Did I screw up ?? Reloading question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Did I screw up ?? Reloading question

Post by madman4570 »

Guys,

I gave away my 2 loading presses to daughters boy friend all this year.(only have shotgun press right now)
He is BIG TIME into shooting and the last 3 years I don't shoot the rounds I used to.(plus have pretty big surplus of needed rifle ammo)

Well, now with the .40S&W issue going on.Got me rethinking.
Decided to get something focused on reloading the .40S&W(gearing up)
I decided to give the Lee Pro Progressive 1000 a try(in .40S&W)
Only issue I noticed is they are sometimes finicky with the primer station.(I see Mfg says don't use Federal primers)
Also I see the primer pin needs to be kept clean etc.

Bottom line----what are the things I need to know about this unit.
One thing in my favor is my one brother can absolutely fix/design anything(electrical or mechanical)so I will have him check this press out.(since I bought him a Sub2K in .40S&W)he is kinda involved now(but don't know it yet)

I did buy a bunch a Berry's Bullets (going on thats what Steve seems to like on here)and they are very reasonable.

So=============did I screw up???????????

Also---you guys that shoot the .40S&W(what is your favorite loading for 165gr FMJ FP's)??? or favorite load period?
Hoping to get something around 1100fps out of a 4.5" barrel and 1300fps out of a 16" barrel ??(165gr)
If not---not going to cry about it---FMJ will still penetrate as needed.
I know some will say not best for HD---but I think a .40 already makes a big hole and I want stuff that penetrates (none of this premature stuff and besides we have a lot of bears and if ever needed I will head shoot em.
Also buying a ton of new Winchester 165gr FMJ ammo-----------(will have plenty of cases also after use)
And even though I got that ammo for $24.99@box(per 100) still figure can reload cheaper when need be.
I also have a few KelTec P40 handguns that will be up here soon when CCW is complete.(They work great for me)

Thanks in advance.
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Did I screw up ?? Reloading question

Post by Newtmaker »

Give it some time. Every piece of equipment has its "learning curve", but once you get things running smoothly you will wonder why you didn't do this 20 years ago!!

Walt
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

You could looking at this from a variety of angles; one being, that giving away two presses, then buying a replacement; yes, that could be construed as "screwing up". On the other hand, you saved a young person untold dollars and provided him with a hobby that will mean something (or not), to his relationship with you, (as in hoping he'd volunteer to reload all your ammo needs), or your daughter (trying to keep them apart... were ya?). In the hopes he'd reload your ammo, the fact that you then felt compelled to buy another press, then the prima facia evidence suggests you screwed-up. But, on balance you did gain the capability to increase your prodouction rate... and should the good-for-nothing rake welch out on the daughter... you should be in good shape to make things right, as in taking back your other presses! :twisted: In which case that might be considered as foresight and planning for the future! :P :lol:

No actual analysts were consulted or harmed in the development of this response!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Dude :lol:
You know what? You are a pretty darn bright cookie. :mrgreen:

Some good stuff Griff.

Here is the thing, This young guy/daughter have been in a serious relationship for several years.
He treats her like absolute gold,he works hard/great job/got his College degree/ extremely respectful to daughter/us/anyone else.
He don't do dope/drinks very little and is just your good kid.

At this point in my life, why not share some of my stuff with him. He just loves guns/shooting/hunting(his passion)but never reloaded.
So I thought,If I am going to get him started(might as well do him up)

Actually the one press is only a RCBS Rockchucker(though a great press)and the other is a Dillon(a good one)

This Lee will be my (first)fully progressive rifle/handgun press unit.
It's going to be a totally different deal for me.

