazing to me is the advancement in bike technology over last twenty, thirty years. The newer stuff can go from zero to crapping your pants fast in a very few seconds. Good to see there's plenty of advancements in safety gear and helmets.

As I'm said before, anyone can get on a bike and roll on the throttle to three figures. When I was wearing the funny hat, had to pick up after couple crashes of such folk. (don't ask further!)

But if you can take a bike into a parking lot, drive up one stripe of a marked parking spot, turn and roll back down the next adjacent stripe, then you're doing something.

Get your buddy's scooter out and get plenty of ride time and parking lot time on it. Scooters are nothing to laugh at. I had to speed up to 70 to pass one on the interstate just a little bit west outside of Salt Lake City.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

wecsoger wrote:Wow, I'm learning some stuff here too.

Looks like we beat down the subject of the MSF class. I'm torn though, should you take it as a absolute beginning rider or get just a little experience so you you won't be overwhelmed? In mine, we went from finding the clutch 'friction zone' and rocking the bike back and forth to an hour later rolling around the parking lot. I think that was a lot for the newbies. Interesting though, 12 folk, only one didn't make it. And no dropped bikes, no accidents.

As far as dropping bikes, that's why I got the dual sport KLR650. On a message board, someone posted that every KLR owner should roll their bike out of the showroom into the parking lot, set the stand down, walk around it and kick it over onto the pavement right there. Once you get over that, you don't have to whine anymore and you can get down to riding.

What's amazing to me is the advancement in bike technology over last twenty, thirty years. The newer stuff can go from zero to crapping your pants fast in a very few seconds. Good to see there's plenty of advancements in safety gear and helmets.

As I'm said before, anyone can get on a bike and roll on the throttle to three figures. When I was wearing the funny hat, had to pick up after couple crashes of such folk. (don't ask further!)

But if you can take a bike into a parking lot, drive up one stripe of a marked parking spot, turn and roll back down the next adjacent stripe, then you're doing something.

Get your buddy's scooter out and get plenty of ride time and parking lot time on it. Scooters are nothing to laugh at. I had to speed up to 70 to pass one on the interstate just a little bit west outside of Salt Lake City.

Scooter's ?????????????????
Isn't Technology wonderful????????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDhN2cGA ... re=related

Even the 400 Suzuki Scooter :shock: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLXsKXr0 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hGs2jC7 ... re=related
:o
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

"Crotch Rocket" someone said. I know the type and not interested at all. Believe I've seen some of these trying to outrun police on YouTube.

Another person mentioned a test of driving on parking lot lines for testing your ability.

This got me to thinking:

What are some good, practical riding tests (in addition to the above) that would give a person an idea of their true ability. Nothing real unsafe, just a "well if I can do these things I'm a pretty good rider."

Don
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

getitdone1 wrote:"Crotch Rocket" someone said. I know the type and not interested at all. Believe I've seen some of these trying to outrun police on YouTube.

Another person mentioned a test of driving on parking lot lines for testing your ability.

This got me to thinking:

What are some good, practical riding tests (in addition to the above) that would give a person an idea of their true ability. Nothing real unsafe, just a "well if I can do these things I'm a pretty good rider."

Don
A decent master rider course will have plenty of slow speed carnival acts to practice. Most people dump their scoots while stopping, or trying to turn too slow in a parking lot (hint: if you are stopping, and the bike is not straight, and you crank on the front brake, you will tip over in the direction the front wheel is turned...I try to remember to let off the front brake the last few MPHs)
When I was working at passing my last driving test for MC, I figured out that if I set the idle up, and kept it in first gear, and never touched the clutch I could keep my speed up enough not to crash and burn in the slow turns....You WILL learn to hate the center of gravity :lol: Speed will defeat it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

madman4570 wrote: [That FZ6 feels/rides reminds me of the 1990's Honda 500 CX (which I loved)

Your not a decade off, are ya MAdman? :lol: :D I remember the CX's from the early 80's. Honda even experimented with a turbocharged version that was one of the first production FI bikes too

I was a little kid with pics of these bikes on my bedroom walls ----- my most coveted machine was the V-65 Magna until Yamaha pulled out the V-Max !

