Double gun delight!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Double gun delight!

Post by Nath »

Got a call from a farmer, the crows were hammering his spring barley.

So shot off to get some loggin' cut and home then got my gear together and went and set my decoy's up.

Today I took my little Holloway ejector and shot 123 cartridges for 70 birds retrieved in five hours.

Considering I ain't done any decoying for months and I shot so lousy on the pheasants I am pleased with today!

I was using a fast 1oz load of english 6s with fiber wads, they are fast too fetching one or to high ones down.

The stock is a little short for just a T-shirt so I slip a little rubber recoil pad on :)

Thought you may like.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Double gun delight!

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Is that a 20ga.? What's the difference between "English 6s" and ours? What does one do with 70 crows?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Love shooting crows.

Are you calling? Buggers around here get an idea that their mates are getting killed and they vamoose with a quickness...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Griff wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Is that a 20ga.? What's the difference between "English 6s" and ours? What does one do with 70 crows?
It's a 12g Griff.

"Even the buzzards gotta' eat!

They will be recycled in many many ways :wink:

No calling today OI, just fooled em'.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Good going Nath 8)
Save one and hang it up side down where you don`t want crows, it spooks them and they won`t come near.
We have a last years crow hanging by the bird feeders, due for a new one.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Nice shooting Nath. I have liked those 1 ounce loads for years for doves and quail as they are fast with nice recoil. You look like you might be standing in a field in West Texas except for the hat. We ought to send you a proper hat sometime, a baseball hat with "John Deere" on it or maybe "Spurs". All kidding aside you are the dang biggest hunting fool of an Englishman I ever saw or heard of.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

We used to blast crows all the time, great sport.

We used to use .22's when we were kids. (On doves too.) :shock: :lol: :oops:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Great job on that bunch of thieves. Except for the trees that could be out around Amarillo, Texas. That's a fine looking double Nath.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Sounds like some fun crow bustin'! Well done.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

That is amazing. Don't think I have seen 70 crows on a day I have been huntingnthem
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Fantastic public service you are doing.
Popping crows is one of my favorite early morning "watch the sunrise activities". I generally use a 12 guage Fox or a Fox B. Eastern Illinois around the Danville area is my place when up north there. Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I think if you did that in this country, PETA would be up your nose mate.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mescalero wrote:I think if you did that in this country, PETA would be up your nose mate.
Yea, and PETA wants to save wild hogs too. Even though they are getting to be at epidemic porportions.

Nath, that's a good job you did there. Funny how greenies want to eat veggies, but don't understand you have to control vermin in order to have something to eat. And since it barley, the beer drinkers of the world salute you.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Griff wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Is that a 20ga.? What's the difference between "English 6s" and ours? What does one do with 70 crows?
http://crowbusters.com/

http://crowbusters.com/recipes.htm
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Sorry,

Eating whatever eats road pizza is where I draw the line.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Nath, ain't you the one now. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

soon 2 retire wrote:Sorry,

Bob in Friday Harbor
But really... it's different than Hog in what way?

FWIW, there are places, usually around Pecan Groves, where they do Crow Hunts like folks do dove hunts - but with no limit. We're talking hundreds of birds...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Right smart job there, Governor.
Old Law Dawg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Ironsights wrote:

Bob in Friday Harbor
I gotta agree about the hogs eating anything and everything including their own dead relatives . But then the same can be said about grandma's yardbirds (chicken) .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

6pt-sika wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

Bob in Friday Harbor
I gotta agree about the hogs eating anything and everything including their own dead relatives . But then the same can be said about grandma's yardbirds (chicken) .
http://crowbusters.com/recipes.htm wrote:I'm sure you are wondering if this section is simply an elaborate practical joke to anyone visiting the page. On the contrary, we have received a great many requests asking for further information about the culinary delights to be experienced when dining on the "Black Bandit". In fact, we believe a natural prejudice has prevented most crow hunters from even considering this bird as wild game. Our experience is that the mere mention of dropping these birds on the menu brings a series of comments from other hunters as if we had just suggested stir frying up a batch of common sewer rats. And if you ever make the mistake of sharing these thoughts with a non-hunter, be prepared for the same reaction you might get if you invited them to dine with the Donner party. This is a shame since, properly prepared, the members of the Corvid family are as tasty as most other game birds and even tastier than some. Besides, with crow populations as high as they are, what an untapped resource we have at our disposal.

Historically, crows, as well as other non-songbird species have been common fare. Remember "four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie"? Our revulsion seems to center around the fact that the crow and it's close relatives are scavengers and therefore unfit to eat. Well, as far as pigs and chickens are concerned, you just wouldn't believe what these supermarket critters will stick in their mouths. Seafood? You honestly don't want to know what goes into a Blue Crab before it ends up on that expensive crab cake platter. I suppose the same goes for lobsters. The list goes on.

In short, it's really just our cultural prejudice that limits our possibilities. You know, maybe crow meat just needs some clever marketing terminology. Look what they did for Sweet Breads and Escargot...

