Controlling My Leveritis: Ask the Experts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Controlling My Leveritis: Ask the Experts

Post by Beaker »

Ok experts, what say you? It is apparant that the more I fall into shooting habit that it is getting more and more expensive for centerfire ammo. Therefore, I am considering starting to reloading to help manage my addiction.

My question is what do you recommend for a starter reloading kit and what pitfalls to avoid when purchasing equipment. For example are the basic balances good enough or is it worth buying a better balance and do they offer balances calibrated in grams (metric) or is everything published for reloading data still in grains and drams, etc. What are good reloader brands to consider and which to stay away from. What do I not need and what do I need for acceseries when starting up reloading on a budget. Are commercial tables good or should I build my own?

Thank you all for your help and input when spending my hard earned dollars.

:mrgreen:

Oh yes, I plan on reloading for .38spl, 357 magnum and 30/30 then later will start reloading 9x19mm parabellum and .308 winchester or 5.56x51mm NATO.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Controlling My Leveritis: Ask the Experts

Post by shooter »

This topic has been touched on many times here, and you will get many differing opinions, but here's mine. I would start out with a Lee kit. That's what I did, and it has served me very well. It comes with everything but powder, dies, brass, and primers. I would recommend getting a nicer balance beam scale. The one that comes in the kit isn't very good. You can get a lot fancier and add equipment as time goes on, but I still use the Lee powder measure and hand priming tool for when I prime off the press. This kit is on Midway for $117 - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744 ... -press-kit

I like Lee dies, especially the factory crimp die for rifles. RCBS dies are good as well, and some like them a lot better. You can't go wrong with RCBS, but for the money I believe Lee is superb, especially for someone just starting out. RCBS puts out a similar kit but it costs over twice as much. Their press is beefier and probably of better quality, but the Lee will last a lifetime if not abused and will handle just about any cartridge.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What Shooter Said.

Main thing is just get SOMETHING (it's not like ANY of the stuff out there is bad), and get started.

Have a buddy who reloads come over and help you IF you have one who actually knows how to do it, vs. just likes to be a know-it-all. Failing that, just read lots of loading manuals, stick to moderate loads, and triple-check everything.

Don't hesitate to post specific questions here, either - we'll try to help you benefit from the mistakes we've already made.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I just had a item that's new to me pointed out:
Here is a way to start and you can build on it as $$$ allow.
http://www.dillonpre...50_Basic_Loader
Good luck,
The BL 550 is essentially an RL550B without the automatic priming and powder systems. Capable of loading more than 160 calibers- just like the RL550B- it uses any manufacturers' standard 7/8"-14 reloading dies. It's priced comparably with other manufacturers' turret presses; yet unlike them, it's fully upgradeable to Dillon's Progressive RL550B loader!
The interchangeable toolhead makes it quick, easy and inexpensive to change calibers. For example, if you load 30-06 for elk, .243 for deer and .22-250 for coyote, you don't even have to change the shellplate. You simply pull two pins and swap the toolhead with your 30-06 dies to another toolhead with your .22-250 or .243 dies in less than 30 seconds! The additional toolheads are $20.95 each, or $18.95 each if you buy three or more- if you load for several rifles it's a no-brainer! Once you get your dies set you'll never have to re-set them.
A powder measure adapter is available if you want to use a manual measure that you already own. Or, if you want to weigh every powder charge you load, it's easy- you can use a powder trickler with the powder die/ funnel assembly that comes with the BL550.

Reloading dies and caliber conversion kit are sold separately- order RL550B caliber conversion kits.
The nice thing about the Dillon 550 is that you can use anyone's dies. Both of my 550Bs were acquired with .38Spl/.357 dies and I use my RCBS, Lyman or Redding dies I already had on hand.

If you're not shooting enough to justify a progressive right off the bat... well... this unit sure seems to fill that bill, and if you increase your shooting to where a progressive seems cost effective... you already made the initial investment.