Crotch rockets were a lot slower then in comparison (possibly selective memory too, IDK )
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Find an alley type long one way road(hardly used)that is too narrow for two cars and practice so you can WITH YOUR FEET UP(on pegs)2 circles/2 figure eights/go up through the gears/brake shift to first while maintaining balance almost stopped and come back down narrow single road same way.

I will say a smaller bike makes a huge difference with this practice.(also while learning much easier to keep bike up while catching yourself with foot/feet coming down.A bike like a on/off road 250 is great for this practice/tests.
Though my bike mainly for the road was a BSA 650, I took my test on my street legal DT175 Yamaha Enduro and passed with ease :wink:
Above was what we had to do. It was almost impossible with a big bike.

The one thing I do like about the 250cc-400cc on/off road bikes is for mostly just going around town they are a blast and when you do get ready for a big road bike if you still want one(you have your little on/off road machine for playing on treking country areas.
Kinda nice having one of each!
I had a MT 250 Honda that I wish I had today(loved that little bike) traded it for a Honda 250 Dream :lol:

One thing when you start riding (dawn/dusk watch for deer(big time)
Also when coming up to a 4 corner/4 stop make sure any car approaching that is going faster than a sloth (they fully stop)
Too many times someone does not notice your pulling out (your turn)and they run their sign(your wiped out)
Another thing(highway riding)wear a full face shield.This is especially true for newer riders.(wait till you are doing 65-70)cars/trucks all around and a june bug(the size of texas)hits you smack dab in the nose at that speed.You gotta work into that stuff.
RJM52
Levergunner

Post by RJM52 »

If you are looking for an "all-around" bike that does everything well from zipping through curves to long distance trips, I've been REAL happy with my T-Sport. Kinda hard to find as they only made them for three years (2001-2003) but they can be found with low miles well under $10K.

Did one cross country 6800 mile trip in 30 days and a lot of 1-3 trips in New England. 100% ZERO problems with the bike in a little over 30K miles....

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... -Sport.htm

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadte ... to_10.html

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/113/973/M ... FXDXT.aspx

If you don't like/need the bags or fairing then the Sport FXDX is the same bike. These both handle much like a Sportster but are a LOT more comfortable on longer rides....

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... eSport.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-D ... 1c2600f405

I like mine as it just does everything well.....Bob
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Don't want to 'buy trouble' with a used bike.

I'd guess if you buy a used bike buy one with 15,000 or fewer miles on it. What would be average miles before an overhaul? 30,000?

I suppose overall appearance would tell you--usually--how well the owner maintained the engine, etc.

I read that the final drive belt is not good on gravel roads. Why? Could a rock get under it and cause it to come-off? Would not want to drive on gravel roads very much. Do you get a lot of dust on you when doing so--from front tire?

Of course I see the advantages to both the bigger ones and the smaller ones and easy to see that the much lighter smaller one would be easier to handle simply due to it's lighter weight. On the other hand I'd think the heavier ones would give you more 'grip to the road' so not as apt to slide sideways on turns.

Oh, and what do you do when a bunch of tough look'in guys on Harleys pull-up and surround you? My guess would be, be friendly? :D

Don
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Idahoser wrote:safety? A motorcycle will out-accelerate, out-decelerate, and out-maneuver any car on the road!
Absolute myth.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

getitdone1 wrote:Don't want to 'buy trouble' with a used bike.

I'd guess if you buy a used bike buy one with 15,000 or fewer miles on it. What would be average miles before an overhaul? 30,000?

I suppose overall appearance would tell you--usually--how well the owner maintained the engine, etc.

I read that the final drive belt is not good on gravel roads. Why? Could a rock get under it and cause it to come-off? Would not want to drive on gravel roads very much. Do you get a lot of dust on you when doing so--from front tire?

