Best Single Bullet for Levergun/Sixgun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Best Single Bullet for Levergun/Sixgun?

Post by JohndeFresno »

OK, probably asked and answered before:

If your circumstances allowed only ONE bullet and ONE load for rifle and handgun, what would it be?

E.g., what I am considering: RCBS 45-270-SAA 280 gr. cast bullet over about 8.5 grains of Unique.
I like the idea of the reported accuracy, meplat and wallop of this medium heavy bullet at even 100 yards, about as far as I would expect to use it in the levergun.

Intended Use: Personal defense to medium sized varmints to deer, hogs, or at the extreme small (black) bears; a setup like the old .44-40 of the frontier days. I realize that a pistol caliber for bears is a stretch; thus my preference for the .45 sized messenger.

I am leaning towards the .45 Colt in a medium heavy payload with just moderate pressure, like the RCBS 45-270-SAA over about 8.5 grains of Unique.

Intended firearms: A Ruger Blackhawk or similar strength sixgun mated with a Marlin levergun.

Any preferences from those who have hunted with just one pistol load, handgun and long gun? One bullet and load, only, please - so one would not have to worry about mixing ammo!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Best Single Bullet for Levergun/Sixgun?

Post by J Miller »

WLP + W-W cases + 9.0grs Unique +
Joes Keiths.jpg
(NOTE: These 454424 bullets average 265 to 268grs from wheel weight alloy.)

= My go to load.

Shot many many thousands of this load and have no fear of it doing what's needed done.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by J Miller on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Does your CA residence give pause to lead bullet use?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I agree with Joe on the bullet. A 255 gr. Keith bullet over 9 gr. Unique is my go to load in my Rugers. I would not hesitate to use it for whatever purpose was needed if it was the only thing I had. I wouldn't necessarily want to go chasing after Grizz with it, but I have no doubt it could put one on the ground if need be.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Diameter .429, cast 20/1 and lubed with SPG loaded over 1/8th inch card wad and a case full of Goex ffg in 44-40 Starline brass although WW will do. Does everything I need.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm at work and can only give this about an hours thought. (yea, it ain't easy being a Teamster) :D

O.K. on to business:

A 38-40 loaded with a 200 gr. cast bullet over 9 grains of unique.

When you really think about it, about any combination from .357 on would be a good choice. I'm a bit partial to the 40 calibers. Better sectional density, lighter recoil, (than the bigger bores)
and its still a big bore :D
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Keith 429421 cast 250 grains over 19 grains 2400 in 44 magnum. :shock:
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

John - I think you've pretty much nailed it. Joe Miller has almost the same combo that he recommended, and since his bullet is a bit lighter (255 grains) than your 280 grain RCBS-SAA-270, I'll bet that feeding is smooth in that one too.

Remember, Scovill came up with that RCBS design to allow a little bit heavier bullets to fit in the cylinders of Colt SAA's, unlike some of the slightly heavier Keith's. So, you've got the best of the Keith concept (flat base, deep and square lube groove, good sized meplat, and pretty close to the 3 equal size driving bands), and you've got a little heavier bullet than a 255 grainer. Hence, your slight reduction from Joe's 9.0 grains of Unique.

I think that as long as your load can feed reliably from a Marlin rifle that you've nailed down a really good rifle/handgun combo here. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

CA - lead - intruders are not an endangered species as the condor.

Answer to the question - the standard Keith is the appropriate weight for caliber.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

When I discovered my Puma had a .432" groove diameter, I found Ranch Dog's 265 gr. RNFP bullet (thanks to a Leverguns.com member). I have been loading this bullet in .44 mag. over a load of Bluedot; about 15.2 gr. So far, it works well in my Puma (feeds great), Ruger SBH, S&W 629, Dan Wesson 44H, and even my Contender (I size to .431" for the revolvers, .430" for the Contender, and unsized for the Puma). I'm sure I could tweek the load for better preformance in individual guns, but haven't gotten around to it yet...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bulk 240gr .429s, and 14 grains of Bluedot...A decent (nearly) full bore load.

:oops: You're talking .45...sorry :P
Last edited by Blaine on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

John,

Mine is a 260 grain Keith over 9 grains of Universal Clays for both my Winchester Trapper and my Smith 25. This 45 Colt of course. The Universal Clays is about the same burning rate as Unique. Goes 900 feet from the four inch Smith and a bit over 1200 from the 16 inch Trapper.

My Smith is an older one with huge cylinder throats so I size the bullet not at all as it's as cast size is .456. The throats are .455 and the bore is .452, shoots very well. The .455 bullet will still chamber in the Winchester (not true with some) and runs down it's .451 bore just fine.

I went with that power level because of the Smith. It'll handle a bit more but not a lot, especially with a lot of shooting. If I'd been going with a Blackhawk I'd've used something more like 20 grains of 2400.

