The New Winchester's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

The New Winchester's

Post by KCSO »

I just finished another conversion on an 1886 Winchester that a customer wanted to shoot. Once again the gun misfired about every 10 -15 rounds straight out of the box, light primer hits from the rebounding hammer system. I wrote Winchester about this when the guns first came out and was told that the guns are all testfired at the factory and are perfect so it must be my ammo. Winchester has been fobbing this schlock off on folks for years. I sure would be upset to buy a NEW gun and pay $1400 and then have to spend more money to get it shooting. I won't order one of the new guns for a customer without specifing thaty it probably won't shoot from the box. This is a pretty sad state of affairs.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Re: The New Winchester's

Post by Grizzly Adams »

KCSO wrote:I just finished another conversion on an 1886 Winchester that a customer wanted to shoot. Once again the gun misfired about every 10 -15 rounds straight out of the box, light primer hits from the rebounding hammer system. I wrote Winchester about this when the guns first came out and was told that the guns are all testfired at the factory and are perfect so it must be my ammo. Winchester has been fobbing this schlock off on folks for years. I sure would be upset to buy a NEW gun and pay $1400 and then have to spend more money to get it shooting. I won't order one of the new guns for a customer without specifing thaty it probably won't shoot from the box. This is a pretty sad state of affairs.
Guns are kinda like a box of chocolates. :lol:

I have two new Winchesters :) , and neither has ever misfired. Just lucky I guess.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The thing is, they should not be like a box of chocolates. They should not vary in fit and function that much. Each and every one of them should fire each and ever time you pull the trigger. Period.
For Winchester/Browning to say their guns are good and the ammo is bad after this many years of of these guns not working right is a cop out.
The rebounding hammer action is a defective design from the git go. It only works "IF" each and every part is properly fit and smoothed out. It does not lend itself to mass production throw it together / ship it out type of manufacturing.

I bought one Winchester 94AE with the abominable rebounding hammer and tried to work with it. Could not. Got rid of the rebounding hammer action. I said then and I've kept to my word, I will never buy another one. At least the one I had would fire each and every time.

KCSO,

I'm surprised you'll even let one of them things in your shop.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:evil: My USRAC 1886EL does that :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BlaineG wrote::evil: My USRAC 1886EL does that :evil:
The "EL" must stand for "Extra Light" firing pin strike.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote:
BlaineG wrote::evil: My USRAC 1886EL does that :evil:
The "EL" must stand for "Extra Light" firing pin strike.

Joe
AND, it will not chamber an OAL that works fine on my Marlins :roll: I think this is one I'll hang on to, but send it to a Guru, and chop it to maybe 20" with all the goodies taken care of.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Grizzly Adams wrote:Guns are kinda like a box of chocolates. :lol:
If you buy good, quality chocolates, you know what you're going to get... I bought my wife a box of Russell Stover Cherry Cordial's... excellent... consistent... and delicious...

Yep... she shared with me!! :lol: :lol: :P :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

They are like a box of chocolate, from Whizzo Chocolate Co, open the box and you are going to puke. Crunchy Frog anyone!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Wouldn't want anyone to have a stroke! :lol: I didn't mean to suggest that I don't believe all new guns should be perfect out of the box. I do, but that is not the way it always happens with any companies wares! I am just saying that my personal experience with the New Winchesters is different than the OP! Your mileage my vary. :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thank You for posting this. I have said many times that the worst out of the box firearm I ever had was the USRAC-Win Legacy I bought 11 years ago.the rebounding hammer was the iceing on the cake...lately I have been drawn to the 86El by the low cost and the fact they are made by in Japan and should be much better. I am glad I spent My money on a Ruger no1 instead. same old bull*&^% from USRAC. :twisted: .
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have fooled with a few of those things and can tell you that one out of three is dependable. Not a good average. The Miroku Brownings, on the other hand, are absolutely dependable. The lawyer induced stuff that Winchester(?) sells are not worth half the asking. If CDNN hadn't had them for $599 I still would not own one. My next try will be to use original Winchester parts on one. Bolt, Lower tang, flat mainspring and hammer with fly should just about do it. I might just sacrifice a beater .33 to get it done. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Must be an anomoly to the 86's, my tang safetied rebounding hammer 95 has thousands of rounds thru it with out a single misfire.
I also have 2 rebounding hammer 94's and neither one of those has ever offered even a hint of a misfire.
Encountered two of the new 94's in 38-55 last year at two seperate levergun matches... it's to darn bad those things were going off like they were supposed to.... maybe somebody else could of won some prizes... :lol:
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

