OT - Beowulf

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - Beowulf

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The movie "Beowulf" (sp?) came out on DVD this week. Has anyone seen it, and is it worth buying?

Part II - kid friendly or no? I love sword/action flicks. My son (9) has seen most of them with me - I cover his eyes if it gets too gory. My concern is more with foul language and adult themes - especially nudity. He's starting to ask questions!!!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Kid;
There have been so many movies about Beowolf in the last few years that I may or may not have seen it. The one I best remember had some tall foxy blond chick playing the queen or princess of Iceland and she was one BAD swordfighter.
Let me know how it goes.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Jay, I plan on buying it. It was rated R. I didn't see it in the movie theater but since the DVD is in the directors cut, I imagine you should preview it anyway to see when to be prepared for some eye covering. Anjela Jolie is bound to give an eyeful
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Saw it, it was pretty good, but not worth buying, imho.
There is a twist to the character, if you've read the original.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Hey Ysabel!

There's a good place for online movie reviews. Below is the link to the one on Beowulf. You can search their sight for their input on a wide variety of movies. I'm sure you can read between the lines and figure out what's going on in their reviews. For example, I'd like to see their review of Colombia sometime, based on their notes on "sexual content" - they'd probably rate the whole country as pretty raunchy. :) Anyway, for what it's worth, here you go. I've found their reviews helpful in the past.

http://www.pluggedinonline.com/movies/m ... 003505.cfm
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks Paul - I saved the home page of that site. It is going to come in handy. Sounds like they were going for the "300" effect. Doesn't sound like it will be good for the boy to watch though!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The movie "Beowulf" (sp?) came out on DVD this week. Has anyone seen it, and is it worth buying?
...is that the movie about one of those .50 caliber AR upper's...?

Sorry; couldn't resist :oops: .
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

crs wrote:Kid;
There have been so many movies about Beowolf in the last few years that I may or may not have seen it. The one I best remember had some tall foxy blond chick playing the queen or princess of Iceland and she was one BAD swordfighter.
Let me know how it goes.
You need to work on your Wagnerian mythology, that one was an adaptation of Siegfried...

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - Beowulf

Post by Idiot »

Ysabel Kid wrote:The movie "Beowulf" (sp?) came out on DVD this week. Has anyone seen it, and is it worth buying?

Part II - kid friendly or no? I love sword/action flicks. My son (9) has seen most of them with me - I cover his eyes if it gets too gory. My concern is more with foul language and adult themes - especially nudity. He's starting to ask questions!!!
Go to screenit.com and they will not only give you a review of the movie but tell exactly how many times they use the F bomb and every other cuss word, and they will identify and describe every semi-nude/nude and sexual scene; in short you will not have to read between any lines - if its bad (including "imitative behavior") they will tell you about it. It is the best parental screening sight for movies that I've found. It cost $20 a month, but is well worth it. Just how many times do you want the F bomb shouted throughout your house?
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

I saw it at the movies with my wife in 3-D. Very realistic, sometimes you would swear the figures were real. Not for the kiddies :shock:
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

FWiedner said "You need to work on your Wagnerian mythology, that one was an adaptation of Siegfried..."

OK, so I remembered the blond Valkerie but not the guys - so sue me.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Beowulf

Post by Noah Zark »

Ysabel Kid wrote:. . . My concern is more with foul language and adult themes - especially nudity. He's starting to ask questions!!!

If he's starting to ask questions, it's time to start explaining, and frequently talking about the subject of the sexes. I guarantee you that it's a hot topic on the schoolbus, in school, and with friends after school. Fact is, in a couple-few years he's facing puberty and "sexual maturity." Do him a favor and tell him what it's all about. IMO, the best way to handle it is to answer questions as he brings them up, and ask if there is anything else he wants to know. You likely talk to you children frequently about drugs, and IMO the same should be done regarding sex.

From whom do you wish him to learn -- you, or schoolmates?

JMO,

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Hey Guys,

This is the version that's highly computerized....not quite animated, and not quite real-life.

Angelina Jolle has a role as the mother of the monster.....she didn't know what the final product would look like, and after seeing it told her family not to go see it!

FYI....
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

AJMD429 wrote:
...is that the movie about one of those .50 caliber AR upper's...?

Sorry; couldn't resist :oops: .
not a .50 more like a 38D
cable
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I doubt if even the mammalian protuberances of A.Jolie contribute much to this epic poem. My favorite translation from the Old English is from JRR Tolkien. While I expect it would be hard to find a copy, I would highly recommend reading this aloud with your boy, letting him read every other page - I recall no "racy" passages.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

If I recall correctly, what I heard was that even Angelina Joile was surprised at just how much of her "cartoon anatomy" they showed. :shock:
Slow is just slow.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

We saw it at the theater, and I was so impressed with it I blocked it completely out of my mind by the next day. I didn't remember I'd seen it until you brought it up...

I would give it a C-

Ed