Opions on Henry Golden Boy .22lr

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Opions on Henry Golden Boy .22lr

Post by TCB in TN »

Have a chance to buy a Henry Golden Boy .22lr, seems like a decent deal, not NIB, but very close and is priced at $300. Won't come down much but maybe a few bucks. I have shot the plain Henry and they seem pretty decent shooters, but haven't really seen or talked to anyone about the Golden Boys. I am a big 39a guy and so am critical of about anything else, but it seems like a decent deal. Or is it just a waste of time?
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Re: Opions on Henry Golden Boy .22lr

Post by jkbrea »

I bought one last year from a forum member for my 12 yr. old son. He loves it but I think I shoot it more. It has a very slick and smooth action and is a blast to shoot. I say go for it. That's a fair price.
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

I have one and it shoots well. I don't regret buying it. If it is like new, then the price seems fair.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

I've been thinking about getting one (next year) myself. I have had one question about them though; I haven't found any info that tells me what "brasslite' (sp?) is for sure. One place said it was zinc or alloy or pot metal that has been brass plated. I'd hate to spend that amount of money on something that actually is brass plated pot metal.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

They're a pain in the butt to load/unload through the front of the loading tube. Do yourself and your son a favor and get a Ruger 10/22 or find a good used Ruger 96/22 in .22LR. Much better rifles than the Henry and the Ruger 96/22 is a lever to boot. Both the Rugers load via a detachable 10-round rotary magazine.
ED
Yer never too old
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

The Henry holds 60% more ammo than a 10 round Ruger and over 100% more in short rifle ammo. I'm not into speed, but you can preload speedloader tubes if it bothers you. Pull out the plunger, drop in 16 rounds out of the speedloader, push the plunger back in, and you are ready to go.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

TCB,

There is a local gun shop that has a Henry Golden Boy .22. It looks sharp but I haven't handled it.
I've had my Win 9422 since 1977 and I rarely shoot it, so buying another .22 Rifle is kinda silly for me.
I have shot Ruger 10-22s with their little rotary magazine. They work well, but constantly having to take out a part and refill it, then put it back in is a bigger PITA to me than pulling the magazine tube forward and filling the tube with loose ammo.

If you like it when you handle it, buy it. They are from all I've read a good quality rilfe, and the Henry customer service is said to be excellent.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

mklwhite wrote:I've been thinking about getting one (next year) myself. I have had one question about them though; I haven't found any info that tells me what "brasslite' (sp?) is for sure. One place said it was zinc or alloy or pot metal that has been brass plated. I'd hate to spend that amount of money on something that actually is brass plated pot metal.
You WILL NOT be happy with any Henry rimfire levergun.

The construction of the Henry rimfire levergun receivers and receiver covers has been said to be anywhere from "potmetal", to aluminum, to zinc. In my mind, potmetal denotes "any old scrap that is laying around, and gets thrown onto a melting pot to top it off". Apparently, "potmetal" is not exactly what I thought it was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_metal

Recently, Anthony Imperato, president of Henry R.A.C., revealed to a member of Rimire Central that the alloy is "similar to Z5", a ZAMAC alloy. Link to ZAMAC/ ZAMAK:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

The chart on Z5 tells me that an actual Z5 alloy is more than adequate for any .22LR/ Magnum/ .17HMR levergun.

The Golden Boy is a variant of the "standard" Henry H001-series. The H001 has a painted receiver cover, and will show a silver metal, if you scratch it. The Golden Boy is, indeed, plated, and will also show the silver basemetal, if scratched.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

The Marlin is a much better choice than the Henry. For an extra $100.00 you can find a nice pre-owned 39 or 39A. My preference would be a straight stock Mountie with the saddle ring & gold trigger. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

TCB,
$300 is a great price, buy it! I picked one up last spring for my wife, put a Marble's tang sight on it and turned her loose on the silhouette course! Man, that was one of the best things I ever did! She loves the rifle, and now I've got a shootin' buddy to go to the matches with me! Who better than my best friend? :D Buy it! You won't be sorry.

centershot
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
Levant

Post by Levant »

One of my Henrys is a lever 22 in blue, not the brass. It's a real solid fit gun. The action is smooth, it's fun to shoot, and shoots straight. I'd buy one again if I didn't have such a long wish list and the Henry 22 already had its turn at the top of the list once.
John Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Boy »