The way I view it is if they do break up all the guns/ammo/reloading stuff I gave him(is his)(gifts) I still will honor that.
Really no big deal-----------can always buy more stuff.
He makes my daughter so happy--------------so he makes me so happy
It's good to see your kid/kids (happy) so,we are lucky.

ps----I kinda laid it on the line back a ways (scared him a little)about her not getting hitched (or having to get hitched :evil:) until she finishes her Master's Degree (Science)
Told her---------------I want her to be able to stand on her own,if ever things went bad! Self supporting.
Besides she would have no problem getting a fellow-----(she is a real looker)

The did I screw up question------meaning, is that press I just bought(sh##) I know I should have researched it more,not like me(I usually do buying stuff)but I just (had to buy something yesterday) :lol: Maybe middle age crisis is setting in???? (it actually was priced very reasonable)that is what has me worried. :lol:
Hey, could have been worse, could have went out and bought a GT Mustang instead??????? :lol:

Later bro!

If it is stuff---will have my bro redesign it! :wink:
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Your mission, Madman4570, should you choose to accept it, is keep us all posted on your progress with this progressive press (say that three times fast)..and keep us all from "screwing up". Sounds like maybe I'll need one myself... I'll wait for your glowing reports.. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ah... you know... just had to throw that in there. :D :D :D And while I might not think much of the Lee 1000, I have heard good things from those who use one. It's tough to really know without having used it... and the number of folks who actually switch between brands are fairly small. While I may have a smattering of Lee stuff in with the majority of my reloading tools... There really isn't any duplication, ie, Lee Progressive press and a Dillon or RCBS, etc. Therefore, a more probable, unbiased opinion is hard to come by. I mean, really, who wants to say... publically at any rate, "...I just bought a Dillon/Lee/Lyman/RCBS (use whatever brand you use) and it was a waste of my money." Hence, what you get is most generally heated, vehement defense of the brand one owns. Myself included... even tho' I do try to be as objective as I can.

If you had a Dillon before, just as I do from time to time... then you know the primer feed mechanism gets out of adjustment and you get primers flippin' around and jumpin' completely off the press! Takes a patient fellow to get it adjust "...just right..." so you can run as fast as you're capable. I doubt the Lee is immune from such.

Good luck with it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

You may want to consider the Lee Classic Turret instead of the Lee Pro. A bit slower, but MUCH MUCH MORE reliable. There's videos of it on Youtube if you want to take a look.
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

Did I miss something what is the issue with .40 S&W ?
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I'm one of those oddballs Griff was referring to who uses
several different brands of presses. Bonanza (now Forster),
Lyman, Lee, and Dillon.

I have the Dillon Square Deal, and a Lee Pro 1000. In no particular
order, here's how the two progressive stack up:

The powder measure on the Lee is the best one I've ever used, bar
none. It's very, very consistent. I use the disc setup vs. the continuously
variable attachment, and it works GREAT! The press uses standard dies, and
crimps in a separate operation. That's also consistent and easy to
adjust. There's an accessory case feeder that's dirt-simple and works
very well. The primer system can be a PITA. It works well with the
following quirks. The primer chute must be kept CLEAN. It works best
with only half a tray of primers or so. It has a built-in "shaker" to keep
primers flowing freely, but benefits from the occasional flick of one's
finger. It loads great ammunition.

The Dillon works well, but the powder measure is more finicky than the Lee,
and the whole setup is not QUITE as consitent as the Lee. OAL can vary a wee bit,
as can powder charges. The OAL variation is typically a few thousandths, and the
charges can vary a tenth of a grain or two. The Square Deal, and ONLY the Square
Deal in the Dillon line, takes proprietary dies. It also loads great ammo.

So? Ya pays your money and takes your chances.

-Stretch
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

He'll really need to LEARN on the Rockchucker, and when he moves to the Dillon, you'd better be there to help out in the setup.

The Dillon RL-550 can be snugged up with a shellplate modification (kits sold for it), and an adjustable (micrometer) style powder-bar kit that fits ANY of the Dillon presses helps greatly in adjustment and setup.

Micrometer Powder Bar kit - http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1231

Shellplate kit - http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1230

I totally agree about the Lee powder measure (Disk-Pro I think it's called - anyway it's the better of their two 'disk' units) - it is incredibly easy to use, and easy to get reproducible settings on. Get the two-disk model, and if you want, the micrometer micro-adjust bar, though I've not needed the micrometer feature yet for .44 Mag and .357 Mag.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Thanks Stretch!
Will keep that info in mind!

