Help with 38-40 barrel.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Help with 38-40 barrel.

Post by BenT »

I came across this Winchester barrel.

It's 22 inches long , still has bluing. The bore isn't bad but is pitted , more at the chamber end than the muzzle. Here is the questions. Can I use this barrel on a Rossi (thread pitch) ? How do you think it will shoot cast bullets? The guy wants a $100 and I'm not sure it's worth that , what do you think its worth?
Don McDowell

Re: Help with 38-40 barrel.

Post by Don McDowell »

I'ld imagine the Rossi has metric threads, so that barrel would need be cut off and rethreaded.
You can buy a brand new green mountain barrel for 165$
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm sure it will shoot. Unlike the small bores, the bigger bores don't mind a little pitting.

Fit? Like Don says, I think the Rossi's are metric, but its most likely a close thread match. Also, if the Rossi is a round barrel, some forend inletting, along with a barrel band change will be needed with the octagon Win. barrel. Then your going to have those unneeded dovetails in the Win. barrel.

Like Don say's again, you might just save yourself a lot of ag and buy a Green Mountain job.-----------Sixgun
Cool Stuff
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sixgun wrote:I'm sure it will shoot. Unlike the small bores, the bigger bores don't mind a little pitting. Like Don say's again, you might just save yourself a lot of ag and buy a Green Mountain job.-----------Sixgun
I'd probably save my chedddar until I could afford a better barrel or a new one like Jack said.
Old Law Dawg
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I've a '92 .38-40 with a bore like a sewer pipe, big giant pits… more like pot holes than pits. It shootswell enough if I use relatively soft lead bullets. Hard cast and jacketed shoot poorly.
Slow is just slow.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

It's 22 inches so it has been most likely bobbed, it's pitted and rough on the outside for $100??? I would say more like $50 on a good day. If I were going to rebarrel a Rossi I wouldn't start with trouble, go with a good barrel from the git go, the extra cost will be worth it in the end.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Thanks Gentlemen , I think I could get it for less . But I need to save money up to buy components so I can shoot the guns I have. So I'm going to pass on it . Wisconsin has a ton of Win 94's for a projetc, but old 92's I don't run across that often.