Here's my view of the world about the Henry 22LR Yellowboy ...
* One of the smoothest actions on a lever rifle
* Fit to finish is above average
* The bore is excellent. I can knock over Rams at 100 meters (109.4yds) with ease and ... it took me 11 hits but I managed to knock a Chicken off the rail at 200 meters (218.8yds) - All with stock sights!
Buy it and enjoy it
Regards
John
John Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Boy »

An add on to an old thread:
Have a new project that w44wcf got me into - reloading 22LR cases with black powder. While testing the rounds in the Henry Yellowboy, the lifter was presenting these longer COL 1.04 rounds up the ramp on the stub in a manner that the bullets were being shaved when they went into the chamber. Commercial smokeless factory rounds are 0.987 to 0.991

So I packaged some examples of the rounds and the rifle and shipped it back to Henry. Total round trip time including shipping, they modified the rifle so 1.04 COL rounds will chamber flawlessly - 11 days with no charges for repair and return shipping. I call that EXCELLENT SERVICE

Confirmed rumor - the end of 2012 they will be selling a 'copy' of the Winchester 1860 rifle
Regards
John
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

Love my Marlins, but a Henry is alot of satisfaction for the low price. .DT
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I like mine a lot. Very accurate and a good shooter.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

After I bought my 39A I handled a Henry Golden Boy - the weight and balance felt great. I'm pretty sure it has the octagonal barrel; if not, it was on the heavy side.

I hear the action is very slick and no jam-ups. Since I have a constant problem with jamming in my Marlin, I wish I had gotten the Golden Boy. Although the similar blued version might be more my style. I'm not talking about their entry level models, I'm pretty sure there is a comparable model in blued.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Any of you Henry owners have trouble sighting in with the factory iron sights?

My son bought a Henry blued 22 that shoots 2" high at 25 yds with the rear sight bottomed out.
The front blade sight is integrally molded into the front barrel band and can't be replaced.

I can "fix" it, but it seems to me that this should cause problems with other owners too. ??
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

have one with a blued receiver, love it. smooth action and accurate out of the box. You can't go wrong. I don't know much about the brass receivers though.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

here's my first target on my daughter's H001
it's a shooter, and $150 less than a new Golden Boy
However, $300 is a great price for the Golden Boy
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I bought a GB when they were 1st introduced - well B 4 Standards were introduced.

I soon got rid of it because I didn't like the workmanship - like visible grind marks on the front face of the receiver under the "brass", and the abrupt change from the large receiver to the much smaller straight bbl.

However, I was very smooth to operate, and fairly accurate - just clumsy to scope & a tad heavy.

I like the H001 Standard much better - but if the workmanship on the GB you're looking at for only $300 (a great price BTW) is decent, and YOU like the rifle - I'd advise getting it, since I have no doubt the GB's have been improved since the early version I bought.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Here`s my wife Annie Oaktree with hers, love it, shoots right on.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

gcs wrote:Any of you Henry owners have trouble sighting in with the factory iron sights?

My son bought a Henry blued 22 that shoots 2" high at 25 yds with the rear sight bottomed out.
The front blade sight is integrally molded into the front barrel band and can't be replaced.

I can "fix" it, but it seems to me that this should cause problems with other owners too. ??

Mine was set up just right when I got it. I know someone with the regular Henry .22 blued and the sights on it are not nearly as good as the ones on the Golden Boy.
clampdaddy
Levergunner

Post by clampdaddy »

I have one in .22 mag and I love it. It's slim so it carries well in one hand, and it's hefty so it is a nice offhand shooter. My only gripe is that the stock has just a touch too much drop for me, so I have to use a slightly different cheek weld when I aim.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

When they first came out I got one for my buddy and this month I ceaned it for the first time. He has shot over 5000 rounds through it with no malfunction great accuracy and is well satisfied. My golden bow went through about 2000 rounds before a grandson got it and it is well over 4000 now. I have no complaints with the Golden Boy.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Don't have a Golden Boy but I have a Henry large loop lever Carbine and have been more than pleased with it. Paid $239 for it during the annual sale at my local gunshop and it has been the best money I ever spent for a firearm. Over 1,000 rds later with out a problem, and never miss a squirrel at 40yds or under, even with my old eyes and the factory sights. It is dead on at 25yds and my grandson loves to come over and shoot it. And its just fun to work that slick lever and put out 15 rds or so rapid fire. Buy it you should like it. Only takes me 45 or 50 seconds to load so I don't see that as a problem. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!