Of course I see the advantages to both the bigger ones and the smaller ones and easy to see that the much lighter smaller one would be easier to handle simply due to it's lighter weight. On the other hand I'd think the heavier ones would give you more 'grip to the road' so not as apt to slide sideways on turns.

Oh, and what do you do when a bunch of tough look'in guys on Harleys pull-up and surround you? My guess would be, be friendly? :D

Don
Ignore them....(and, personally, I don't wear patches just for that reason)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Streetstar wrote:
madman4570 wrote: [That FZ6 feels/rides reminds me of the 1990's Honda 500 CX (which I loved)

Your not a decade off, are ya MAdman? :lol: :D I remember the CX's from the early 80's. Honda even experimented with a turbocharged version that was one of the first production FI bikes too

I was a little kid with pics of these bikes on my bedroom walls ----- my most coveted machine was the V-65 Magna until Yamaha pulled out the V-Max !

Crotch rockets were a lot slower then in comparison (possibly selective memory too, IDK )
yep, I should reproof read stuff before I hit submit.(1980's) :lol:
I remember trying out a GoldWing and on the highway that bike was absolutely fantastic.Pulled back into the dealership and the salesman said "want you to try one more" A 500???? :lol:
I got on that bike rode it for 50 miles :lol: pulled back into the dealership(salesman "which I knew"said I thought you wrecked?

That bike for a 500 was about the smoothest 500 I have ever ridden.(I actually almost bought it)
Shaft drive/water cooled :mrgreen: Sweet I thought :lol:
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

my first 'real' bike was a used '80 CX500C, which I traded in for a '85 Magna. Couple years ago I got into the '83 CX650C's trying to make one good one I bought five all together, I think. Just too many parts were impossible to find, and I was trying to put it back as it was which was stupid. That'll be a lot easier with this bike I think.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Going into an empty parking lot and practicing along the marked lines is a great way to work on basics.

Go up the edge lines of one parking space, turn, come back down the line of the fourth space over. Go to the end of that one turn and come back. If you have a long set of marked spaces you'll be making left and right hand turns.

When you can do every fourth, then do every third. Repeat.

Along the middle of marked spaces, pretend there is a traffic cone every other +. Do a slalom all the way down.

If you want to see real maneuverability, look at some of the cop motorcycle competitions. I was at one live, watching them practice. Watching an ol' boy taking a Road King through its paces on a course I couldn't successfully pass on a bicycle or with one beer in me, walking...that was impressive.

Oh by the way. These guys dropped their bikes *a lot*. Guess their departments didn't mind too much. (grin)

State of Ohio class I took for the final test:
Accelerate and get into second, at a marked cone come to fastest stop possible, front/rear brakes, downshift to first before putting your foot down. ride away when instructed.
Ride into a marked "box" approximately the size of two cars parked side by side and four cars long. Do a figure eight inside that box, leaving it on the opposite end.
Accelerate up to speed and second gear, at marked cone swerve (handlebar push) to go around another group of cones, swerve back (handlebar push) to correct and straighen your course
Accelerate, go into a corner, then long sweeping and tightening curve

Couple hard and fast rules:
Always look where you're going, not where you're at. (don't look down in curves, look away to where you're going next. Very Important!)
Always brake *before* curves, accelerate when you're into the curve. (get your speed down before entry, if you have to hit your brakes in a curve you're screwed)
Helmets. Helmets. Helmets.
Always figure the other driver doesn't see you. If you think they do see you, then figure they're trying to kill you deliberately, not accidentally.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

getitdone1 wrote:Don't want to 'buy trouble' with a used bike.

Don
The belts on most motorcycles are 1 inch to 1-1/2" wide and what happens sometimes is a pebble will flip up and land on the inside of the belt, and then be carried into the rear pulley, at which time it gets crushed or driven through the belt, creating a hole or tear in the belt, which weakens the belt, or possibly even causes it to break.

