We grow them big around Lake Whitney Texas!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

We grow them big around Lake Whitney Texas!

Post by rangerider7 »

The first photo was taken a few days ago. The second were some I killed last year when I stepped on the tire under our target board. :shock: I killed the bigger one then went back to check on the size. I took a barbecue fork to pull it out. To my surprise it was alive. There were two. I had stuck the live smaller one. It didn't take me long to examine it though, that's for sure. I dropped it like a hot potato. :lol:

"That'll Be The Day"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: We grow them big around Lake Whitney Texas!

Post by Pitchy »

eeeeeek :shock:
No no no no no ,don`t want no part of that.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

If I lived there I would buy a Taurus judge .45/.410. I don't like snakes,spiders, and ground hornets. :o :o :o
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

That first one's gotta be a trick photo, right?! Good grief, the largest I've ever seen :o :o :o.
I usually carry .38 or .44 snakeshot around here (central Az) which do a creditable job, but that looks like 16 or 12 gauge country!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Dang thats a big one!...

Biggest one I have seen here in Florida 5'-6" long....right next to the back door
of my neighbors house.....
I killed a 24" coral snake the other day that was trying to enter the house!
and my neighbor to the north killed one the same day....in his garage..
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

5' rattler is big in TX, and of course big around as a motorcycle tire is the proverbial benchmark.

And motorcycle tires are getting bigger...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Those are some big snakes. I am not sure I would want to be that close without a 20 gauge in hand.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

No doubt that is a huge snake.
However a LOT of it is how a pic is taken.
Reason a say this was few years back I caught a King Salmon in Pulaski NY(Salmon River)which was a big fish(43inch 35.8lbs)
but the way the photo was taken(myself holding it a tad out in front of myself made it look like it was a big as me :lol: and (I am 6'4")

They put it in my towns newspaper(front page)buddy submitted it :roll: The editor left out the size. Just read (Local Man Lands Monster)and said who I was and where I caught it.
I got calls from people for 4 months about that darn fish?????

Is a big snake though(fat bugger)
turnkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by turnkey »

Hmmmm, let's get out the cast-iron skillet, butter, and garlic and see how he tastes.
"Every day a holiday, every meal a feast, every paycheck a treasure."
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

It's certainly a big snake, but the perspective of the picture makes it look bigger (that pole is probably LONG and the snake is much closer to the camera than the Game & Fish man, but you don't pick up on it in the pic). Still, think about the strike radius of a rattler that big! Daggum things are DANGEROUS. I stopped taking the trash out after dark after hearing rattling coming from somewhere in the general direction I was headed towards our bin one night. Froze me in my tracks with ice in my veins when I realized there were moon shadows on both sides of me that I could be struck from. :shock: And me in shorts and flip flops out beside the house... Brilliant! :lol:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

RIHMFIRE wrote:Dang thats a big one!...

Biggest one I have seen here in Florida 5'-6" long....right next to the back door
of my neighbors house.....
I killed a 24" coral snake the other day that was trying to enter the house!
and my neighbor to the north killed one the same day....in his garage..
Holy Stuff......I thought they were small little bugga.....I hope they are as timid as experts say.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Good reason for wearing Cowboy Boots instead of sneakers!!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Makes the one that almost got me look puny. Funny how it didn't look so small at the time.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I am not a snake killer but I am not fond of vipers. My oldest doesn't cut rattlers any slack.

This copperhead almost climbed into my buddy's lap on a turkey hunt. That will wake you right up on a groggy morning.

CalvinMD
Levergunner 1.0

Post by CalvinMD »

Them rattlers are tastey when prepared right :D anybody ever cooked a copperhead?
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I'm told snake tastes a bit like chicken, I haven't tried it YET
Looks like some of those Texas ones would make a Sunday roast for the whole family

That copperhead would make one fine looking belt
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

CalvinMD wrote:Them rattlers are tastey when prepared right :D anybody ever cooked a copperhead?
You have got to be kidding. I tried rattler once. That was enough. It sure don't taste like no chicken I ever ate. I guess "IF" I were really, really, really hungry. But, that would be after exterminating every insect in a twenty square mile area.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
1894c

Post by 1894c »

yikes...take a defensive position...call for back-up...air-strike?
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I hate snakes. I wonder how the old cowboys survived sleeping outside on the trail, in Texas espacally. I know one thing, that old trick of laying your rope around you bed at night, might not work, but sure can't hurt. I have hunted in Texas a little, but I must admit, I would be a little uneasy sleeping out under the stars down there.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

It is threads like this that make me admire our winter. -40 keeps the termites, snakes, and cockroaches away. My skin crawls looking at those things.

