Got a Soft Spot for A3s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Got a Soft Spot for A3s

Post by Les Staley »

Bought my first Remington 03A3 from a school teacher in 1962.. brought it home on the school bus.. ever since I've loved these old rifles. Now I've got several in the safe, three as issued, got out two of them today, and cleaned 'em, set up the bench on the porch and bagged 'em at 100 yds. These two are both four groove 1943 barrels.. one is a Greek return I picked up at the North Store CMP. the other I bought off the internet, sight unseen.. It's a little rougher then the CMP rifle, but both are holding under 2" at 100 yds. I use my 'puter glasses, makes the front sight sharp, the 8" bull is a little fuzzy, (I'm shooting from memory).. but still holding my own. Got a bunch of Lake City 69 M2 ball, seems to be okay in these two old guns. As usual, no pictures.. I'm 'puter challanged. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got a Soft Spot for A3s

Post by pwl44m »

Sounds good, I have a Guy wanting to trade one to Me for a new Savage in 375 H&H. As I remember His is a Remington, don't remember if it is just 03 or 03A3. It basically looks new in original condition. I had an 03 mk1 several years ago but sold it. May have to take My Friend up on His offer.
Oh as far as that excuse You are using "computer challenged" for posting Pics. You do know that only works so long. LOL Thx for the Post.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Never owned an O3-A3, but always wanted one. Those I've seen have either been priced out of my league or sporterized. I'd prefer a box stock example in good shooting condition.
Maybe someday.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

A couple of years ago I was suffering from flatpockets syndrome when offered an O3A3 with Elmer Keith's cartouche AND it was in near mint condition. Issued to an industrial guard during the war it had not to anyone's knowledge ever been fired, just kept clean and oiled since issue during the war. I could kick myself. The price? $500.00 :cry:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My Dad gave me this Remington when I was 14. He and my Grandfather bought several
from the DCM in the early 60s. All got sporterized and well used except this one.
I still have the reciept, $14.00 including shipping!

Barrel date is 12-42, the earliest I've seen. Will shoot 1"- 1 1/2" groups quite easily.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie wrote:A couple of years ago I was suffering from flatpockets syndrome when offered an O3A3 with Elmer Keith's cartouche AND it was in near mint condition. Issued to an industrial guard during the war it had not to anyone's knowledge ever been fired, just kept clean and oiled since issue during the war. I could kick myself. The price? $500.00 :cry:
Oh, man. . . :shock: . :? . :| . :( . :cry:

Is that rear sight considered an 'original' one? The ones I've seen have a sort of 'ladder' type one in front of the receiver. Or is that the 'A3' difference...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Hobie wrote:A couple of years ago I was suffering from flatpockets syndrome when offered an O3A3 with Elmer Keith's cartouche AND it was in near mint condition. Issued to an industrial guard during the war it had not to anyone's knowledge ever been fired, just kept clean and oiled since issue during the war. I could kick myself. The price? $500.00 :cry:
That's what the credit cards are for!!!

Steve
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Jason,
That is a fine looking rifle. I would really like to find an original like your 03A3 (in my price range). Do you still have any of sporterized rifles that your Dad and Grandfather did? That, truthfully, is where my soft spot for '03s is. One day, I would like to build a bull barreled Palma style target rifle using a 1903 action, heavy wood prone stock and open match sights. I guess that it would have to be .308 instead of .30-06 to qualify as a Palma rifle... But since I would never officially compete with it, I would keep it in .30-06... Some day...

My two sporters; 1943 Smith Corona and 1928 Springfield Armory
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

AJMD429 wrote:
Oh, man. . . :shock: . :? . :| . :( . :cry:

Is that rear sight considered an 'original' one? The ones I've seen have a sort of 'ladder' type one in front of the receiver. Or is that the 'A3' difference...?
Pictured is the 1903A3 with receiver sight. The 1903 does indeed have the "ladder" style mounted forward of the receiver on the barrel. Other changes included stamped parts on the '03A3 instead of milled parts on the original 1903; trigger guard/bottom metal, barrel bands, etc.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I have a few A3's I bought when they were in the $300 range. A friend has a darn nice one but wants $700 for it. That's a bit more than I can stand.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My main experience with A3s is throwing one across the room to some other fool trying to catch it... while I try to catch his. :shock:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

