Intentionally bought a REM-Marlin 336BL - plus Range Report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Intentionally bought a REM-Marlin 336BL - plus Range Report

Post by 1894c »

Well, been looking at this Marlin for awhile, haven't had a 30/30 for a long time. Haven't owned a Marlin 336 since the late 70's (first deer rifle), so I decided to take a RISK and buy a brand new Marlin 336BL produced in NYS by Remington. I know many think that this is a bad idea, but the 336BL is the only Marlin that interests me at this point.

Picked up the 336BL levergun today, fit and finish looks good, screws aren't buggered up, wood and metal fit is very good, action is ok (seen better, but not bad), the laminate stocks makes the gun somewhat heavier, but not bad (recoil should be nothing), please see my lousy phone pics. I like the 18" barrel length and the full mag tube. I will be taking it out shooting tomorrow so we'll see... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Re: Intentionally bought a REM-Marlin 336BL ...

Post by rossim92 »

walmart was selling them for a little over $300.00. a while ago. almost bought it before I bought the henry .22 from them. Let us know how yours goes, I still might get one from them.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Looking forward to the range report.
Old Law Dawg
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Looks good, looking forward to seeing how it shoots :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think I'd like the slightly oversize lever - more friendly to the knuckles...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I like the basic concept of the short handy lever gun. But the lever and that obese wood turns me away.

By all means give us a real good report of the shake down trip to the range. If the inside is as good as the outside looks maybe there's hope for Marlin yet.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks like a nice one. 8)
Hope it shoots good for ya. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I kind of like that. Lever loop would be good in winter; large but not as large as the Rossi 92 loops. I do like the barrel length.

I'm still trying to warm up to laminated stocks but that looks good. I am assuming that the stock color is closer to the stock photo than your cell phone pics.

If I would find one locally for "a little over" $300, I would have to get it.
1894c

RANGE REPORT-- REM-Marlin 336BL ...

Post by 1894c »

RANGE REPORT: Took the 336BL to the "gravel pit" to shoot soda cans and clay pigeons. My buddy and I set up our table and awning at 75 yards (it was raining hard, but no wind, about 40 degrees, still snow in the hills). I took along 2 boxes of Federal's basic 30/30 with 170 grain bullet. Now I do not have pics of broken clays or flying cans, but this rifle can shoot. The action started smoothing out, had no issues in loading, racking a shell into the chamber, or ejecting--the gun at this juncture worked (will be going back next week to shoot another 40).

I wasn't a big fan of the laminated stock at first, but the stocks kind-of grow on you, and really had my doubts about the bigger loop, but the big lever proved serviceable, actually during shooting I forgot that the lever was bigger than normal--so I'll keep it.

I'm keeping this REM-Marlin, this is my second one (1894c), so far so good--now will they still have issues, I hope not, would I tell you to look one over carefully before you buy--you bet. That's what I've done with the two I own. I also have noticed that the Marlins I presently see are being sold at a more reasonable price--me thinks they are trying to re-gain our confidence--I hope so... :)

PS-- if anyone is wondering WHY I would intentionally buy two REM-Marlins it's simple--I want to see this line of leveguns continue in the USA and not be produced out-of-country, I do not want to see this American Brand go the way of Winchester--plus this is the only 30/30 that really interested me, really like what Marlin did (18" bbl., pistol grip, fewer barrel-bands, ease of maintenance and take-down).
Last edited by 1894c on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: Intentionally bought a REM-Marlin 336BL - plus Range Report

Post by Dave »

Glad to hear that gun is working and shooting well. I too would hate to see Marlin go the way of the do do bird.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

(well owned a Win.94AE in January, but sold it to a friend the same week I bought it).
FYI, not something you want to admit to on a forum searchable by BATmen... Technically that became a "straw purchase" if you did a 4473 when you bought it...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Old Ironsights wrote:
(well owned a Win.94AE in January, but sold it to a friend the same week I bought it).
FYI, not something you want to admit to on a forum searchable by BATmen... Technically that became a "straw purchase" if you did a 4473 when you bought it...
no problem--my friend is the owner of my LGS--he always wanted a Win.94AE... but thank you for the reminder... :)