Eating Roadkill Crow

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Eating Roadkill Crow

Post by Old Ranger »

This is an official retraction for the hasty comments I made this month about the Browning B92.
As most know, I was at my wit's end with this piece. It simply had me stumped as far as getting it to shoot consistantly and such with a multitude of loads. Nothing was working for me. Well, Rangers have a few habits that are hard to break. One is never accepting failure. We just really don't give up and quit unless shot to pieces, and even then....well you get the picture. I wasn't ready to quit on this weapon in spite of how poorly it peformed. And how mad I was at it......

Over the weekend I fire lapped the bore with a series of 12 rounds. Then last night I broke it down and hand lapped it to where I was satisied with the results. This was, in effect, my last attempt to get it right. If the lapping failed to produce results, then the weapon really was a poor one indeed.

This afternoon, in a light rain even, I set up at 50 yds with this weapon and some loads that are tack drivers in my 629. I wish I could get the pic to work here to show the target, but I'm no computer tech whiz! But the results were remarkable! I fired a full mag of 11 rounds into a single ragged hole that measured just over 1.5" centered above the bull! I about fell out of my chair when I looked at the target with the glass. It was like I was shooting another weapon...

Most of my career as a gunsmith was spent with revolvers, a few antique ML's, and in the end, 1911 platform, building weapons primarily for the police trade. After all, I was a cop for decades too. That was normal I suppose huh? Although trained on long guns in my apprenticeship, I had little to do with leverguns later, as they were not a gun that cops used. I was thinking in only "one box" with the Browning...duhhh!!!!! Hand me a box of loose parts and scraps 'o stuff and I'll build you a pistol. Hand me a bunch of longer stuff and I'll still try to build a pistol!

So now I have a Browning that is well capable of producing tight accuracy and with consistency that was not possible before the loud popping sound occurred! That was my head popping from my posterior!! I learned much from this. I'm one heck of a pistolsmith....but a marginal gunsmith with a levergun! I know this now....

So in closing, I'm a happy camper once again. The Browning is shooting like it was ment to, and is no longer looked upon as an evil curse.....Griff, if you won't throw rocks at me, I think I'll keep this one in the rack now :)

Thanks all for letting me eat my roadkill crow here with all watching so to speak. I learned a valuable leason this weekend. That is; to stop thinking like a pistolsmith with a levergun!! :shock: Oh, and please pass the salt. This crow needs a little something to make it go down better! :wink:

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Eating Roadkill Crow

Post by Pitchy »

Glad ya got it shootin Wade, told ya you`d never forgive yourself if ya let it whoop ya. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Is all you did 'lap the bore'...?

If that's the case, maybe I need to do that to a few of my 'bad' guns... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Great news. I hate the taste of crow. :D
Old Law Dawg
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Well that crow went down kinda rough, but watching that Browning go from a big green catipiller into a Monarch butterfly was something to see! What a transformation. :D
I realize I was a real grouch about that weapon, but as stated before, after the loud POP I got my act together and....got outta that "Pistol" box and approached it right. Even this old dog can learn new tricks I suppose :lol: The old master gunsmith that taught me would be beating me over the head with an old rusty barrel if he know how I had acted!! :o
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

As well he should be.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Sounds like you've added to your kit bag of tricks and skills now though eh? Glad it worked out!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

As to the lapping of the bore, I should have got that a lot sooner than I did. In the late 70's Ruger was making a bunch of DA revolvers with various names (service six, speed six, etc.) and there were more than a few that had some roughness in the bore. Officers were complaining that they were leading up fast and shooting poorly. I had lapped several and resolved the issue quickly. Now how that escaped me this time is something I can't explain. But yes, I WILL keep this in mind whenever I encounter another with this issue. You can be sure of that! Sometimes getting old can play havoc with how one approaches problems. I'm more prone to get cranky now a days......oh stuff! I've become like my father!! :lol: :lol:
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

The fire lapping kits that have a succession of bullets pre-charged with abrasives are mighty expensive..'Zat what you used or did you add the abrasive yourself..? ...Since you mentioned subsequent hand lapping the barrel I am guessing that you made your own fire-lapping bullets....?.....
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

COOL ! Good job! :wink:
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sounds like you hit paydirt .... 11 shots into one ragged 1.5" hole at 50 yards ain't too shabby! Glad you were able to get that '92 up and running.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

The fire lapping system I used was soft cast SWC's sized bore dia. Then I used some valve grinding compound smeared on a steel plate. Took another plate and rolled the rounds into the compound 'till well coated. Loaded very light loads and seated the coated bullets. Fired some and cleaned some. Fire more and cleaned again. Later, I hand lapped like I used to with the pistols I worked on. A bore size plug cast around an old brush. This gave me the base to run through the bore with the compound pressed into the cast plug. When done the bore was then cleaned with Montana Extreme Bore Polish and it was done! One VERY smooth and shinny bore.

And yes, getting 11 rounds in the same hole got a stupid grin on my face that is still there! It was like I had a whole different weapon in my hands. I just loaded the mag to the full capacity and shot very slow, very deliberate, and easy...To tell the truth, I was not expecting that good of a performance. I figured it might get a little better, but never expected it to do as well as it did. I was real surprized when I looked at the target with the glass!....But that's what I get for thinking in the box...The 'Pistol" box that is! :lol: The rifiling in this bore is quite different than standard. I was unprepared for that and almost beat me....But we Rangers are a stuborn bunch! So now I have a real shooter here. I guess Griff is gonna want to smack me, but now, I'm going to hang on to this 92 and it can be the buddy for my 629 that shoots so good!

The load I shot was outta the box too, but that's another story I suppose :D

Thanks guys for standing by me here. Means a lot!!

Wade
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thats impressive! Good on ya'.

Got me wondering if thats what my 94 needed!!!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Fantastic results. Good for you
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Sure am glad to hear you got it solved. I sure am happy with all of my 92 rifles,an old Winchester rifle and 2 Rossi carbines.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Old Ranger -- you made my day. very few are willing to admit a wrong. even fewer are willing to try again, especially in the face of failure...you gave us all something to think about...and a ton of encouragement to try one more time. for that i thank you...by the way i really like your colors...and crow-eating might be good for the digestive system (boiled or fried?)... :)
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Well guys, I appreciate the kind words.
1894c; My dad taught me to take responsibility of my my own actions. Be honest, and said: "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. And cover the ground your're standing on." So by being raised as such, You can be assured that I'll be brutally honest (got three ex-wives that will attest to that! :lol: ) and if I make a mistake, I will admit it and never try to pass the buck so to speak....But if I know I'm right....well, you won't be able to shake me loose either...(must be that old Ranger attitude, huh?)

That said, I've put myself on a "re-training" pogram with long guns. In short, I've broke out all the data (books, notes from training, etc) from the years I was 'smithing, and am now concentrating on the rifle business. I was very much involved in handguns for so many years that I had ignored the training on rifles....no more! Who knows, I just might even remember some stuff! :lol:

Thanks again for standing by me while I was fighting this Browning. Pitchy had it right when he said not to let it whoop me....So I whooped back and won! :)

And that crow was broiled and stuffed with fff black powder! I sneezed once and nearly blew my nose off! :lol:

Wade