As far as milage goes, before overhaul, It really depends on how you ride it, how you maintain it, maybe how lucky you are. But it's not uncommon for a Harley to be good for a hundred thousand miles, on an overhaul, however, timing chains and or belts, need to be watched, and maintained, and might need replacing, primary chains offen need replacing, as they can stretch, and some years they had some problems with cam bearings, etc.

Many Metric bikes have their problems too, do some research before you buy on the models you are thinking about. However, I will say this, if you are going to ride an older bike, I much prefer a Harley, because new parts are availabe even for pretty old bikes, where older Jap bikes can be hard to find parts for. Also, there are a lot more places to take a Harley to get it worked on then a Jap bike. A lot of times, the only place to take a Jap bike is to the dealer (stealer), where there are lots of independents that work on Harleys, and will work on the old bikes. This is important because, lots of dealers, both Harley and Metric will not work on bikes much older then 7 years, and some it 15 years.
NRA Life Member, Patron
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

What he said.

Add to that...and before saying it, I'll look around in case I get struck by lightning...

I don't know when it started, maybe a decade ago, HD started trading on their name a lot more than they should have for their bikes. Yes, they're good bikes, great quality, but overpriced. And being in some dealerships, I've been treated with, well, less than a customer service oriented attitude from someone who should be trying to sell me a bike. It's just not me and my sparkling personality, several of my friends say the same thing.

HD has also gotten a reputation as a "geezer bike" (imagine that) from all of us olde fartes finally able to afford one. They are really working hard to change that image with a new low of the smaller 'sport' bikes. Remains to be seen how that works out.

Their technology is solid, but dated. I read the online reports for police departments making fleet purchases and making serious scientific comparisons. HD, pitted against the Kawasaki and BMW packages, they beat the HD's on measurable metrics sometimes by a factor of three, four, five or more.

Ok, typed this much so far and there's no boom of thunder!

So saying, the majority of bikes lose resale value rapidly. HD's, treated right will hold value a lot better and if you don't go nuts on customization (you *never* get your money back on that), and if you get a good classic bike it may even break even over the years.

If it doesn't get stolen, look up the theft statistics for Harleys.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

wecsoger,

I got your point about better resale value for a Harley that's been treated well but still wondering if there isn't another bike brand or two that also holds their value well.

Don
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

getitdone1 wrote:wecsoger,

I got your point about better resale value for a Harley that's been treated well but still wondering if there isn't another bike brand or two that also holds their value well.

Don
BMW

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ok, I rode for years... but haven't ridden for years. So from my perpective as a (now) non-rider... every rider I've known has crashed. At one point or another. I've had two, at least one of which should NOT have happened. 1st wreck happened on my B-I-L's Yamaha 650 Twin.
Super fun bike. Handled just like the Bonneville and other sport bikes of the era. If I was to buy another bike and if it weren't the
the vintage Yamaha twin would be it!

But at 80mph, a blow-out on the back tire is about as a hair-raising experience as you'd want. Add to that, rush hour traffic, a steel deck bridge surface (on the downhill side to boot), with a stop light less than ¾ mile in front of you. It didn't do the left side of the bike any good, but you can put one down on it's side and stand/squat on the right side and ride it to a stop. Good to be wearing thick soled Navy boondockers at the time... feet got a little warm... but no real damage... Although, the left shoe had a traction tread from the engine fins.

Major knee surgery from a silly street wreck on my Kawasaki KX400 ('73 or '74 model IIRC).
Six major mistakes in that little mishap... went to run an errand around the corner on residential street... 1 - carrying a small gas can in lap for lawnmower; 2 - wearing jeans; 3- no gloves, helmet or ANY safety type equipment; 4 - idling along in 2nd gear; 5 - holding gas can with left hand; 6 - stood up to adjust "pants"; and my right hand seemed to just roll up the throttle... somewhere around vertical and realizing that none of the bike was on the gound, I figured out that I was about to have a little crash... ditched the gas can... got left hand back on bar... when the back end bounced on the asphalt a second time... feet slipped off pegs... hands quicked followed, leaving the bike riderless and vertical... gotta say... tho' it was a well balanced machine... even without a rider it bounced 3 more times on the back tire before loss of rpms let it fall over.

