Mannlicher Schoenauer price check. (pics)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Mannlicher Schoenauer price check. (pics)

Post by WCF3030 »

I have in my possession a model 1950 Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine in 6.5x54
It has a 4x Unertl and hinged mount see pics.
I would really like to keep this one but I would like some info on it and worth.
Thanks

That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Re: Mannlicher Schoenauer price check. (pics)

Post by WCF3030 »

Did a little investigating myself. I knew these were nice rifles but some of the prices I am seeing are high.

The action on this thing is outstanding, smoothest I have ever cycled and if the scope is as old the rifle it is crystal clear and does not act like a 60 year old scope.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Back in the mid 1950's my family lived in north central Michigan. A friend I went to school with missed a nice buck with his shotgun one Saturday morning. He came to my stand and said he was going to town and buy a rifle. Within an hour he was back with a rifle just like that without the scope. He killed a deer the next day with it. An absolutly beautiful little rifle. I think you should adopt it now.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Unfortuneately for you, this is one of the "bad ones" Real lemons. I will give you $50 for it and shipping. Sorry, I know that is not want you wanted to hear, but I will take it off your hands for you.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm positive that I'd have NP, tuning it over for at least $2K, quickly.

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

here is one for 1450$ but yours is a more desirable caliber:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/MANNIC ... =100228962
cable
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Them stocks are funky.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I bought a 1961 MCA that was made in 1963 about 3 years ago for $1100 . About 3 years before that we got a MS Model 1908 in 8x56MS for $800 . And both of these guns were in very nice shape .

Week before last I had a MS Model 1903 in my hands that was very nice and I appraised it at $1,750 . It woulda been higher but it had a couple extra holes .
The one you have pics of is of a later model but I would still value it at $1,750-1,900 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Thanks for the input.
I had a good feeling that it was a good investment at $550 plus 80 rounds of ammo, just did not know how good.
I'm already in love with it though and I'm going to kick in some overtime hours to hold onto it.
Now I just need some dies and 160gr bullets and......

WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Marlin32 wrote:Unfortuneately for you, this is one of the "bad ones" Real lemons. I will give you $50 for it and shipping. Sorry, I know that is not want you wanted to hear, but I will take it off your hands for you.
You always meet the nicest people on this site. :mrgreen:

Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

If you get a chance you may want to pop over to accuratereloading.com forum and do a search in the forums there,, a couple of the guys in the big bore and double rifle threads collect them.

Last one I had was a 9.3x57 with Selous side plates straight irons sights with a pop up tang peep. it left my house 2 years ago for $2700 and the collector didn't bat an eye, they bring big money at every show I have seen out here, especially the ones prior to Stayer taking over
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When you get ready to load for that rifle try the Nosler 125 grain Partition and the Hornady 129 grain SP . Both of those shoot well in my little 260 REM and are excellent deer killers .
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

WCF3030 wrote:Thanks for the input.
I had a good feeling that it was a good investment at $550 plus 80 rounds of ammo, just did not know how good.
I'm already in love with it though and I'm going to kick in some overtime hours to hold onto it.
:mrgreen: I was just moderately jealous as I wouldn't pay $1500 for one a few months back but, $550! :shock: :mrgreen: Jeez.... I am happy for you. I really am. Honest... :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Hobie wrote:
:mrgreen: I was just moderately jealous as I wouldn't pay $1500 for one a few months back but, $550! :shock: :mrgreen: Jeez.... I am happy for you. I really am. Honest... :mrgreen:

me too :mrgreen: +1
cable
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations, she's pretty. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Mescalero wrote:Them stocks are funky.
They are an aquired taste --- i didnt like them either until i met a gentleman who had some kind of a Euro fetish --- he had a safe full of slick Euro guns ---
I immediately grew to like the butterknife bolt handles, full length stocks and hammer forged barrels. -- less desirable were the proprietary scope mount systems every manufacturer seemed to use

WCF, you stole it for $550 , i'd keep it :D
----- Doug
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Hobie wrote:
Last time I came across this kind of deal I made the mistake of selling a certain 30/40 Krag. :wink:
Not this time. 8)

WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

6pt-sika wrote:When you get ready to load for that rifle try the Nosler 125 grain Partition and the Hornady 129 grain SP . Both of those shoot well in my little 260 REM and are excellent deer killers .
I spent sometime looking up loads and bullets last night. Both of your suggestions came up a couple times, so did the Hornady 160gr.
Regardless most anything out of that 6.5x54 seems to be death for deer.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

6.5's are death on just about anything...................................... 8)

I've been hunting w/them for over 45 years, and would respectfully suggest loading with a boolit that's heavy for the caliber, aka: 159/160gr, unless yer goin' groundhoggin'.

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

For $550 that rifle was put into your hands through DIvine Providence. You were obviously meant to have it and bad things may befall you if you sell it for a profit.

What a beauty!!
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Something you'll notice is that those 155 to 160gr round nose bullets feed a lot easier than the smaller spire points. At least that's what I learned with mine. I've got one imported through the old Von Lengerke & Antoine Chicago sporting goods store that love the 140gr hornady's but you really have to work the bolt to get it to feed.

If you ever want to use the Lyman swing away peep sight instead of the scope, I've got an extra one made for the 1950 and newer Mannlicher Schoenauers.

-Terry
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Would you happen to have a pic of that sight.

Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

I took another look at it, and it may be the Lyman no. 36 for models 1952 and later.

Sorry, my mistake.
Last edited by Walker on Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Great looking rifles guys. My father gave me a sporterized 1903/14 Greek MS that someone converted to look like these commercial models. It too is in 6.5X54MS. I scrounged the brass and reload for it with the 160 grainers. My lover for the Mannlichers is the reason I bought a Ruger RSI many years back!

Walker......I have never seen that particular sight. I wonder if one like that would fit the old military version? I once pondered trying to scope mine but the options were so limited I scrapped that idea.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

From what I've read, the early model Lyman fit short action Mannlicher models 1903, 1905, 1908, 1910, and also fit the Greek military M-S M1903/14 as well as the Rumanian M1893 and Dutch Mannlicher M1895 turnbolt rifles. The next version fit the model 1924 through 1950, and the last version fit the models 1952, 1961, and MCA.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Walker wrote:From what I've read, the early model Lyman fit short action Mannlicher models 1903, 1905, 1908, 1910, and also fit the Greek military M-S M1903/14 as well as the Rumanian M1893 and Dutch Mannlicher M1895 turnbolt rifles. The next version fit the model 1924 through 1950, and the last version fit the models 1952, 1961, and MCA.

Hey if you have one that'll fit the Model 1908 I might be intrested !

My 1908 8x56MS is missing one of the leaves from the rear sight . So that would be just the ticket !
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Walker wrote:I took another look at it, and it may be the Lyman no. 36 for models 1952 and later.

Sorry, my mistake.
Not a problem. Nice looking sight and rifle!!

Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

6pt-sika, I wish I did. I've got the one that's on my 1903, a spare base for the same, and the last version that fits the 1952 through the MCA. Thought it would fit WCF3030's new find, but I was wrong.

WCF3030, that's an excellent deal you got. Everyone wants the carbine in 6.5x54 and you've already got the scope setup. Mine has the 23 inch barrel and 3 years ago I paid $1350 for it without the peep sight.