SteveR wrote:

Steve
Individuals don't take credit cards. Benjamins rule!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

damienph wrote:Jason,
That is a fine looking rifle. I would really like to find an original like your 03A3 (in my price range). Do you still have any of sporterized rifles that your Dad and Grandfather did? That, truthfully, is where my soft spot for '03s is. One day, I would like to build a bull barreled Palma style target rifle using a 1903 action, heavy wood prone stock and open match sights. I guess that it would have to be .308 instead of .30-06 to qualify as a Palma rifle... But since I would never officially compete with it, I would keep it in .30-06... Some day...

Sure do. Family guns don't ever leave. :D

This one is my favorite. My dad gave it to me on my 30th birthday. Grandpa had it made up
for a light weight moose hunting rifle. I've taken a pile of deer, among other things with this rifle.
It's all I hunted with before I found this site.
He still has the others. I'll have to get some pictures of those.

jb 8)

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

03 & 03A3 with the receiver sight
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

damienph wrote:Do you still have any of sporterized rifles that your Dad and Grandfather did? That, truthfully, is where my soft spot for '03s is.
Same here. Here's s poor pic of my SC 03A3 wearing a Weaver V8
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

2ndovc wrote:My Dad gave me this Remington when I was 14. He and my Grandfather bought several
from the DCM in the early 60s. All got sporterized and well used except this one.
I still have the reciept, $14.00 including shipping!

Barrel date is 12-42, the earliest I've seen. Will shoot 1"- 1 1/2" groups quite easily.

jb 8)
Dad has a sporterized 03A3,thats feels almost as smooth as a Krag. They are nice, but the Smith in pic, I like even more.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Les,
You ain't 'puter challenged! Its a very small learning curve that we sometimes need a knowledgable dude to explain to us. They made these things so even a person with the IQ of a stalk of celery can do the basics. Just look at me! :D

Anyway, on to business. Like Mike Venturino, my favorite of all military guns is the 03A3, not the 03. These suckers can shoot. I've only got one, but its a very early Smith Carona that used the barrels from Savage? with 6 groove rifling. ----------Sixgun

As usual, a crappy pic.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Hobie wrote:
SteveR wrote:

Steve
Individuals don't take credit cards. Benjamins rule!
+ 2 i paid cash for all my guns. :P If i pay by cash only, it forces me to pay with o/t only and have no guilt feelings as to not using funds for day to day expenses (kids, wife, dog)
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

2ndovc wrote:Sure do. Family guns don't ever leave. :D

This one is my favorite. My dad gave it to me on my 30th birthday. Grandpa had it made up
for a light weight moose hunting rifle. I've taken a pile of deer, among other things with this rifle.

jb 8)
Please do get pictures of the others. They did a good job on this one. I never get tired of looking at '03s!

3leggedturtle commented on your Victory or M&P or whatever that K-frame is. I REALLY like Smith & Wesson revolvers but I could never say which I like better, handguns vs rifles, apples vs oranges, eating vs drinking; I just can't compare the two to each other.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

awp101 wrote:
damienph wrote:Do you still have any of sporterized rifles that your Dad and Grandfather did? That, truthfully, is where my soft spot for '03s is.
Same here. Here's s poor pic of my SC 03A3 wearing a Weaver V8
Andrew, does that scope have internal adjustments or is elevation and windage done through the base and rings? The scope doesn't seem to have turrets, unless the rear set of rings are permanently attached and the turret is above/beside them.

The base on my A3 is an all steel Buehler that was made for scopes with no internal adjustments (like the old Bausch & Lomb Balvar), all elevation and windage was accomplished by adjusting the base and rings. If I could find a good clear Balvar or comparable (and affordable) scope in either 4x or 6x, I would mount it just to complete the period (early '60s) look.