It helps to have LOTS of practice falling. Even tho' I landed on my feet, balance was off and I knew falling backward would ultimately cause head to impact pavement... left hand went to the back of my head, and curling my back, in a belly "scrunch" position I was able to roll and with the cushion of my hand, keep my head from impacting with any force... but I then rolled forward, and know my legs were folded up in front of me... which left me vulnerable to the proverbial "face plant"! In order to prevent THAT, I used my right arm on my right leg to stop that forward roll. You know what? You CAN completely push your lower leg out of alignment with the knee and get up and walk... for about 5 steps.

But, I was, oh so much younger then! Something to remember as you embark on this new phase.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:Ok, I rode for years... but haven't ridden for years. So from my perpective as a (now) non-rider... every rider I've known has crashed. At one point or another. I've had two, at least one of which should NOT have happened. 1st wreck happened on my B-I-L's Yamaha 650 Twin.
Super fun bike. Handled just like the Bonneville and other sport bikes of the era. If I was to buy another bike and if it weren't the

But at 80mph, a blow-out on the back tire is about as a hair-raising experience as you'd want. Add to that, rush hour traffic, a steel deck bridge surface (on the downhill side to boot), with a stop light less than ¾ mile in front of you. It didn't do the left side of the bike any good, but you can put one down on it's side and stand/squat on the right side and ride it to a stop. Good to be wearing thick soled Navy boondockers at the time... feet got a little warm... but no real damage... Although, the left shoe had a traction tread from the engine fins.

Major knee surgery from a silly street wreck on my Kawasaki KX400 ('73 or '74 model IIRC).
Six major mistakes in that little mishap... went to run an errand around the corner on residential street... 1 - carrying a small gas can in lap for lawnmower; 2 - wearing jeans; 3- no gloves, helmet or ANY safety type equipment; 4 - idling along in 2nd gear; 5 - holding gas can with left hand; 6 - stood up to adjust "pants"; and my right hand seemed to just roll up the throttle... somewhere around vertical and realizing that none of the bike was on the gound, I figured out that I was about to have a little crash... ditched the gas can... got left hand back on bar... when the back end bounced on the asphalt a second time... feet slipped off pegs... hands quicked followed, leaving the bike riderless and vertical... gotta say... tho' it was a well balanced machine... even without a rider it bounced 3 more times on the back tire before loss of rpms let it fall over.

It helps to have LOTS of practice falling. Even tho' I landed on my feet, balance was off and I knew falling backward would ultimately cause head to impact pavement... left hand went to the back of my head, and curling my back, in a belly "scrunch" position I was able to roll and with the cushion of my hand, keep my head from impacting with any force... but I then rolled forward, and know my legs were folded up in front of me... which left me vulnerable to the proverbial "face plant"! In order to prevent THAT, I used my right arm on my right leg to stop that forward roll. You know what? You CAN completely push your lower leg out of alignment with the knee and get up and walk... for about 5 steps.

But, I was, oh so much younger then! Something to remember as you embark on this new phase.
:oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Griff,

Thanks for the pictures and the, well documented, warning.

Do you recall when you were much younger that "wrecks and injuries only happened to the other guy and I'll be alright?"

Don
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Why BLACK? Seems like nearly all the clothing associated with bike riders is black in color. This, I'm sure, kind of adds to the "that look" many bike riders get from non-bike riders. I'd prefer brown if it's available.

