Model 95 Winchester as a working gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Model 95 Winchester as a working gun?

Post by Canuck Bob »

Lately I've been stricken with a urge that roles around every few years. The siren call for a 95 in 303 Brit. Winchesters were very popular here for many years because Canadians know a good hunting rifle when they see one. I've always considered the 95 303 as a gun targeted at Canada. I also like anything 303.

I've never handled a 95. Setting aside the collector and romantic allure for a second how are they as working rifles?
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Model 95 Winchester as a working gun?

Post by Charles »

There are no flys on the 95 as a working rifle.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I wish someone would give me a 95 in 7.62x54R.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

All this talk about 95`s, you guys are going to force me into trading something off and getting one.
Had a beauty in 30-40 years ago but had to sell it :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Pitchy wrote:All this talk about 95`s, you guys are going to force me into trading something off and getting one.
Had a beauty in 30-40 years ago but had to sell it :roll:
Exactly, I opened my safe and made a hit list of expendables for this idea.

The Ruger No,1 was once an idea but it is in fact a right hand action and I'm a lefty. It is minor but still bugs me. If I was going single shot the High Wall clones would work.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Old Teddy spoke highly of his "Big Medicine" and that's a pretty decent endorsement of the '95.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Wasn't Teddy's 95 in .405 caliber? That notwithstanding, he did use it on lions during a Safari in Africa. I doubt very much that he would have used anything on lions which he didn't trust.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I believe specifically "Big Medicine" was his 405 but I believe he also carried a '95 chambered in 30-03 (predecessor to 30-06).
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yes, they are great working guns and you can load pointy bullets in em.

Of course, you have to be happy with iron sights :)

I have one of the new production repro Lyman aperture sights on my 30 US. I like it a lot. Pacific Tool IIRC.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bosco »

I have one in 9.3X62. So far it does it's work well. Interested to put some different ammunition through it this upcoming year.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

That would be a great choice for sure. The 303 is a great round. Good luck with that
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

piller wrote:Wasn't Teddy's 95 in .405 caliber? That notwithstanding, he did use it on lions during a Safari in Africa. I doubt very much that he would have used anything on lions which he didn't trust.
Not to mention he carried one in Cuba during the Span-Am war, in addition to buying one for every company commander in his regiment. I think they're spectacular rifles, and yes a 95 in 303 has Canada written all over it!
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I think they're great rifles. I've had a couple of the Brownings in '06 cal. The only thing I didnt care for was the magazine sticks out right at the balance point to carry it naturally. a bolt gun is easier to carry in hand.

A '95 can be scoped with a forward mount or a side mount. A good receiver sight is probably about as simple as needed unless one needs glass.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
cpt Dan Blodgett
Levergunner

Post by cpt Dan Blodgett »

I bought a browning 06 in 87 as a getting out of the Army present to myself. Like the rifle but have never figured out a load it likes. Shoots 5 - 6 inches at 100 yards. Dads old 32 special with iron sights shoots about the same size group at 200 yards with reloads or leverevolution factory.

Any of you have a browning 95 06 and a load the rifle likes?
SASS #75655
"Follow Me"
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

For years, the prize largest elk rack (mounted in a cape as an afterthought) hung in a friend's motel in Crested Butte, Colorado - taken with a Winchester 95 in 30-40 Krag - an old "slabsides yet. Was shot on Kebler Pass.

I have to settle for this one given to me by my wife for our 25th anniversary some seven years ago - in 30-06 -

OK - so I admit I did "help" her find it - husbands should help their wives all they can - besides, the more anniversaries that pass, the tougher it is to think up something new. It was "NIB, unfired, with manual" - probably part of an estate and value not recognized by owner -

It shoots even better than it looks, too. I zeroed my sights -Williams FP71 (required D/T much to my gunsmith's distress) + XS white stripe blade front - to point of aim at 25 yards - then "fine tuned" it to hit 2" above point of aim at 100 yards - all done from fist rest on range table. I don't do "bench rest" shooting and my aging knees and some heart problems have largely put most of my hunting in the past. Doesn't stop me from shooting at the range every week - my Colt Government Model 45s and rotating rifles - mostly lever guns + M1A.

All that was done on less than one box of 20 rounds.