Nice rifle that you have there. I like those "avant garde" California stocks!
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Sixgun: I swear that the first thing I will attempt after I retire is to learn how to post pictures.. Now... back to your beatiful Smith Corona... does it "ding" when you pull the bolt all the way back, (Like the old typewriters?).. they often came with High Standard barrels on 'em.. good shooters all.. I really like the A3 front sight.. very thin, like a NM sight on an M1A.. makes 'em easier to get good groups with (when my eyes were young). Lyman and Marbles used to make a blade with a brass bead installed for the A3, made it a little easier to see in the woods.. I have brought home four or five sporterized A3s over the years.. used to buy them for $200 tops.. guess I've got nine in the safes..(three unissued, and a Remington 03, plus five sporters..)my main go-to rifle is an A3 rechambered in 300 Win mag.. light and very accurate.. not a rebarrel, but rechambered.. killed a potload of elk with it..took my bighorn sheep with it last fall.. Les

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I was born this way.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Old Ironsights wrote:My main experience with A3s is throwing one across the room to some other fool trying to catch it... while I try to catch his. :shock:
Chuckle Hey I resemble that remark! Chuckle
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

damienph wrote:
2ndovc wrote:Sure do. Family guns don't ever leave. :D

jb 8)
Please do get pictures of the others. They did a good job on this one. I never get tired of looking at '03s!

3leggedturtle commented on your Victory or M&P or whatever that K-frame is. I REALLY like Smith & Wesson revolvers but I could never say which I like better, handguns vs rifles, apples vs oranges, eating vs drinking; I just can't compare the two to each other.

It is a Victory Model that I picked up at an auction years ago. I don't think it had been fired before I got my hands on it. I've since put the original grips back on it. I was worried I'd lose them. They're on my K 22 now.

jb 8)

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Don't want to steal the thread but it is on topic and I wish to learn something. Difference between A3 and O3A3?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

In my misspent youth I purchased 5 or 6 unmolested ones, molested them, hunted them for a season, then sold them usualy better than doubleing my investment if you didn't figure in labor. Now I wish I would have kept them unaltered, and really made some money on them. :oops:
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

rjohns94 wrote:Don't want to steal the thread but it is on topic and I wish to learn something. Difference between A3 and O3A3?
Already been coverd, but biddest changes had to do with sights o3 had open sight on barrel, o3a3 had a peep mounted on reciever. Also o3 had forged bottom metal, o3a3 had stamped.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks wasn't sure if they were the only changes. Was wondering about barrel lands and grooves, years of production, manufacturers etc.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

In 1942 Remington got ahold of the old Springfield and Rock Island tooling for 1903 rifles, and started building rifles. Their first rifles were 1903s,first built in Nov. 1941, got 1273 out the door by Dec 1941. and as they looked for ways to make production quicker, they started addeing some stamped parts to the 03s, and also started to build barrels with two grooves instead of four. these mid-range guns are sometimes refered to 03 modified.. by collectors. When they went full fledged cheap, the new rifle was called 1903A3, which included the stamped bands, bottom metal and a new rear receiver bridge mounted peep sight, eliminating the barrel rear sight. The 1903A4 came along shortly after that, (still marked 03A3, but the stamping rolled over to left side of receiver ring so it could be read with a scope mount base attached) a lot of the A4s had two groove barrels. two and four groove barrels were made all along during the production. Smith Corona barrels were made by High Standard and were four and six groove..no two grooves. Remington 03s are mostly all 1942 production.. 03A3 1943 through the end of the war. 03A4s by Sept 1943 through the end of the war. some other "expert" should chime in here.. (Wish Rick the Librarian were here).. Les

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I was born this way.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

damienph wrote: Andrew, does that scope have internal adjustments or is elevation and windage done through the base and rings? The scope doesn't seem to have turrets, unless the rear set of rings are permanently attached and the turret is above/beside them.

The base on my A3 is an all steel Buehler that was made for scopes with no internal adjustments (like the old Bausch & Lomb Balvar), all elevation and windage was accomplished by adjusting the base and rings. If I could find a good clear Balvar or comparable (and affordable) scope in either 4x or 6x, I would mount it just to complete the period (early '60s) look.

Nice rifle that you have there. I like those "avant garde" California stocks!
It's done through the rear ring:
Ignore the lint... :roll:

I've been told they don't hold up well to heavy recoil but I'm not sure what constitutes "heavy" anymore. If it'll stand up to 06 on a regular basis, I'd like to get one for a .308 and a 9x57 project I have planned in my head.

Thanks, I like the stock too! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks Les. Just what I was looking for
Mike Johnson,