Don
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

getitdone1 wrote:Griff,
Thanks for the pictures and the, well documented, warning.
Do you recall when you were much younger that "wrecks and injuries only happened to the other guy and I'll be alright?"
Don
Exactly right! But, while I might still be 10 feet tall and bullet proof; and those things that only left a scar or two then... today, well... I don't think I'd fare so well!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

We need to remember the safety stuff too - guys. One of the other surgeons I competed with was really promoting the mandatory seat belt laws (I had used belts I scrounged out of junked planes in my Korean War duty for my car - before he ever thought of them) - but anyway, he pushed me into taking one of his seat belt dash stickers with the promise I would stick it on my dash.

I reported to him I had the sticker on my dash - he never asked which vehicle (he didn't approve motorcycles either) but, I think he knew -

At any rate, my fellow bikers knew - I'm a Charter Life Member of the AMA (and the "M" doesn't mean Medicine) - I didn't start riding bikes until I was nearly 14 (1940 - way out in the sticks where licenses weren't big) and it was worth all the $15.00 me and my two roommates (boarding school) paid for it - suicide clutch and all. Sorry I don't have a pic - cameras were invented but we didn't have one. Starter was broken so we had to use one of us to push it and another to ride and start it - tricky with the shift on the tank and the left foot worked the clutch - but - we learned a lot.

Edit: The starter that was broken was, of course, the kick starter - I don't think electric starters had been invented when that bike was made -
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Just happened to run across a couple of huge, custom motorcycles. One is the Roadog weighing about 3200 lbs and the other was much larger than this one and made in Germany. Don't recall it's name

Thought some of you would find this interesting.

Get these on there sides and you've got problems.

Don
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

getitdone1 wrote:Why BLACK? Seems like nearly all the clothing associated with bike riders is black in color. This, I'm sure, kind of adds to the "that look" many bike riders get from non-bike riders. I'd prefer brown if it's available.

Don
The reason Black was the old color, is because the older bike did require more hands on mechanical work, sometimes beside the road, etc, and black doesn't show dirt, oil, and grease, nearly as bad as most other colors.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

getitdone1 wrote:wecsoger,

Don
Harleys will loose value too, pretty fast, for the first few years, but an older Harley will continue to hold it's value for several years, after it takes the first big hit on depreciation, from brand new, which can be a big plus for buying a used Metric bike, because you can often find a pretty nice bike, for a very resonable price.

Frankly, when I started riding again, after many years of no riding, I didn't really understand the Harley vs Metric deal, but after I rode for a few years I understand now, more so. And it really does come down to what you want to ride, why you ride, and what kind of image you identify with, and maybe what kind of bike your riding buddys ride, also, as shallow as that might sound, and what kind of bike you are confortable on, riding position, etc.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Griff wrote:Ok, I rode for years... but haven't ridden for years. So from my perpective as a (now) non-rider... every rider I've known has crashed. At one point or another. I've had two, at least one of which should NOT have happened. 1st wreck happened on my B-I-L's Yamaha 650 Twin.

Well, I will tell you, riding a motorcycle is dangerous, but it's a lot more dangerous when you are a brand new rider and you don't know how to handle the bike, and this is where taking a motorsafety course is so important for a new rider, because you will learn about many of the pitfalls that trip a rider, and how to avoid them. Also, it's been proven that bikers with dirt riding experience have a lot less accidents on the street, then people that have never ridden dirt.

Also, as motorcycle safety course can help clean up some of the myths about riding that can trip up a new rider. And one of those is there is usually no need or advantage to Quote "laying a bike down and riding it out on the sheetmetal, plastic, and axle nuts" That's called wrecking the bike. Espacally on the street, you can always stop a bike quicker by keeping it on the rubber and using your brakes then sliding down the highway, on the axle nuts. The only way I would lay one down on purpose is to slide under a trailer truck bed or something, but people continue to believe this myth about laying one down.

The best riders, learn how to avoid getting into a tight siduation, that requires fancy riding skill, and those are the riders that live. There are old riders and there are bold riders as they say, but not too many old and bold riders.
NRA Life Member, Patron
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I appreciate you guys with riding experience letting me know full well the dangers of riding motorcycles. As I know you'll agree, a good safety/riding class plus staying away from traffic most of the time will go a long way in helping prevent accidents. Not perfect, of course, but a big help.