It will come as little surprise to anyone that even the biggest crow doesn't make much of a meal. However, the fact that it is often possible to take large numbers at a time can compensate for this. Since a morning shoot can easily net from 10 to 100 birds, you want to limit the amount of time necessary to clean each bird. Put out of your head any idea of plucking a crow like you would a goose or duck. Besides the breast meat, there just isn't enough edible meat on a crow to make it worthwhile. Using the technique described below, you can extract the best meat of a crow within a minute or two with very little mess.

1. Lay the crow on it's back in front of you with it's head pointed to the right.

2. Take a finger and locate where the breast bone meets the upper abdomen.

3. With a sharp knife, make a cut across the crow (wing to wing) below the breast bone. Don't be concerned about cutting toodeep, no edible meat will be damaged with this cut.

4. Holding the birds feet with your left hand, place 2 or 3 fingers under the skin where the cut was made and pull in opposite directions. The skinless breast meat should now be exposed.

5. Take the knife again and separate each breast half away from the bone starting in the middle and working outward. You should end up with 2 lime sized pieces of crow breast. Discard the remains properly.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Ironsights wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

Bob in Friday Harbor
http://crowbusters.com/recipes.htm wrote:I'm sure you are wondering if this section is simply an elaborate practical joke to anyone visiting the page. On the contrary, we have received a great many requests asking for further information about the culinary delights to be experienced when dining on the "Black Bandit". In fact, we believe a natural prejudice has prevented most crow hunters from even considering this bird as wild game. Our experience is that the mere mention of dropping these birds on the menu brings a series of comments from other hunters as if we had just suggested stir frying up a batch of common sewer rats. And if you ever make the mistake of sharing these thoughts with a non-hunter, be prepared for the same reaction you might get if you invited them to dine with the Donner party. This is a shame since, properly prepared, the members of the Corvid family are as tasty as most other game birds and even tastier than some. Besides, with crow populations as high as they are, what an untapped resource we have at our disposal.

Historically, crows, as well as other non-songbird species have been common fare. Remember "four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie"? Our revulsion seems to center around the fact that the crow and it's close relatives are scavengers and therefore unfit to eat. Well, as far as pigs and chickens are concerned, you just wouldn't believe what these supermarket critters will stick in their mouths. Seafood? You honestly don't want to know what goes into a Blue Crab before it ends up on that expensive crab cake platter. I suppose the same goes for lobsters. The list goes on.

In short, it's really just our cultural prejudice that limits our possibilities. You know, maybe crow meat just needs some clever marketing terminology. Look what they did for Sweet Breads and Escargot...

Even knowing what a chicken , hog , crab or lobster may eat I still have no problem consumming them. And even though I LIKE escargot . I still cannot see myself eating crows although I have been known to drink a wee dram of "Old Crow" in the past :wink:

Incidently when I was a kid a chicken or hog had a ZERO life expectantcy around our house . And while we didn't see as much of ocean crabs or lobsters their life was never a question either , as they got eaten PDQ also !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Well, some folks won't eat squirrel, possum, 'coon or bear either... :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Wow you wore them out! Do you hide in the bushes and have a caller? That is a lot of crows
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Ironsights wrote:Well, some folks won't eat squirrel, possum, 'coon or bear either... :wink:
OI,
Logic doesn't always work! :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Griff wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:Well, some folks won't eat squirrel, possum, 'coon or bear either... :wink:
OI,
Logic doesn't always work! :wink:
Sigh. Yeah. But I'm grumpy at the moment 'cause there's nothing legal to hunt right now but 'coons, 'yotes, jackrabbits, skunks and foxes... and about the only thing around here are 'coons, 'yotes & skunks (prairie-dogs too...). And while I've had some good 'coon, it's not something *I* am good at cooking.

Crows aren't "legal" until November, no matter how many show up to eat your seed stock. :roll:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice shootin' Nath, GK Jr would would be proud of you, he hates all Corvids with a vengeance..
Currently I have a pair of Magpies move in but no chance of a shot yet.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

game keeper wrote:Nice shootin' Nath, GK Jr would would be proud of you, he hates all Corvids with a vengeance..
Get this (Nath/GK):
Originally, crows were simply classified as varmints and could be shot anytime of the year. However, the U.S. has negotiated a treaty with the Mexican government to protect several species that move back and forth between the two countries. The treaty covers the entire major bird family Corvidae, which includes crows, ravens and jays. So without it necessarily being intended, the crow is now a protected species with limitations on how they can be hunted. The sport season for crows can be for no more than 124 days and can't occur during the peak breeding period in each state.
Bloody Politicians & their "unintended consequences"... :evil:

I'm always amazed at the small game hunting you guys get to do, and how much you get to do it. Are there no seasons, or are the critters you are shooting all considered vermin?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old Ironsights wrote:
game keeper wrote:Nice shootin' Nath, GK Jr would would be proud of you, he hates all Corvids with a vengeance..
Get this (Nath/GK):
Originally, crows were simply classified as varmints and could be shot anytime of the year. However, the U.S. has negotiated a treaty with the Mexican government to protect several species that move back and forth between the two countries. The treaty covers the entire major bird family Corvidae, which includes crows, ravens and jays. So without it necessarily being intended, the crow is now a protected species with limitations on how they can be hunted. The sport season for crows can be for no more than 124 days and can't occur during the peak breeding period in each state.

