Injured bobcat bites woman who tries to help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

4/16/2012

Authorities say an injured bobcat bit a woman who stopped to help it along U.S. 301 near Tampa.

RIVERVIEW, Fla. (AP) —Authorities say an injured bobcat bit a woman who stopped to help it along U.S. 301 near Tampa.
Florida wildlife officials say the woman stopped in Riverview Thursday morning to cover the animal with a towel. Agency spokesman Gary Morse says the bobcat then “rose up and bit her.''
The Tampa Bay Times reports the animal is now is the custody of Hillsborough County Animal Rescue.
Morse says the animal will be tested because it bit someone, but it was unclear whether it will be put down.
He says people should not handle sick or injured wildlife. Instead, they should call animal experts for help.
The woman's condition was not available.

But... It was so cute! I don't know why it bit me, I was just trying to help.
bdhold

Re: Injured bobcat bites woman who tries to help

Post by bdhold »

all we have to do is show them that we're likable.
Sounds like the same approach applied by the same people to foreign policy.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Not nice to fool with mother nature!
A little different, but there was a gal here in Arizona hiking or jogging in the countryside near Prescott, IIRC, when she ws attacked by a bobcat. It latched onto her forearm and, somehow, she was able to limit its range of motion and had the presence of mind to carry the cat that way--attached to her arm--'til she got to ranger help! She was remarkably calm telling all this! (I imagine at the time of attack fairly frantic though :) )
Bobcats are not to be trifled with for sure. As they say, nothing like a cornered--or you could say in the OP's report--injured bobcat. They say, right along with badgers, the terror of the wilderness. It's been said that while a mountain lion can certainly kill a bobcat (or am sure badger too) through shear difference of strength and mass, it really doesn't want to and very seldom would--the penalty for "winning" being so unthinkable! We had a pair of half-bobs (intentional breeding by friends) when my folks lived out in the desert east of Phoenix. Great hunters--and rattler killers (their primary job)!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

But it was one of those noble animals who only bite their food. Why, and animal is nicer than a human. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

bulldog1935 wrote:all we have to do is show them that we're likable.
That same failed reasoning has been used in several situations I can think of.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Well, that's one of least clever things I've heard in a while. With it being so warm down there I bet the pelt isn't even worth anything if they decide to put it down.

Eric
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

The Lord Bless You

Terry
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Anyone who knows anything about injured carnivores knows that you better keep your hands to yourself unless you are really, really good with that particular animal.

Helping a Bobcat by putting a towel on it? :?
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

41 Redhawk wrote:Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AX9QoFhEhI
well shoot up here amongst us - one of has to have some relieving.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I've been charged by an uninjured bobcat in my own front yard while standing there with a Rottweiler and a 12ga, I would never even think about approaching a wounded one, that's a lot of reckless mean animal in a small package.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Was she blond by any chance? :lol:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Your beloved pet will most likely snap at you if he's injured/in pain...be careful.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Couple things.......

While I have zero experience with Bobcats I can vouch for how nasty a wild feline can be. I've caught more than a few ditch cougars in traps and snares and most can be released pretty easy. A completely wild one is another matter and a critter best left alone. I can only imagine what a bobcat can do to a person.

And the story has a glaring error. Ya ever wonder why when a person gets bit they don't test them for rabies and instead go straight to treatment? It's because they have to kill a critter to do the test. They remove part of the brain and there is no catch and release on this one. I imagine the only reason they stated as much was to keep the bunny huggers off their backs. BTW, my information comes from a close friend that worked for years at the veterinary testing laboratories at Iowa State University so unless things have changed substantially over the last 15 years say bye bye to kitty cat.

LK
Last edited by L_Kilkenny on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Only way you help an injured bobcat is with a 12 gauge to the head.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Baby bobcat found in attic in Scottsdale - not far from me. Picture this, grown up :) - I'm sure the feral cats in my area will keep 'em at bay :roll:
(Video link fixed)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en& ... Bp4wsSdYfI
Last edited by gak on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

If only she had done the right thing and called Disney for a translator...

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:If only she had done the right thing and called Disney for a translator...

:lol: But, only if she could get the call reimbursed.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

bulldog1935 wrote:all we have to do is show them that we're likable.
Sounds like the same approach applied by the same people to foreign policy.
that hits the nail on the head squarely!!
cable
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

FWiedner wrote:If only she had done the right thing and called Disney for a translator...

!!!!!! :lol:
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Well, I approached a wounded Bobcat only once in my life...
01-02-04 Bobcat 2.jpg
..but I came out the winner.
01-02-04 Bobcat 7.jpg
Thanks to "Superior Firepower".
Bobcat Skull.jpg
And just $350.00 later... :wink:
Bobcat Rug 01.JPG
Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I think that is the mentality of most PETA and Animal Rights activist! They litterally have no clue! If you ask me she got away pretty lucky! :roll: :roll: :roll: Some peoples kids!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

gak wrote: A little different, but there was a gal here in Arizona hiking or jogging in the countryside near Prescott, IIRC, when she ws attacked by a bobcat. It latched onto her forearm and, somehow, she was able to limit its range of motion and had the presence of mind to carry the cat that way--attached to her arm--'til she got to ranger help! She was remarkably calm telling all this! (I imagine at the time of attack fairly frantic though :) )

No one else said it so I guess I will. She sounds like my kind of woman.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

When I approach a wounded bobcat, it's normally because they're caught in one of my traps. I guess instead of shooting them. I really should take them home and make them house kitties :roll:
redmond
Levergunner

Post by redmond »

No, you don't have to be blonde or female...

This reminds me of one of my stupidest moves. A couple years ago our cat was literally pounding on the back door, one evening, demanding to come in. I opened the door and he shot past me - black blur. Outside on the patio another large cat was growling and acting aggressive. We live in the suburbs near Seattle, so silly me, I thought it was just one of the neighborhood tom cats being a tom cat.

Sooo, I grabbed a glass of water and threw it on him. Growling got louder. Did I take the hint? No, I got the push broom and started "sweeping" him off the patio. He didn't want to go. Louder growling, hissing, biting the broom, etc. At that point I actually looked at the cat. Hmmm, tan color, spots, short tail, white spots on backs of ears (laid back), about 20 lb., OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS! (editor didn't like my first entry)

So I beat a strategic retreat into the house. He eventually just sprayed the fence and stalked off. The score: House Cat 1, Bobcat 1, Homeowner 0.

My wife loves to remind me of this. Says she wishes she had pictures.