Your major investment in reloading should be in education and reloading manuals. The more you spend there (TIME & MONEY) will repay you in safe reloads for years to come.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I started with Lee Precision stuff almost 32 years ago, and still use their reloading gear. Heck, I still have the stuff I started with and still use it!

If I was starting fresh today, it would either be Lee Precision, or Dillon.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Griff wrote:I just had a item that's new to me pointed out:
Here is a way to start and you can build on it as $$$ allow.
http://www.dillonpre...50_Basic_Loader
Good luck,
The BL 550 is essentially an RL550B without the automatic priming and powder systems. Capable of loading more than 160 calibers- just like the RL550B- it uses any manufacturers' standard 7/8"-14 reloading dies. It's priced comparably with other manufacturers' turret presses; yet unlike them, it's fully upgradeable to Dillon's Progressive RL550B loader!
The interchangeable toolhead makes it quick, easy and inexpensive to change calibers. For example, if you load 30-06 for elk, .243 for deer and .22-250 for coyote, you don't even have to change the shellplate. You simply pull two pins and swap the toolhead with your 30-06 dies to another toolhead with your .22-250 or .243 dies in less than 30 seconds! The additional toolheads are $20.95 each, or $18.95 each if you buy three or more- if you load for several rifles it's a no-brainer! Once you get your dies set you'll never have to re-set them.
A powder measure adapter is available if you want to use a manual measure that you already own. Or, if you want to weigh every powder charge you load, it's easy- you can use a powder trickler with the powder die/ funnel assembly that comes with the BL550.

Reloading dies and caliber conversion kit are sold separately- order RL550B caliber conversion kits.
The nice thing about the Dillon 550 is that you can use anyone's dies. Both of my 550Bs were acquired with .38Spl/.357 dies and I use my RCBS, Lyman or Redding dies I already had on hand.

If you're not shooting enough to justify a progressive right off the bat... well... this unit sure seems to fill that bill, and if you increase your shooting to where a progressive seems cost effective... you already made the initial investment.

Your major investment in reloading should be in education and reloading manuals. The more you spend there (TIME & MONEY) will repay you in safe reloads for years to come.
And, after you've gotten the hang of it and upgraded your BL 550 to a full up 550B, you'll have a great press that will give you years of trouble free service. Should you get the itch to upgrade your Dillon press will sell all day for 80% of the then current price so upgrading isn't painful. I ran over 70,000 rds through my 550B when the call of a casefeeder for rifle loads got the best of me and I upgraded to a Dillon XL650 with casefeeder. However, be forewarned. Handloading can become extremely addictive. There are many of us that started to handload so that we could shoot more, however, we're now wondering if we shoot more just so we can handload!!

Another warning is appropriate too. Like firearms, you'll likely start off small to save money, however, as you save money on ammo, you'll realize that new calibers and new firearms are fun and inexpensive to handload for so you'll find it easy to add to your collection. Before you know it, you find that you've got 10-15 calibers you're handloading for and a ton of reloading equipment but you can honestly justify the equipment costs by the savings in ammo over commercially priced fodder.

Also, if you find that you're handloading for you and your kids, you'll be drawn to more equipment to speed up the process. You'll find that you're buying components in lots of 5-10K rds worth at a time because you see the cheaper deals when buying in bulk. You'll find that you'll want a faster, smoother machine like I did, especially if you handload lots of rifle calibers. The cost of all this will mount but you'll still be able to justify the equipment because of the ammo savings.

Before you know it, you'll end up with a setup like mine here below that's got a replacement value of just over $4,000. Even at that price, the wife agrees that it's a great investment because of the savings I've realized in ammo costs. Currently, I've handloaded just under 180,000 rds in the last 11 years and my records of component costs vs inexpensive commercial ammo show that my handloaded ammo averages 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of the bargain basement cost commercial ammo and my handloads are anything but cheap. I've paid for my handloading equipment many, many times over and it's slated to go to my son when I give up handloading some day.

Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Steve, that is one beautiful setup and so neat and organized! :mrgreen:
cable
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

hfcable wrote:Steve, that is one beautiful setup and so neat and organized! :mrgreen:
I'd have that place torn up in no time. :D
Old Law Dawg
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I've said it many times before, my setup is in our finished basement and my wife is emphatic when she says, "It's clean or it's gone!!" After 39 years the correct (and only) response is "Yes dear!!"
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Steve, all I can say is Wow. 8)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Beaker, with your caliber choices, i'd agree with the others who said to start with a Dillon. You won't need it so much for heavy rifle calibers (unless your a masochist), but the pistol calibers and the 5.56 / 308 stuff generally gets used up pretty fast ---

trying to load a case of 5.56 with a single stage press takes awhile
----- Doug
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

TURRET Press - there are several on the market, but I chose Lee Classic and couldn't be happier. Guess maybe I'm just a contrarian.

Oh yes, want to add that I also had a Dillon 550B with all the goodies (except the more ridiculous add ons) and absolutely HATED it. Loaded maybe 200 or so .223 cartridges, maybe 350-400 .45 acp's and promply went back to a single stage press and left the "blue" monster to gather dust on my bench. A couple of years later, boxed all of it back up during a move. Arrived at the new homestead and the stupid Dillon resided on it's box for another 5 years. Finally took it to a gun show when we had a table and sold it. Never so happy to get rid of something in my life! Blue? ...never again!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

For what it is worth:
-- First thing a new or potential Reloader should do is buy the Lyman #49 Reloading Manual. It will walk you through the reloading process step-by-step, as well as a worthwhile and valuable source for data on bullets, primers, powder, etc. Cost about US $25.00.

-- Carefully think about how much you want to spend, then how much you can really afford to spend vis-à-vis how much reloading you will do. Reloading can get expensive very fast if you are not careful. Seen way too many Shooters/Reloaders who have a bench full of “stuff” that they hardly ever use and/or do not really need.

-- As for a balance, it does not pay to buy a cheap/inexpensive balance. When loading, you need to depend upon an accurate balance. The old Tried and True beam type balance is very accurate. The new electronic scales are susceptible to heat/cold and air currents. Most need a warm up period and must be kept of out drafts or inaccurate readings will occur.

I do use a PACT electronic scale for when I check cast bullet weights. In that instance, it is far faster than a beam balance.

-- A set of check weights to periodically check the balance accuracy is also advised.

For ‘zample’, I have an approximately 25 year old RCBS 10-10 beam balance that serves me well. Last year, it was re-built -- without charge -- as it gave some inaccurate weights. Checked it with my check weights and it was off.

-- For pistol, I have a Dillon that I bought back in 1989. ‘Dunno’ how many rounds it has seen and it has not given me any trouble. As for my rifle calibres, I utilize a Redding T-7 press. I found it more convenient for my reloading style than the old RCBS Rock Chucker press.

-- At the gun shows, I occasionally see used reloading equipment. I am leery of such as you have no idea how much use and abuse it has seen. Know a few guys who bought pre-owned equipment to save a buck and what they bought was sub-standard from over use and abuse. I would not buy pre-owned equipment unless I knew who had it and had knowledge of how he treated his equipment.

-- Start looking on all the World Wide Wait -- AKA Internet -- sites such as Midway, Graf and Sons, Mid-South, etc., for an idea of prices. Sometimes your local dealers or gun show discount price, really is not….

Addendum:
-- An accurate and reliable 6” dial vernier calipers is a ‘gawd-send‘ for measuring cases, bullets, etc. A dial vernier is not hard to read. I have a Mituyoyo and a Starrett that I swear by. Mine have ‘nevva’ failed me and always work as there are no batteries to drain and do not have any electronic innards to worry about if dropped.

See also this recent thread:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 00&start=0
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Another Question: Experts, what do you think of the Hornady Lock and Load System. Is it really an advantage when setting up dies or is it all just more marketing hype?? :?:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Beaker unless you start with inexpensive Lee products you should be committed to reloading !

