MOVIES - Act Of Valor

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

MOVIES - Act Of Valor

Post by MrMurphy »

I saw it tonight after prompting from some fellow veterans.

It is well worth seeing.

Also..... the wives and kids in the movie are the actual wives and kids of the actual SEALs in the movie. Apparently when they go downrange some of the kids thought daddy really was going away again and it was a tough shoot.

I never did anything quite as high speed as they did/do, but there were a few scenes in the movie that brought back some memories. Had the shakes for a minute or two coming out of the theater remembering some close calls.
Ysabel Kid

Re: Act Of Valor

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I wanted to see it this weekend, but had too many other commitments between Scouts and work.

I'd like to take Y2K to see it. He's almost 14. Any issues/worries?

Thanks for your service to our beloved country!
Hobie

Re: MOVIES - Act Of Valor

Post by Hobie »

Every veteran I've spoken to who has seen it was positive about it. I have heard that it is all live fire as well.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I have to laugh at the film critics. One wrote it is okay, but they didn't develope the characters enough and should have used professional actors. He did admit to the action and reality of it. Kind of proves what critics want, not the truth, real life, rather some nice person and tree huggers can like. I haven't seen this one yet but I find when a critic pans a film it is usually worth watching. Sure hope it awakens a lot of people to the life these troops live through. ATB
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

They are SEALs, and they talk like men do in those situations. If your 14 yr old has a problem with cussing, that's about it.

Some people obviously getting shot, and one person getting tortured (nothing really shown, but you can tell they got smacked around by the enemy).

I've seen far worse in action movies.

If he's seen Black Hawk Down or Saving Private Ryan (for that matter, Band of Brothers) it's actually 'cleaner'.

They didn't do live fire, and there's some things in the movie not done like they really do (not much with suppressed weapons, lack of grenade launchers and they use visible lasers) mostly for effect. But otherwise, it's excellent.

There is a point in the movie where there's a very close call with a blue-on-blue (one team almost shoots the other clearing an objective). I had a night like that once in 2006 where the majority of my unit was clearing our most highly restricted area due to alarm failures, one of my fire team thought we motioned clear left when we cleared right, i came around cover, saw a muzzle and a head where nothing should be and nearly shot him. Finger was on the trigger and i hit him with my surefire (mounted whitelight)....it was...split second. I saw a friendly helmet and recognized his face or it would have been all over. As it was a 'scramble' about half of us weren't in uniform, just threw armor and gear on over whatever, so if i'd just seen regular clothing, nobody would have faulted me for lighting up a possible terrorist.

That and a few other times in that movie......yeah, i got the shakes.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Definitely got to see Act of Valor. Can't wait.

I really appreciate you veterans telling some of your own experiences. You put it all on the line and I'm sure I speak for most of us here by saying Thank you for your service and valor protecting our lives and our freedom. Words cannot describe what gratitude we have towards all of this country's many veterans.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
turnkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by turnkey »

I liked it. I think it was much more authentic than almost anything I've seen come out of Hollywood.
"Every day a holiday, every meal a feast, every paycheck a treasure."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've heard really good things about it. Look forward to seein' it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
SMOKE JENSEN
Levergunner

Post by SMOKE JENSEN »

I saw it on Saturday and it was very good,even my wife liked it. I hate to disagree with MrMurphy, but everything I read on the making of the movie and all the write ups on the trailers. Except for the scenes where someone is killed, everything else was live fire, as alot of the fight scenes were Seal training, that they were allowed to film.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Modified training, they did do some things differently.

The boat extraction definitely looked live. I've fired a minigun and been a machine gunner, it looked real.

Some of the scenes they may have done live fire, some not....it's hard to say.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

It was a great film. I'm liberal, but I had to shake my head at some of the stupid reviews in the press. I guess they are so used to bad action sequences, the couldn't recognize the real thing.

The gunboat mini gun scene was hair raising. Not to give it away, but I wanted to jump up and cheer.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I haven't seen the movie yet but questioned the part about active Seals playing the movie. I'm surprised an active duty Seal would want to have his face plastered all over the big screen.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Haven't seen it yet, but they did use more actual Navy personel than just SEALS. My son in law is some scenes also with small part.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Irelander wrote:Definitely got to see Act of Valor. Can't wait.

I really appreciate you veterans telling some of your own experiences. You put it all on the line and I'm sure I speak for most of us here by saying Thank you for your service and valor protecting our lives and our freedom. Words cannot describe what gratitude we have towards all of this country's many veterans.

Same here.

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

The wife and I are really looking forward to watching Act of Valor. Will be awhile, but we do have it saved in our Nexflix "Saved Discs" Queue. Takes some time for new releases to make it to the "Disk Queue". That's alright though as we've learned to be pretty patient during the wait for newer releases. Thanks for all the good reviews posted here.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Just saw it today. Thought it was very good. Very gritty/well done. Heads up: If you've got a big screen/multiplex near you, with other movies coming in Friday, tomorrow will be the last day on the biggest in some--if an issue to you. Still should be on decent screens, just not the biggest. Regardless, it should be on *some* big screen for awhile yet--but don't wait too long. I've already "assumed" once too many this year.

+1 Guys and gals, thank you for your service. You are all the very best.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

JB wrote:I haven't seen the movie yet but questioned the part about active Seals playing the movie. I'm surprised an active duty Seal would want to have his face plastered all over the big screen.
That's the part I don't get. The SF guys I knew made sure they weren't in any pics or film footage when local reporters came in to do local interest stories.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

marlinman93 wrote:Haven't seen it yet, but they did use more actual Navy personel than just SEALS. My son in law is some scenes also with small part.
Just saw it today, momma didn't want to see it as our son is one of the SEALS. You know how mothers can be. She knows he has been in the trade for over a decade and she would prefer not to know the details. He is in both daylight jumps and operating one of the boats in the PI. The SEALS mugs are always concealed, the jumpers with the O2 masks and operators with googles, scarfs, etc. They simply provided a level of technical correctness to the film. I'm glad they showed the SE Asia, Central America connection to terrorism through the drug trade. It is very real.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Griff wrote:I've heard really good things about it. Look forward to seein' it.
I can't wait. And how cool is that, that there are people on here with family in the film. May God look over and protect those in harms way.
Old Law Dawg
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

kimwcook wrote:
Griff wrote:I've heard really good things about it. Look forward to seein' it.
I can't wait. And how cool is that, that there are people on here with family in the film. May God look over and protect those in harms way.
8) yepper 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Took Y2K to see it last Sunday. Awesome flick! Thank God for men like our Navy SEALS!!!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Great flix, saw it yesterday.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

More than movies, I like books. Just finished reading it. (Tho' I'll still see it on the screen). Awesome. Brought back too many memories... good and a couple of bad. Ranch Dog, thank your son for me. VN era here, and glad to have been there and done that... loved swimming in the rivers and the ocean, hated anything to do with the land... very different focus... glad I didn't have to face what our guys have to face now... and ever SO thankful they're there to stand in for us.

We may not be perfect, but we're better than anyplace else! (Couple of VERY close second places tho')! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!