45-70 Pet Loads - Ken Waters Download

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

45-70 Pet Loads - Ken Waters Download

Post by JohndeFresno »

I pulled this off the Internet as a free "Partial" download of the May-June 1974 issue of Handloader Magazine (Issue 49); so it is legal to share this excellent load resource from Mr. Waters!

You can download the searchable PDF article, "45-70 Pet Loads" by Ken Waters from my archives at:
http://www.box.com/s/c7b8c07ac012565fb110

Once again - enjoy!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 45-70 Pet Loads - Ken Waters Download

Post by FWiedner »

Thanks!

That's a great article.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Great artical, book marked it, and why the 45-70 has been my favorite for many years.
45 grains of 3031 and 405 FN bullet. :) fired in modern 1895 Marlin, Browning 1886 or Pedersoli Sharps.
Thanks
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks John! :D No serious guncrank should be without Ken's book, "Pet Loads". Its as thick as a telephone book with a wealth of knowledge.----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Sixgun wrote:Thanks John! :D No serious guncrank should be without Ken's book, "Pet Loads". Its as thick as a telephone book with a wealth of knowledge.----------Sixgun
As always, y'all are very welcome. This site continues to keep me entertained and informed with excellent contributions, so I feel compelled to do what I can to keep things interesting.

Sixgun, that book is PRICEY - usually listed over $100.00. But I have heard so much about it, and am so impressed with the .45-70 article, that I decided to take your advice and look again for a used copy.

I just found a "Used - Good Condition" paperback copy offered at Amazon by a well documented, highly rated seller: $35.00. The order was placed, and I am looking forward to this great reference.

I just recently ordered a reprint of "Sixguns" by Elmer Keith, also after having seen so many posts about it as posted on this site. It is another great, must-have book for gun lovers, hunters, law enforcement, reloaders, and shooters.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I do have the book, but he screwed up big time when he put the Marlin 1895(336) in the "Very Strong" category and the 1886 Winchester in the "Moderately Strong" class. It should be the other way around. Even the late model originals have it all over the modern Marlin.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Article is 38 years old.

Don
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Thanks, John!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

First .45-70 was my Guide Gun, and I was over 40 years old. I waited a long time to learn just how much fun that cartridge is. Thanks for the load info.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Mike D. wrote:I do have the book, but he screwed up big time when he put the Marlin 1895(336) in the "Very Strong" category and the 1886 Winchester in the "Moderately Strong" class. It should be the other way around. Even the late model originals have it all over the modern Marlin.
+1

I've used the "Keith Load" in half a dozen 45-70's (Marlin, Sharps, Winnies and Bullards) over the last 30 years with nary a bobble.
The cases fall out, primers nicely rounded and accuracy to lie about.
Moose fear me with this load.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Mike D. wrote:I do have the book, but he screwed up big time when he put the Marlin 1895(336) in the "Very Strong" category and the 1886 Winchester in the "Moderately Strong" class. It should be the other way around. Even the late model originals have it all over the modern Marlin.
For what it is worth - yes -
Ken Waters' Pet Loads, Third Edition, Page 477 (The section on .45-70)

Listed in "Group II Moderately Strong":
Winchester 1886 Repeater
Marlin 1895 (Original)
...and others

Listed in "Group III Very Strong":
Ruger No. 1 S. S.
Ruger No. 3 S. S.
Marlin 1895 (new)
...and others

So... if tests have proven that the Winchester 1886 is stronger than the new Marlin 1895, you have a point. I don't know, since I favor the side ejection and fair price of the Marlins and have not looked into the very pricey Winchesters.

I now have the book. I was very fortunate, since my issue appears to be a brand new book in its perfect condition and defies the description of "used." I purchased it for $35 as stated above (versus over $40 or more "new" paperback version) from an Amazon reseller. There are other used issues at (for instance):
http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Waters-Pet-Lo ... B001Z239IC

I am truly amazed at the depth of coverage for all of the calibers in the book - and there are many, including many old levergun calibers that many folks have never heard of. Having read through a few of the many rounds and hundreds of loads offered in this book, I would not hesitate paying $40-50 of my limited amount of cash for this great work - "old" or not!

And even if the new powders are not represented, there is enough information on most of the powders I use to amaze and amuse me for quite some time. A "fer instance" on the .45-70 loadings touches on one of the rifle powders that I have used for some loads - IMR 4198 - and another one that I had considered but didn't use for this caliber - IMR 3031:

Page 487 - "Typical of large bore straight case cartridges, 4198 has also proven useful in another and totally different respect. As a propellant for use with cast bullets in reduced loads it is unexcelled, and it may also be utilized with care in the preparation of low-to-moderate pressure jacketed bullet loadings for rifles of Groups I & II. Thus, it too is versatile but because pressures build more rapidly than with 3031, users of 4198 should exercise the utmost caution."

Now, there are several here who know this, who had the benefit of experimenting, reloading and shooting various calibers since they were 4 1/2 years old - or whatever. I, for one, have not been so privileged, even though I started shooting a limited number of calibers in my teens. "Life," "the Service," and then family and career took precedence, and I didn't participate in the joys of handloading until my hair started turning gray. So go easy on us guys - you more experienced curmudgeons! - if we want to learn from the experts in addition to experimenting on our own! There is no way that I can accumulate the gun lore contained in this book on my own - unless I live well into triple digit years and have the health to continue shooting!

The book is not only full of great technical data and loads - it give you a great view into the development, uses, and anecdotes behind so many firearms and loads. All 636 pages of this large format book!
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Thank you :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Pete and y'all - you are quite welcome!

And Mike D., I see where this forum has posted quite plainly that the Winnie is clearly stronger than the Marlin, which includes your earlier post:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=21922