Surely "TRAFFIC" is a major cause of accidents. I'm more for riding to the "lonely places" and as little to do as possible with traffic.

The "Old and Bold" saying is also well-known amongst pilots--as I expect most of you know.

Yesterday I read a review about 3 people taking a Honda Valkyrie, Kawasaki Nomad and Harley Roadking on a test ride. All 99' models. Overall they seemed to like the Honda best. Lots of power, they said. They all weighed about 775 lbs, 35-40 mpg on the fuel w/ Harley having best fuel mileage. The Honda Valkyrie reached 101.4 mph in a 1/4 mile while the other two were quite a bit slower. Experienced rider bikes, for sure.

Later I came across the Valkyrie Rune with 1832cc motor. With enough experience to put it through it's paces, that'd be something to ride.

Don
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

getitdone1 wrote:Later I came across the Valkyrie Rune with 1832cc motor. With enough experience to put it through it's paces, that'd be something to ride.
Don
No DUH! My somewhat hotrod VW bug only had an 1835cc!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Here's a good site and associated article on motorcycle crashes

http://www.motorcycleinsurance.com/a-mo ... ent-facts/

The URL pretty much tells you they have a vested interest in pushing an agenda. But they don't beat you over the head with it, and there's a wealth of information on cycles, riding and some incredibly nice pictures of antique bikes.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Trust me, a standard Valkyrie has more power than most people need. You can youtube a video of a Dragon (valk) pulling a wheelie. Top speed is supposedly around 138mph. If it had six gears, it probalby would be qite a bit higher. There is a trick, I have seen, with a Valk. You can put a nickle, on edge, on the engine and run the rpm up to 4000 and the nickle won't fall over.

Enjoy whatever you get.

Rife safe
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Thunder50 wrote:Trust me, a standard Valkyrie has more power than most people need. You can youtube a video of a Dragon (valk) pulling a wheelie. Top speed is supposedly around 138mph. If it had six gears, it probalby would be qite a bit higher. There is a trick, I have seen, with a Valk. You can put a nickle, on edge, on the engine and run the rpm up to 4000 and the nickle won't fall over.

Enjoy whatever you get.

Rife safe
I like showing off the nickel trick! Get it balanced, start the motor and then start inching up the throttle. It starts getting a little squirrely and turning on edge a ways past 3,000RPMs.

Regarding the earlier comments about black leather gear:
Sure, I understand about the history, but today it seems a sub-optimal choice unless only riding in cooler temperatures and motorcycling is by nature a warm season activity. Having a full set of black leathers that don't get worn for most of the riding season because they're too hot just doesn't make sense to me. Another thing, what's the point of being a rugged individualistic lone motorcyclist if you need to go and dress just like every other biker, anyhow? :lol:
The attached shows what I've been wearing the past few years. The day before this was spent travelling in 100 degree temps and if the one antelope on the shoulder HAD darted into me while I eased past or any of the other hazards of the day had put me down, at least the gear was on and would've done some good instead of being back home or bungeed on top of the luggage. Another feature was appreciated during the 500+ miles of the next day's riding that were spent being rained on; it's pretty decent rain gear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The 1800 Wings are the equal of the Valks.... :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Molasses:

Pink ! Was my mother's favorite color. It is a pretty color and I'll bet you have fun with it.

Griff: I wonder if you'll ever return to riding motorcycles? Seems you still like-em.

I read by far the most motorcycle accidents happen to people much younger than us.

Don
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

getitdone1 wrote:Molasses:

Pink ! Was my mother's favorite color. It is a pretty color and I'll bet you have fun with it.

