Storing guns and stuff in non-climate controled area?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Storing guns and stuff in non-climate controled area?

Post by L_Kilkenny »

What are the pitfalls of storing guns and/or ammo and/or reloading supplies in a non-climate controlled building or room such as a garage, cabin, etc. ?

I had issues with some CCI .22lr ammo stored in my camper over the extremely hot and steamy summer last year and am curious as to any possible issues. Winter time non-cliimate control storage or even vehicles in is a no-no around here as it's and invitation to rust but I'm not sure as to the effects of heat and humidity.

LK
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Storing guns and stuff in non-climate controled area?

Post by Mescalero »

I can not address the gun portion of your question.
The ammo question is another matter.
Modern gunpowder is compised of nitro-cellulose base.
In uncontrolled enviroenments, large swings between hot and cold; day after day, the nitrocellulose starts to break down at the microscopic level, thus leading to degradation of the integity of the originally designed specs.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

All of my ammo is stored in GI cans with rubber seals and so on - but I can't help you much on long-term ammo storage in widely varying climates, since my ammo is in a controlled environment.

As for firearms, you might want to look into some of these new products that leave a microlayer of protective substance, like Prolix, which protects metal, wood, and is not damaging to synthetics like materials used with the Glock. It is my current combination storage and lubrication favorite. Go to their site for more information:
www.prolixlubricant.com/

There is an old standby, Kroil, but some others here will probably chime up and discuss how effective this product is. It appears to be somewhat of a universal protectant.

Or you could consider some leakproof storage tubes or bags with dessicant, as described in another thread posted this week. Of course, the length of storage and severity of conditions will dictate how carefully you must wrap up and lubircate or protect your firearms.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

A conversation on the Winchester Collectors Forum a few years ago involved David Kennedy, former curator of the Cody museum. He recommended a microcrystalline was such as Conservator's Wax or Renaissance Wax. He said they put that stuff on all their firearms. I've been using Conservator's wax on my guns now for the past year. Good stuff for both wood and metal, but it will leave a slightly slippery feel on the wood, but doesn't seem to interfere with actual hunting and shooting.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300681277617?ss ... 415wt_1336
this is nickel silver (brass with 18% nickel added) stored in a garage inside a leather case.
A fishing reel.
Both the leather case and the line are mildewed and the biosystem is pitting a highly corrosion-resistant material.
Steel wouldn't stand a chance.
Brass would potentially crack from ammonia produced.

VCI is a useful technology here. It's like a little sponge pillow you would put inside your ammo cans.
https://www.zcorrproducts.com/pages/how-it-works

another source
http://www.theruststore.com/VCI-C12.aspx
this is a great buy, enough for 20 ammo cans
http://www.theruststore.com/The-Inhibit ... 54C84.aspx

I have have been using these in my tackle boxes since they were first handed out at NACE convention 15 years ago (I'm a corrosion engineer by trade), have of course replaced them, and have no active corrosion in my tackle boxes, including salt.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Clean/wax/lube the firearms ans seal them in a climate-proof bag in a climate-controlled enviroment or while it's not hot/humid. (google: firearms storage bags.
CheaperThanDirt.com sels them for less then $10 ea.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BAG196-1.html

Store ammo in ammo cans with good seals and a dissicant (sp?) inside each can.

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

No climate control needed in CA, but all of my guns are bagged in the safe. Beside keeping them clean it reduces contact dings and dents. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Bottom line----Humidity and fast temp changes can be a killer on guns(unless you take some measures)

Personally, For longer periods(more than just a vacation/hunting trip etc)would not have my guns stored there.(period)
I want them were its a decent temp and if over 60% humidity(a dehumidifier going to bring it down to at least 60%)
That way,no need to do anything but routine storage.(value my guns too much)

I see all these guys keeping them in their humid basement taking all these steps and many still rust up.
Tell em------------Buy a darn dehumidifier and keep everything in your basement much better besides.

I don't want to have to screw around cleaning stuff off a gun every time I use one.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

madman4570 wrote:----Buy a darn dehumidifier and keep everything in your basement much better besides.
Good advice. I set the dehumidifier in my basement to 35%.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yes,
but what do you do for temperature fluctuations?
This is a serious question really, I have addressed it.
I am intersted in what others have done.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Oh,
I forgot, as pertaons to ammo, not guns.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Thanks for the responces. I like the idea of the protective waxes and such. Heard many times of folks using wax to protect guns but it always slips my mind when the time comes. I'll "try" not to forget again.

Winter time would be an easy fix. Any cabinet fitted with a 100w lamp or other very small electric heat source will keep the temps up and humidity down in winter. What Mescalero said about ammo makes sense and jives with my experience but I'm still interested in the effects of summer heat and humidity on guns.

BTW, not talking about long term storage where the guns aren't touched for months or years.

LK
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Rimfire ammo is most efffected by humidity, not much of a seal between bullet and case. Here in FL even a few days in a vehicle can ruin it during the summer months. I try not to take anymore out of sealled storage in house then I am planing on using in a range sesion, and even that I tote in a sealed ziplock with as much air squezed out as I can.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

A few days!
Wow, I did not realise it happened THAT fast.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

90% humidity,Temps in car can go from 120 degres sitting closed during the day down to 70 or so at night, the poor seal between bullt heal and case, yep it happens.