Chrony results for Rossi/Hornady ammo and more.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Chrony results for Rossi/Hornady ammo and more.

Post by flightsimmer »

Well I finally got around to testing some ammo and here are some of the results.

First off I tested some Hornady, 140gn. FTX Leverevolution ammo from my 20" Rossi, model 92' lever action carbine and oddly enough the first shot only Chronied at 1129 fps and it felt more like a 38 spl. but the rest of the string clocked at 1979 fps and had a lot more authority to them.
Hornady claims 1850 fps from an 18" barrel so that seems to be close. I think they use a slower burning rifle powder because their intended for longer barrels, not necessarily short barreled handguns.

Then I tried their 158gn. FTX, JHP handgun ammo and got 1750 fps from the Rossi, not bad at all. I didn't try it in my 4" revolver though, I forgot. But you can find those results on the net I'm sure.

Next I tried one of my .357 handloads consisting of 162gn. cast lead SWC-GC (Lyman # 358156) with 7.5 gns. of Unique and an OAL of 1.590" and it clocked at 1445 fps out of the Rossi, not bad for a mid range load. I couldn't test any of the loads for accuacy in my small garage.

While I was at it I tried some Win WB 125gn. 38spl.+P, SJHP ammo and got 1408 fps from the Rossi.

I've come to really like this Rossi and it has become my go-to gun along with my S&W model 66-1, 4 inch revolver.

Cheers.
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Chrony results for Rossi/Hornady ammo and more.

Post by Shasta »

Thanks for the report. I don't shoot jacketed bullets, just cast lead. Your cast load sounds like a good one.

I found it interesting that your first shot registered a low velocity on your chronograph. By any chance is your chronograph a Pact model? I have a Pact that frequently will give a low read on the first shot, so I just delete that shot from the averages. I got an Ohler 35P chronograph a few months ago and it has no such aggravating tendency. Works right every time!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I need to get a chronograph. Odd, that first round. That seems pretty snappy performance.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

My chronograph is a Chrony, Beta (painted blue) and printer that I special ordered through Walmart and has been doing a fine job and is automatic, just turn it on and shoot. You do need to make notes on a notepad of the kind of ammo you are testing then I just staple the printout to the note.

No, that first shot was a dud, QC. I'd rather have that than a double though.
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

I have been trying the same bullets in the 357 variety in my Rossi as well. Up to a few days ago I wasn't really impressed. Then I shot some more samples loaded over 17.5g of H-110. The first three rounds averaged 1820 fps and all three in the same hole at 50 meters. I then shot some similar loads using 125g jacketed soft points that chronyed near 2100 fps, but not as accurate. Several minutes later I went back to the 140 g Hornady Lever Gun rounds and the same target as earlier. They weren't as good as the first three but were very close. Only 1.5" apart and slightly low and left from the first three. Maybe I have found a good load for the Rossi at last!

Walt