Cat
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Hobie wrote:Does your CA residence give pause to lead bullet use?
Thank you all for the great input - this is a "saver," and I'll be studying this again before deciding upon a pistol caliber levergun, should I go that way.

Hobie, I'm in the Condor Zone, but I intend to put away some rounds, along with some bricks of .22's, just in case things get really sour and food and protection become more of an issue. If that happens, then the cheaper lead handloads for handgun and rifle make sense to me, and the Condor "thing" won't matter much to me.

If I decide to load both in .45 Colt for hunting, then I am looking at the pricey Barnes 225 grainer. Choices are limited, but I am considering around 20 grains of 2400, since I have it on the shelf. That lighter, faster round changes several things, and I have not yet really looked at that load, or audited its predicted pressures with QuickLoad.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, that cuts it ............
I forgot what I was gonna post .... :oops:

John, when you go hunt in Condor areas do you use slow and heavy bullets or small and fast ones to shoot them down?
Also would tracers help maybe?

Just curious.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JohndeFresno wrote:If I decide to load both in .45 Colt for hunting, then I am looking at the pricey Barnes 225 grainer. Choices are limited, but I am considering around 20 grains of 2400, since I have it on the shelf. That lighter, faster round changes several things, and I have not yet really looked at that load, or audited its predicted pressures with QuickLoad.
Then I'd oscillate toward using the RCBS 45-225-CAV. I use this bullet with great results from all three of my .45 Colt rifles, as well as 4 Colt SAAs, and all of my 1911s. It's a great all around, what I consider to be a "middle-weight" .45 bullet. Cast hard enough you can drive as fast as the jacketed version... so you don't lose anything in practicing with either... POI and POA remain the same.
Pictured here as cast on the right and after a smack with a 28oz framing hammer from about 36in height without any added force on the left.
Image.

But... I don't think I could get by with just one bullet!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

.357 magnum 180 gr. Buffalo Bore.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

tman wrote:.357 magnum 180 gr. Buffalo Bore.
Several years ago, I made up some moderate 180gr loads....They were very impressive. An entirely different attitude than a normal 158gr load!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:
tman wrote:.357 magnum 180 gr. Buffalo Bore.
Several years ago, I made up some moderate 180gr loads....They were very impressive. An entirely different attitude than a normal 158gr load!
Those (and my reload equivalents) are sort of my "if only one" for woods/defense too.

The heavy 180 is actually easier to control out of my SP101 (@1200) than OEM 158gr SJSPs (@1500)... and we KNOW what it will do out of a rifle at 1800fps...

If I had to use "Name Brand" commercial ammo I would not be upset or feel undergunned with the Federal Premium 180gr SJHP load for both though.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I use a Lee mold 255 grain cast bullet wide meplat of Lyman#2 alloy with 7.5 grains of Red Dot in my Vaquero, and feel I have a good mid range load. Next purchase will hopefully be a .45C lever--Henry or Rossi as of now.

My experience taught me that the old fashioned RNFP with about 15% meplat mid range load was not enough for 1st shot quick DRT on a 175# hog. While fatal based on blood loss, the shot behind the ear took too long for humane kill. The 2nd shot ended the grunting.

I have not yet used my Ranchdog 290 grain RNFPGC mold wide meplat, but I will soon.

rimrock
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

I would thank 38/357, 44/44 rem mag, 45ACP 45 long 410 in the S&W Governor + the 45-70/410 lever-rifle, also any of the 22 cal handguns/rifles. You can name the ammo?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Well heck-------------------
Since you guys are buying make mine a 500 S&W(420gr Belt Mountain Punch bullets)
(might need it in Africa ya know) :shock: or Giant Zombies

yep,and I will take it with
http://www.bighornarmory.com/products/rifle.php

and--

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.as ... =BFR500SW7

:mrgreen: :D

Otherwise:
Just a good hard cast 335gr in 45 Colt loading!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff wrote:
JohndeFresno wrote:If I decide to load both in .45 Colt for hunting, then I am looking at the pricey Barnes 225 grainer. Choices are limited, but I am considering around 20 grains of 2400, since I have it on the shelf. That lighter, faster round changes several things, and I have not yet really looked at that load, or audited its predicted pressures with QuickLoad.
Then I'd oscillate toward using the RCBS 45-225-CAV....what I consider to be a "middle-weight" .45 bullet...
Griff,

I didn't state that clearly. I would prefer hunting, plinking, shooting, etc. with a slower, heavier .45 round; but if I decide to hunt in the Condor Zone in my area then I must use those light all copper rounds; and in that case I'd reluctantly use the Barnes 225 grain round at a higher muzzle velocity to allow its lighter bullet to work effectively.

But the cast bullets I am considering are for range shooting, or hunting out of the Condor Zone, or even self defense; and especially for putting away right now for a "rainy day" when I won't really care what the gubbmint wants me to shoot, if we are in a big bind. I can't easily afford to stockpile Barnes bullets and other all copper components in the quantities desired.