Sent my brother the link what I bought and he seemed not to excited. His opinion is (IT AINT RUGGED ENOUGH/AND PROBABLY NOT THAT ACCURATE) :?:

But,then again EVERYTHING he gets has to be THE BEST and sometimes OVERKILL.(like the difference,my chain saw(Stihl pro 260) his a Stihl MS 660 :lol: (nough said) and I am the one with all the woods :lol:

Sometimes I like stuff that is priced very good and does the job.

I mean I can just put a return label on it/take it to UPS send it back and only lose shipping charges.

But,holy cow I thought for $175 and getting the Carbide die set included seems like its a good deal??
At least seeing how it works on youtube sure looks pretty decent.

Guys---should I open box up and use it/spend some more bucks and send er back as soon as I get it???

ya know,this will be about one of the only things I bought that I ever had to send back.
Usually not my style!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

madman4570 wrote:Sent my brother the link what I bought and he seemed not to excited. His opinion is (IT AINT RUGGED ENOUGH/AND PROBABLY NOT THAT ACCURATE) :?:
If you plan on using it for a demolition tool to knock doors off their hinges, it won't hold up, but for the first 100,000 rounds or so of reloading, I'll bet it will do just fine... :D As I said above, their Pro-Disk powder measure it by far my favorite - I'd use it on my Dillon RL-550 if I could, and I DO use it when I use the Rockchucker (it stays in my Lee 4-hole turret press and I just do the case-charging on that press).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AJMD429 wrote:
madman4570 wrote:Sent my brother the link what I bought and he seemed not to excited. His opinion is (IT AINT RUGGED ENOUGH/AND PROBABLY NOT THAT ACCURATE) :?:
If you plan on using it for a demolition tool to knock doors off their hinges, it won't hold up, but for the first 100,000 rounds or so of reloading, I'll bet it will do just fine... :D As I said above, their Pro-Disk powder measure it by far my favorite - I'd use it on my Dillon RL-550 if I could, and I DO use it when I use the Rockchucker (it stays in my Lee 4-hole turret press and I just do the case-charging on that press).

Thought a lot about it Doc, I think I am sending that Pro 1000 back(should have it next couple days)
I think I am going to just get the (50th Anniversary Breech Lock Challenger Kit) $109 Midway
Really, being retired now(I got the time to go slow)and honestly like the idea of doing quality control on each piece.
Everything I have read/seen on Youtube show that outfit plenty tough.
I gave (everything)to Daughter's boyfriend I had.He is already using both outfits and his reloading room looks like what some of you guys have on here. :mrgreen:
Myself, I am fine with just a good solid single press and some good new extras.I will get the Lee 4 Die Carbide Set to start with in .40S&W and we will go from there,even need new calipers/bullet puller/reloading book etc. :roll: :lol:
I just want to have plenty of extra components/powder and capability of loading up .223 and .40S&W if commercial ammo avalability goes south.(but got plenty I think now)
Think that will do me fine. If I had to could always run to his house and load up some too,but normally that aint me.Like to stand on my own.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

madman4570 wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:

Thought a lot about it Doc, I think I am sending that Pro 1000 back(should have it next couple days)
I think I am going to just get the (50th Anniversary Breech Lock Challenger Kit) $109 Midway
Really, being retired now(I got the time to go slow)and honestly like the idea of doing quality control on each piece.
Everything I have read/seen on Youtube show that outfit plenty tough.
I gave (everything)to Daughter's boyfriend I had.He is already using both outfits and his reloading room looks like what some of you guys have on here. :mrgreen:
Myself, I am fine with just a good solid single press and some good new extras.I will get the Lee 4 Die Carbide Set to start with in .40S&W and we will go from there,even need new calipers/bullet puller/reloading book etc. :roll: :lol:
I just want to have plenty of extra components/powder and capability of loading up .223 and .40S&W if commercial ammo avalability goes south.(but got plenty I think now)
Think that will do me fine. If I had to could always run to his house and load up some too,but normally that aint me.Like to stand on my own.
Picked up the Pro 1000 (checking it out)-----like it, change of plans(back where we were)---(keeping it) seems very well built(not much too it)