Dave's pic made me smile, your girl looks handy with that revolver!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Lastmohecken wrote:I hate snakes. I wonder how the old cowboys survived sleeping outside on the trail, in Texas espacally. I know one thing, that old trick of laying your rope around you bed at night, might not work, but sure can't hurt. I have hunted in Texas a little, but I must admit, I would be a little uneasy sleeping out under the stars down there.
There was one particular Rifleman episode that would just make your skin crawl--uh maybe bad phrase?--where at a campsite Lucas lies frozen in absolute fear with a rattler under his blanket. One of the (I would imagine) more realistic portrayals of what that must be like. The entire episode focused on how to extricate the unwanted bed mate without someone--especially him--getting bit. Brrr. :( :(

We found a big diamondback in in our desert house coming home from a weekend trip--my 5'2/110 mother walked right by it twice in the dark before it sounded off. Made us wonder (shudder) how long it'd been there. Playing Pin-the-Rattler against the wall with an eight foot post--followed up with a dose of vacuum cleaner pipe--took care of the threat, but not before a lot of adrenaline flow!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

That was a rough old horsehair rope the old cowboys put around them when they slept. The new nylon ones wouldn't stop a worm. :lol:
"That'll Be The Day"
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Gonna look for some of thatold horsehair rope! I don't feel all that comfortable sleeping out in the open under the stars below 7000 ft or so (but still do, one eye open :) ). We've got timber rattlers in Az but they're not plentiful at least where I've tromped.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

GAK, Looks like a 10 ga. one to me!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dang! Those pics gave me the "heebie jeebies".

Funny thing about snakes--most guys are afraid of 'em. I know I am---spiders too. I noticed black guys are especially afraid of them, even little ones that are friendly. One buddy at work who is a bad black dude who ain't afraid of nothin' will jump 6 feet in the air at the sight of a 2' garter snake. ---------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Sixgun wrote:Dang! Those pics gave me the "heebie jeebies".

Funny thing about snakes--most guys are afraid of 'em. I know I am---spiders too. I noticed black guys are especially afraid of them, even little ones that are friendly. One buddy at work who is a bad black dude who ain't afraid of nothin' will jump 6 feet in the air at the sight of a 2' garter snake. ---------Sixgun
Those are HUGE snakes......and a 2 foot coral snake, no thanks.

Snakes never freaked me out, but Black Widows give me the creeps. You'll never get me to crawl under a house or dig through a wood pile, with bare hands. I came across a big "girl" that was wrapping up and eating a 2-3" lizard when we lived in the Sierra's.....that freaked me out for good.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I usually let copperheads alone. Once you are aware of each other, the last thing they want is to be around you, and they are not aggressive. This one place I night-fished for cats, on a bunch of rocks, was copperhead heaven, and they crawled all around me and never once paid me a bit of mind.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

BlaineG wrote:I usually let copperheads alone. Once you are aware of each other, the last thing they want is to be around you, and they are not aggressive. This one place I night-fished for cats, on a bunch of rocks, was copperhead heaven, and they crawled all around me and never once paid me a bit of mind.
No thanks! I still say brrr! :( :( :( Always hear of bunches, crawling piles, "mating" balls etc of Cottonmouths and Copperheads back east. Fortunately in Arizona we seldom see such numbers together, unless it's a remote den or you go looking (?) for them. Just (generally) don't have the lush habitat or prey that goes along with, or preponderance of waterways to support those kinds of colonies.

One exception I heard of was when a local college professor studying Mohaves--the deadliest kind in the US--found a den of hundreds southwest of Phoenix. Tagged a bunch and let them go. What an opportunity - why molatoffs were invented! I'm otherwise a wildlife lover but don't need these. Several years ago, I spoke with one of the graders blading the desert in the foothills for a golf course east of Phoenix,...carried an M1 Carbine with 30 rounder onboard to take care of unearthed dens of Diamondbacks which he said were numerous -- "hundreds..." Gives me the heebeegeebees.
Used to see the rattlers beady eyes inbetween the concrete canal linings and earth east of town, and would occasionally see them in the undercut banks as we theretofore blissfully floated by--including one swimming along the shoreline of a local river--when we'd go tubing. There went a previously fond belief (about the swimming) and a another perfectly fine beach!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

gak wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I usually let copperheads alone. Once you are aware of each other, the last thing they want is to be around you, and they are not aggressive. This one place I night-fished for cats, on a bunch of rocks, was copperhead heaven, and they crawled all around me and never once paid me a bit of mind.
No thanks! I still say brrr! :( :( :( Always hear of bunches, crawling piles, "mating" balls etc of Cottonmouths and Copperheads back east. Fortunately in Arizona we seldom see such numbers together, unless it's a remote den or you go looking (?) for them. Just (generally) don't have the lush habitat or prey that goes along with, or preponderance of waterways to support those kinds of colonies.