I'm always amazed at the small game hunting you guys get to do, and how much you get to do it. Are there no seasons, or are the critters you are shooting all considered vermin?
Yes, a lot of what we hunt is considered vermin, so no close seasons or bag limits for Crows, Rooks, Jackdaws, Jays and Magpies, Ravens are protected as they are rare in most places. Foxes, Rabbits and Grey Squirrels too are considered vermin, likewise Wood Pigeon and Collared Doves so there are no bag limits or close seasons. Canada Geese are also now considered vermin due to the increase in their numbers.
Deer and Hares do have close seasons likewise all Gamebirds and Wildfowl but still no bag limits.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Nath wrote:---I was using a fast 1oz load of english 6s with fiber wads, ---
Eley Impax? Perhaps the best cartridge ever for pheasants, pidgeons and crow.

And a fine job - a shot crow is a good crow. (BTW - there are two sorts of crows: unshot and shot.)

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

game keeper wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:
Get this (Nath/GK):

Yes, a lot of what we hunt is considered vermin, so no close seasons or bag limits for Crows, Rooks, Jackdaws, Jays and Magpies, Ravens are protected as they are rare in most places. Foxes, Rabbits and Grey Squirrels too are considered vermin, likewise Wood Pigeon and Collared Doves so there are no bag limits or close seasons. Canada Geese are also now considered vermin due to the increase in their numbers.
Deer and Hares do have close seasons likewise all Gamebirds and Wildfowl but still no bag limits.
GK, has it changed for Hares? I thought there was no closed season but the sale of hares through March was not allowed??
Old Shatterhand wrote:

And a fine job - a shot crow is a good crow. (BTW - there are two sorts of crows: unshot and shot.)

Pete
No Sir, not Eley Impax although an outstanding shell. A competitor from Hull cartridge.

http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/products ... ame_12.cfm

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

[quote="Nath
Deer and Hares do have close seasons likewise all Gamebirds and Wildfowl but still no bag limits.[/quote]

GK, has it changed for Hares? I thought there was no closed season but the sale of hares through March was not allowed??

.[/quote]

My bad, :oops: you are correct sir, Hares can be shot all year round but not sold during the breeding season.
Also Game Birds and Hares can not be shot on Sundays or Christmas day. (I think) :?
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Shatterhand wrote:

Pete
No Sir, not Eley Impax although an outstanding shell. A competitor from Hull cartridge.

Nath.[/quote]

'THREE CROWNS HP'
O yeah, sweet 16 royalty right there, I like that… 8)
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Nath wrote:No Sir, not Eley Impax although an outstanding shell. A competitor from Hull cartridge.

Nath.
Another fine british cartridge. Fibre wads and hard shot are the right medicine in the doublegun!

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

game keeper wrote:[quote="Nath

.[/quote]

My bad, :oops: you are correct sir, Hares can be shot all year round but not sold during the breeding season.
Also Game Birds and Hares can not be shot on Sundays or Christmas day. (I think) :?[/quote]

Your bad! I don't think so friend. Thankyou :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Part of the reason people don't want to eat crow is cultural. Like crabs, many people in the not-so-distant past have see crows feeding on human dead.

Historically crows are associated with human warfare, and are often the first to begin feeding on the fallen. This symbolism continues in TV and cinema to this day.

I have not tried to shoot a crow since I was in high school, using a Crosman pneumatic BB gun in my parents suburban back yard. Part of the reason I stopped doing so was I began to believe (around the age of 18 or 19) that it was wrong to kill an animal and not try to eat it, unless in real fear for my life.

I may just have to try it now.

If I do so, they will certainly be cooked "well done"!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

junkbug wrote:Part of the reason people don't want to eat crow is cultural. Like crabs, many people in the not-so-distant past have see crows feeding on human dead.

Historically crows are associated with human warfare, and are often the first to begin feeding on the fallen. This symbolism continues in TV and cinema to this day.

I have not tried to shoot a crow since I was in high school, using a Crosman pneumatic BB gun in my parents suburban back yard. Part of the reason I stopped doing so was I began to believe (around the age of 18 or 19) that it was wrong to kill an animal and not try to eat it, unless in real fear for my life.

I may just have to try it now.

If I do so, they will certainly be cooked "well done"!
Interesting JB, I personally kill anything that is not recieving enough natural predation and is out of control and even maybe harming lesser species. Conservation work if you like.

I enjoy the varied song bird life around my home these days. When we moved here there was only crows and magpies. Due to my efforts we have much more varied bird song in the mornings now :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!