Besides being able to use "pointy" bullets, with the box magazine instead of a tube, the balance for carrying as well as for shooting just feels so natural. I'm as attached to mine as TR was
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tried to like them but the carry thing got in the way of that. Those who use them - how do you like to carry them?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have one of the older Browning 95's in 30-06, I added a Williams receiver sight and a nice recoil pad. I like it a lot. I wouldn't mind having an original carbine in 30/40 Kraig (30 Goverment)
NRA Life Member, Patron
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Been wanting one in 30-06 or .405 for years, just haven't forced myself to get one yet. :D

Byron
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Savage wrote:Tried to like them but the carry thing got in the way of that. Those who use them - how do you like to carry them?
I carried mine one season. Just grabbed it just forward of the magazine. No, it isn't as comfortable to carry as say a Savage 99 but it is tolerable and much nicer to me than a modern bolt action...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Hobie wrote:
Old Savage wrote:Tried to like them but the carry thing got in the way of that. Those who use them - how do you like to carry them?
I carried mine one season. Just grabbed it just forward of the magazine. No, it isn't as comfortable to carry as say a Savage 99 but it is tolerable and much nicer to me than a modern bolt action...
+1 -

Such things are relative, I guess - and I carry mine with a full magazine - holding it at the front half of the box magazine - where it balances nicely - I guess I'm comparing it with my 26" long barrel Winchester 94 - or, the 20" carbine.

My M1A has a sling but, I'm reluctant to put a sling on my lever guns.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have a sling on 1895SS and it works very well. I find bolts very easy to carry - must just be a difference of personal taste there. I find my BLR a bit awkward to carry also - to each his own.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

1894c

Post by 1894c »

OJ wrote:
I have to settle for this one given to me by my wife
sure glad you had to "settle" for the '95... :)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

sore shoulder wrote:I wish someone would give me a 95 in 7.62x54R.
Me too... me first. That's a great "working gun" caliber - mainly 'cause the ammo's so cheap.

Heck, I'd even buy it (assuming I had the money).

How about you and me catch a flight to Moscow and see if we can get 'ol Vlad P. to release us a few from the warehouse where they're stashed?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

cpt Dan Blodgett wrote:I bought a browning 06 in 87 as a getting out of the Army present to myself. Like the rifle but have never figured out a load it likes. Shoots 5 - 6 inches at 100 yards. Dads old 32 special with iron sights shoots about the same size group at 200 yards with reloads or leverevolution factory.

Winchester 150gr PowerPoint store bought, 1.5' 4 SHOT GROUPS WITH lyman repo sight at 100yds in my Browning95
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Savage wrote:I have a sling on 1895SS and it works very well. I find bolts very easy to carry - must just be a difference of personal taste there. I find my BLR a bit awkward to carry also - to each his own.
I said it was "nicer" to carry, not easier. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

big bear wrote:
cpt Dan Blodgett wrote:I bought a browning 06 in 87 as a getting out of the Army present to myself. Like the rifle but have never figured out a load it likes. Shoots 5 - 6 inches at 100 yards. Dads old 32 special with iron sights shoots about the same size group at 200 yards with reloads or leverevolution factory.

Winchester 150gr PowerPoint store bought, 1.5' 4 SHOT GROUPS WITH lyman repo sight at 100yds in my Browning95

Mine is fond of 150gr barnes TSX aand H4895
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mine in 405.....Big Medicine on both ends :)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

55 gr. of H4350 behind a 180 Rem RN shoots excellent in my Browning 06.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

One thing a first-timer will notice right off the bat, the first time they work the action, is how slick and smooth as silk it levers another round in. I have an original 38-72 and the barrel is two inches longer than standard, which helps shift the carry point forward a bit to just forward of the magazine. I enjoy shooting it, but have not yet brought home some meat with it. I hope to change that in the next year or two. Here's a shot of the old '95 you've all seen before .....

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks Kirk,

The only fly in the ointment for me is the hand carry with a 95. I so admire the handling of the traditional levers with tube mags or the Savage rotary. Actually there is two flies, no money right now!

Your report is encouraging. My little Winoku 92 with the long barrel is too forward balanced for me. Due to the little bore of the 32 barrel and long octagon it is quite forward neavy. It balances up at the rear sight.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

gotta say I really like my 30-06 carbine!

barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

My winchester95 src reissue in 30/06 great little gun
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

barbarossa wrote:Image

My winchester95 src reissue in 30/06 great little gun
See, those carbines look really handy. And if I could get one in 54R... :happy dance:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!