By the time you set yourself up with what you'll need to do a decent job with even a single stage loader and all the other stuff you'll have a rather large investment you could have just bought ammunition with .

Another thing lots of folks fail to mention to new reloaders is the fact that iof you keep messing with loads and changing bullets powders primers etc you don't really save money because you buy more stuff for more variables . And even when one makes their own cast bullets the savings is not one would think it to be . Now on the other hand if a person enjoys casting and or loading it's one of THE most settling or calming things I do .

I hope you do get invloved in loading etc but realize to use it anyway as an economic thing you have to be committed for the long haul and by that I don't just mean 100 rounds a month or so .

I think at my largest point I had dies etc for maybe 65 different cartridges , now I'm back down to a more reasonable number of 30 or so . I used to love loading for each and every lever action cartridge Marlin ever made a rifle for . Now I've toned that down to three and a buncha bolt and single shot rifle cartridges !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

As far as 'metric vs. grains', just use a spreadsheet or calculator to print up a conversion table. List the Grams which are equivalent to Grains from 1-10, and vice versa. Then if you need a 46.2 grain load, whatever the readings are for 2, 4, and 6 are, multiply by 0.1, 10, and 1, respectively then add them, and you have the grams needed.

A useful table, though you won't need it very often, most likely.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

A good way to start reloading is by reading a couple books. "The ABCs of Reloading" and "Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Handbook" The ABCs is a great text explaining all the aspects of reloading and the equipment needed (I keep mine handy for refrence even after 20+ years of reloading) and the Lyman manual has a very good "how to" section plus load data. If you ask 10 reloaders what is the best equipment, you may get 20 opinions (you can get a lot of arguements about single stage vs turret, vs progressive and "best" manufacturer, et al). Read these books and you'll get a good idea of what equipment suits your reloading needs.

I started with a Lee Loader, 1 lb. of Bullseye, 100 CCI primers (I only bought them 100 at a time back then), some generic lead bullets and 100 cases (50 of which I found on the ground at the range). Oh yeah, and a yellow plastic mallet. This setup kept me in ammo for several months and taught me what every step of reloading did and why...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Due to whats supported in my area the Hornyday and the Rock Chucker systems are the two front runner systems now. Does anyone have any comments on the Lock and Load system, is it really a time saver, how often do you have to reset your dies or make adjustments with it?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

COSteve wrote:I've said it many times before, my setup is in our finished basement and my wife is emphatic when she says, "It's clean or it's gone!!" After 39 years the correct (and only) response is "Yes dear!!"
Which explains why you are going on 40 years of marriage to the same person and I am TWICE divorced already :lol:

I think soon to be wife number three will hopefully be a little more easy to get along with in that respect . Plus at this point in my life I'm alot more willing to "give in" to her :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Beaker wrote:Due to whats supported in my area the Hornyday and the Rock Chucker systems are the two front runner systems now. Does anyone have any comments on the Lock and Load system, is it really a time saver, how often do you have to reset your dies or make adjustments with it?
Once you have all your dies set and the locking rings tightened I see no big deal to screwing them in and out .

I use two presses for rifle/pistol cartridges at this time . The first that hasn't been mentioned here is a Ponsness Warren Metallic II which they call semi progressive I believe . My other press is a CH-4D that looks very similar to a Rockchucker but it's large enough for the 505 Gibbs dies . I have no great problem using either and if I shot huge amounts of one load alot I'd have no percieved problems using any of the Dillon Progressive presses .

To me the lock and load thing Hornady is pushing isn't necessary unless a person loads a couple hours each day . Also with the Dillon's sure it's nice to have all your die sets on seperate headers as Steve does . But if it were me I'd hesitate to spend the money and just change dies in the one head each time .
I would however like to have one of those Dillon powered case trimmer thingy's Steve has !
When I was shooting alot of lever silhouette I had thoughts of getting one just for the 30-30 and 32-20 but never did .