Haw! :lol: Red sure does fade out to pink over time and looks even more so in pictures taken in bright sunlight with a cheap camera. It just goes to show I'm really not part of the crowd that feels they neeed to wear black leather; must be more like the boy named Sue... :mrgreen:

re: BlaineG, Honda really hit their stride with the flat-6 engines in terms of smoothness, the 1500 and the 1800 both. And I'd never say the 1800 'Wings aren't good. Personally don't much care for the way they look like two-wheeled golfcarts, but they're really good bikes and have performance far hotter than their land barge appearance would lead one to believe. The YouTube video of the guy that rides the Dragon all the time on his 1800 'Wing would be an eyeopener to anyone that didn't already know.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Not Pink.......Salmon :wink: (Harley had "Salmon once....they laughed at it, too)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I've now looked at a lot of motorcycles on the internet. Here's one I just found and like it's color and overall look. Really nice picture of a Harley and here it is for your enjoyment. Like the "whitewalls" too!

http://0.tqn.com/d/motorcycles/1/0/o/C/ ... -FLHRC.jpg

Don
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

getitdone1 wrote:I've now looked at a lot of motorcycles on the internet. Here's one I just found and like it's color and overall look. Really nice picture of a Harley and here it is for your enjoyment. Like the "whitewalls" too!

Don
Great bike Don!
But again, sounds like you have not ridden bikes before and buying that machine to learn on etc.(to me)is absolutely NUTS!
Honest indjuns you need a decent mid sized Jap machine(pretty cheap)learn on it/use it/see if you are going to want to keep riding and go from there.
That (as a first time/learning item) :lol: :oops: ---------------------nope!

Would rather see you get this bike (in Long Beach,Ca)for say $3500
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2007 ... -102769199
Use it/learn on it a year/keep it clean/put 5000 miles on it and sell it for $3500 because almost ALL the depreciation is off the bike.
Check those photos of it. 14 or 15 thousand miles isn't nothing for that year bike.(check last pic of bike :mrgreen:)
Besides you might like that so much-------------you'll just keep that one :wink:

Dude, come on now, watch this video---------wouldn't that bike do you up?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCsCqqSN ... re=related
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

getitdone1 wrote:I've now looked at a lot of motorcycles on the internet. Here's one I just found and like it's color and overall look. Really nice picture of a Harley and here it is for your enjoyment. Like the "whitewalls" too!

Don
Nice scoot......800+ lbs is a lot of scoot for a first timer, though. When you were talking Sportster, that would have been ok for a beginner. Get the beater to learn on (no matter how much I like the big ones) In time, I'll have to go back to a smaller, lighter one as my legs and balance ebb with my age...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

BlaineG wrote:

Don
Nice scoot......800+ lbs is a lot of scoot for a first timer, though. When you were talking Sportster, that would have been ok for a beginner. Get the beater to learn on (no matter how much I like the big ones) In time, I'll have to go back to a smaller, lighter one as my legs and balance ebb with my age...

Keep the bike bike Blane and trike it or a sidecar. :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I hear your warnings but I was just showing you guys a motorcycle I really like the looks of.

Ain't that thang purty? I'm using it for a background for my desktop for now.

Don
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

getitdone1 wrote:I hear your warnings but I was just showing you guys a motorcycle I really like the looks of.

Ain't that thang purty? I'm using it for a background for my desktop for now.

Don
Hey, if you ain't afraid to drop it some in the parking lot, buy that pup and ride it like ya stole it :lol: :idea:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Bought my first MC when I was 15 and learned to ride on it. '47 Knucklehead dresser. Yep, tank shift, foot clutch and all. About ran through the neighbor's yard fence but got her straightened out and started lovin' it. Let's see that was 1954. I've had a bunch of bikes since then and have only spent maybe a year or two total without one. Yeah, I've been down and broken both thumbs, still have a flat place on my knee from road grinding, etc. but my worst er "trophy" is from bull riding. When you are young and strong you can pick 'em up easy.

Really like the looks of that Road King Classic with the white walls. Just buy it and learn to ride it. You'll be fine.

Or take a look at the Soft-tail Heritage. Course something in me really likes the "Crossbones". But I still have one with that look less the springer front end.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Been there, done that. Three different times.