I've grown to despise my Browning B92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Re: I've grown to despise my Browning B92

Post by JFE »

Most of my 44 moulds are not that large in diameter, so not surprisingly accuracy was not real good. I have a 245 gr RCBS SWC 44 mould that casts around 0.431 and as an experiment I loaded up some that would cycle through the action and some that were touching the rifling (and had to be single loaded). The ones that were single loaded, even though still smaller in diameter than desirable, were markedly more accurate - though still not as accurate as the heavier bullets that were 0.434 diameter. This to me highlighted the alignment issue I referred to earlier.

FWIW I also fire those large diameter bullets (.434) in a revolver and they work well and in fact are very accurate from that revolver - so they may fit other firearms.

If I were going to re-barrel and I have thought about a 45 LC conversion, I would not only go for a tighter bore, fast twist and cut rifling, but I would also have the chamber cut with a more cast friendly shorter throat. As far as I can tell, most rifles chambered for pistol cartridges have throats that mimic cylinder throats in revolvers and are too long to be ideal. I know a lot work out fine, but for cast bullets a short, tight fitting throat generally works best.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JFE wrote:If I were going to re-barrel and I have thought about a 45 LC conversion, I would not only go for a tighter bore, fast twist and cut rifling, but I would also have the chamber cut with a more cast friendly shorter throat. As far as I can tell, most rifles chambered for pistol cartridges have throats that mimic cylinder throats in revolvers and are too long to be ideal. I know a lot work out fine, but for cast bullets a short, tight fitting throat generally works best.
yep, that's my thought also. It appears as tho' a Browning relacement barrel is only available as a barreled receiver, which means I'd be left with a spare receiver, and one made for the tang safety too boot! So it's either re-bore the existing or have a blank finished up. Hmmm... maybe the first to do a '92 conversion to Cowboy45Special! Oh! to be a "Charley" or "Alphawolf"! :mrgreen:

More research is needed! Almost the best part of ANY project!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

That's one way to sort out the accuracy problems !

Given that so many complain about the accuracy I've often wondered how much interest there might be in a group buy for properly spec-ed up pre-fit replacement barrels. Even though I seem to have cracked the code, I'd still put my hand up for one in 44 mag and another in 45LC.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Would having the barrel set back a turn or two and then reamed for a better chamber/throat be an option?

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

I like your thinking but you'd have work to do getting the parts that attach to the barrel to fit again.
Plus you still have the oversize, shallow groove barrel.