Hey, the bullets came too------But Berry"s Bullet Company(using "if it fits/it ships)boxes they saved $48 each on shipping.(USPS rate) :lol:
Lady at the counter about fell over when she put em on the scales! :shock:

Anyhow----------------I am setting that baby up(pronto)
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Well, :lol:

Thought a lot about it.(talked to by buddies at the range)they talked me back into a single stage press.
Sent the other back today.(UPS)
Don't need nothing fancy.

So-----------Bought this morning----
Lee 50th Anniversary Lock Breech Challenger Kit
Lee Carbide die set 40S&W and Lee .223 Rem Die set
Lee Universal Shell Holder Kit
Lee Case length gauges .40S&W and .223 Rem
Lee Req sized case cutter/handle
Extra Lee Breech Lock Quick Change Bushing(will have 4 of them)

and bought the 2.5" Gerber drop point knife(todays special :lol: )was $20($9.99)

Grand total $240

So it ran me $40 more dollars that the Pro 1000 stuff did.(plus got a knife :shock: )

Should have keep all my old reloading stuff(2 presses) but now we both have a setup(just he has couple better ones)which both used to be mine :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:He'll really need to LEARN on the Rockchucker, and when he moves to the Dillon, you'd better be there to help out in the setup.
That ain't totally so Joe !

I learned to load shotgun shells on a Ponsness Warren 800B and 800B's or 800C's were pretty much all I used when I shot skeet and trap all the time . I never felt I missed anything by not starting with a MEC 600JR .

As to metallic loading I started with a Ponsness Warren Metallic II and a Lee 1000 for 38 Special . I never owned a press anywhere similar to a RockChucker until I started loading for the 505 Gibbs and bought a LARGE CH-4D press that is similar to a RockChucker .

My PW Metallis II is a good bit different from the RockChucker and to be honest I think it actually does a better job then the RCBA unit .

If person is knowledgable and pays attention to detail they can start with a progressive shotgun or metallic loader no problem . In my own case I always new if I bought shall we say a beginners whatever I would eventually want the cadillac of the same thing . So instead of "wasting" money on a learner I bought what I assumed I would finally want and never had to change .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

madman4570 wrote:Bought this morning----
2.5" Gerber drop point knife(todays special :lol: )was $20($9.99)
Correct me if I'm wrong but you purchased the Gerber to pry the cases outta the gun if they got stuck right :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I gave up on the Lee Pro 1000, as have several friends of mine. Lee makes some decent stuff, the Pro 1000 is not one one of them. I even called and talked to Lee jr who gave me nothing but the company line. There is a reason there used to be so many of those in their factory refurbished sale page, it's a quirky unreliable machine that has no provision for stoppages leading to powder all over the place and things all jacked up in the assembly line. Mine is collecting dust for now until I put it up on eBay or Craigslist.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

6pt-sika wrote:
madman4570 wrote:Bought this morning----
2.5" Gerber drop point knife(todays special :lol: )was $20($9.99)
Correct me if I'm wrong but you purchased the Gerber to pry the cases outta the gun if they got stuck right :lol:

Oh ya! :lol: :wink:
And if they don't go bang--------------I got my knife for protection! :D
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I think COSteve must be on "walkabout" in some remote corner of the globe with his wife, or he would have chimed in (wish i was retired too :lol: )
but i would think the only way he would say you "screwed up" was by buying red equipment and not blue :lol:

As for me ---i think you took the next logical step in the right direction. You have a handful of those .40 caliber carbines and likely a few pistols too , and they need to be fed. You just need to decide what to do with the time you will be saving now

The Mustang GT idea sounded pretty good too though
----- Doug