I have a 7x30 Waters that was made in the 80`s It has a rebounding hammer.
After close to 500 rounds all handloads, it started to misfire badly .
I tried a new spring,factory loads,and and finally replaced the breech block with a homemade one.
It was made to absolute minimun headspace. That solved my problem. Rebounding hammers are a pain, I have altered a few Japanese Winchesters with info obtained on this site, Thanks to those who shared the imformation.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

My 86EL had no light-strike problem while I owned it.
My two rebounding hammer New Haven 94s ditto. One in .45 Colt (sold) & the other in .30-30 (still have).
Worked with a .45 Colt 92 rebounder from Miroku last year, ran fine.

I'm not defending the design, just saying I'm not experiencing the problem.
Denis
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That's so funny 'cause I have a winc ranger 16" in .357 and it runs great with all the .357 ammo I've tried. And it's very accurate right out of the box. In spite of the rebounding hammer and the 27 pound valve-grinding-compound trigger pull. I guess I'll keep it after all.

And I've shot Blaine's EL and that gun puts bullets where the sight is every time too. And the trigger works good too.

At least 2 crippled hobbled up winchs work great in spite of the lawyer crapola.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:That's so funny 'cause I have a winc ranger 16" in .357 and it runs great with all the .357 ammo I've tried. And it's very accurate right out of the box. In spite of the rebounding hammer and the 27 pound valve-grinding-compound trigger pull. I guess I'll keep it after all.

And I've shot Blaine's EL and that gun puts bullets where the sight is every time too. And the trigger works good too.

At least 2 crippled hobbled up winchs work great in spite of the lawyer crapola.
I've had at least 4 FTF with slightly dimpled primers :cry:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:
Grizz wrote:That's so funny 'cause I have a winc ranger 16" in .357 and it runs great with all the .357 ammo I've tried. And it's very accurate right out of the box. In spite of the rebounding hammer and the 27 pound valve-grinding-compound trigger pull. I guess I'll keep it after all.

I've had at least 4 FTF with slightly dimpled primers :cry:
Phooeeie. That's less funny. My redhawk does that sometimes with double action fire... phooooeeey

Did a second strike ignite? Maybe pull the firing pin and clean the channel out?
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Blaine,
Stop using those cheap Chinese dimpled primers!
Denis
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I bought one Winchester 94AE with the abominable rebounding hammer and tried to work with it. Could not. Got rid of the rebounding hammer action. I said then and I've kept to my word, I will never buy another one.
That was my experience with a Win.94AE 30/30, mine would mis-fire every 6th or 7th shot (reloads and factory--didn't matter)...sent it back to USRA twice, they said they fixed it...no go...went down the road. Bought another Win.94AE recently (weak moment and the price was killer), but sold it for a profit...in the end didn't trust it (now I know that others have had good luck with the rebounding hammer design, but when it doesn't work it leaves a lasting impression), like my Marlin's and Rossi's more, even the REM-Marlin's... :)
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

What IS IT about these expensive Winchesters that don't work? Why are they held in such high esteem - just because of the history behind them?

I love my Marlins (336 Centennial in .30-30, 1895 .45-70). Affordable, reliable, and purty. I am really surprised that a big company like Winchester has such poor quality control and/or engineering for its iconic rifle. I really don't get it.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

"Winchester" isn't a big company.
It's actually not a company at all, just a brand name licensed to Browning for handling a number of guns for the parent FN company.
Denis
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

DPris wrote:"Winchester" isn't a big company.
It's actually not a company at all, just a brand name licensed to Browning for handling a number of guns for the parent FN company.
Denis
Thank you for that information, Denis.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

You are very welcome.
Denis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Denis,

Didn't Winchester stop being an autonomous company back in the 30s?

Joe
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

I don't know the date, but it ceased to exist as a stand-alone independent company a long time ago.

Olin had it for quite a while, sold it off in the '80s (kept the branding rights & the ammo side) to USRAC, USRAC changed hands a couple times, FN eventually ended up owning USRAC & toward the end of New Haven manufacture USRAC was only the plant, no longer a company in itself.

Now Olin licenses the brand to Browning so they can import Winchester branded guns from abroad & market those & others made at the FN plant in South Carolina.
Denis