One exception I heard of was when a local college professor studying Mohaves--the deadliest kind in the US--found a den of hundreds southwest of Phoenix. Tagged a bunch and let them go. What an opportunity - why molatoffs were invented! I'm otherwise a wildlife lover but don't need these. Several years ago, I spoke with one of the graders blading the desert in the foothills for a golf course east of Phoenix,...carried an M1 Carbine with 30 rounder onboard to take care of unearthed dens of Diamondbacks which he said were numerous -- "hundreds..." Gives me the heebeegeebees.
Used to see the rattlers beady eyes inbetween the concrete canal linings and earth east of town, and would occasionally see them in the undercut banks as we theretofore blissfully floated by--including one swimming along the shoreline of a local river--when we'd go tubing. There went a previously fond belief (about the swimming) and a another perfectly fine beach!
The Mohave (green rattlers?) have a combination of both kinds of venum....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

BlaineG wrote: The Mohave (green rattlers?) have a combination of both kinds of venum....
Yep. Neuro (think cobra, coral etc) and hemo toxins (most NA pit vipers).
--some with different mixes and hence lethality depending on locale. None nice. Several years ago a friend--signal maintainer for the RR near Yuma--got nailed clearing brush from alongside the tracks, almost died. A 65-ish gal in Yavapai County did two or three years ago. Nasties. Some more green than others. Most I've seen are sort of a grayish-tannish color with a capful of green thrown in. I've never seen green-green, not that I want to :)
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote:
gak wrote:

The Mohave (green rattlers?) have a combination of both kinds of venum....
Of interesting note, there is also a red rattlesnake that lives in a fairly small area of SoCal. These also have both hemo and neuro toxins in their venom, and apparently it's even more potent. I've dealt with greens. I have no idea why a critter with a nasty venom was also blessed with a nasty temper. And these things are a "protected" species. What were the idiots in Washington thinking. Some crittes should be made extinct. Hmm, politicians for one. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

jeepnik wrote:]
Of interesting note, there is also a red rattlesnake that lives in a fairly small area of SoCal. These also have both hemo and neuro toxins in their venom, and apparently it's even more potent. I've dealt with greens. I have no idea why a critter with a nasty venom was also blessed with a nasty temper. And these things are a "protected" species. What were the idiots in Washington thinking. Some crittes should be made extinct. Hmm, politicians for one. :mrgreen:
Yes, a relation to the Mohave IIRC. I've heard they populate the coastal areas down around San Clemente and such? We have one brand of not-often-seen rattler in Az that's protected--I think a smaller subspecies. Thankfully, the Mohave is not protected here nor is the all-too-common Diamondback. We actually need more bullsnakes and California Kings--also native to Az--here to take care of the rattler types! Red Racers do a good job on them as well.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

in more modern times, we scatter diatomaticious earth around instead of a rope--plays hell the areas between the snake scales as long as it's not wet.

oh, yeah, I forgot--twitching dead snake in the back of a pickup is the easiest way for your herd dog to stay out of the truck for a long while :lol:

rimrock
CalvinMD
Levergunner 1.0

Post by CalvinMD »

Yup ..I lived outside Wylie Tx and had bunches of them....went to a few roundups..over towards the Louisiana side went to a festival that I ate the best catfish/shrimp/ gator/ crawdads and rattler I ever had...of course my cholesterol was about 500 after that weekend,..but what the hey...it was a party :wink:
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

5' rattlers are not uncommon at all in West Texas, and six foot ones are here and there. I think it's neat that in E. Texas they tend to be shorter and a lot fatter than in W. Tex where they tend to be long and skinny. I shoot em Every time just for being there as we are lousy with em in West Texas. .22 Hp in the head from a rifle works best, but I got my last one with a Husqvarna (weed eater).
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

octagon wrote:5' rattlers are not uncommon at all in West Texas, and six foot ones are here and there. I think it's neat that in E. Texas they tend to be shorter and a lot fatter than in W. Tex where they tend to be long and skinny. I shoot em Every time just for being there as we are lousy with em in West Texas. .22 Hp in the head from a rifle works best, but I got my last one with a Husqvarna (weed eater).
Judging from the OP's first photo, it appears in the middle they conspire to get together and combine features--long AND fat!

Many (primarily Diamondbacks) I've seen here in central Az are 4.5-6', some more, some less, and medium-to-chunky in girth. Some fairly athletic (linebacker types) Some fatties too though.
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

"That was a rough old horsehair rope the old cowboys put around them when they slept. The new nylon ones wouldn't stop a worm."

Local folklore has it that if you surround your camp with calcium carbide rocks (used for lighting purposes), snakes, scorpions, centipedes and some such will stay away.
Antonio
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Machado wrote:"That was a rough old horsehair rope the old cowboys put around them when they slept. The new nylon ones wouldn't stop a worm."

Local folklore has it that if you surround your camp with calcium carbide rocks (used for lighting purposes), snakes, scorpions, centipedes and some such will stay away.
Antonio
You know the only thing wrong with folklore of this type? No one ever informed the critters. They'll just crawl right over you barrier and continue on their way unimpeded.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"