Interesting find-Steiner Binoculars

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Interesting find-Steiner Binoculars

Post by DerekR »

My youngest son and spent last Sunday afternoon canoeing a small creek that feeds into a local lake. This particular area borders and old Airforce base that is home to several National Guard units. The lake is at winter pool and is much lower than it is in the summer. We got out on the bank to stretch our legs and we found, half buried in the mud, a pair of Steiner military binoculars. The strap wasn't rotted, but they have obviously been in the water a year or two. The rubber armor coating was dry rotted and there is water inside of the lenses. I looked the model up and they retail for about a grand. I have had no experience with Steiner but I wondered if these were worth repairing. Do you guys have any opinion? Thanks in advance!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Interesting find-Steiner Binoculars

Post by Mescalero »

Try to find out what it would cost to repair, if it is possible.
If they could be repaired, 200 bucks would be incentive for me.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I have a pair and they are excellent.

The military issue are said to be quite good.

I'd send 'em to Steiner and ask them.
Absolutely worth repairing if not too much
money.

-Stretch
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I wonder if they are warrented like some others, and have a lifetime send it in for free policy?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I think mine have a 10-year warranty?

-Stretch
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Send them in they will call you and advise you the choices I have delt with them in the past with good results the high$ steiners are lifetime warranty and you can also do a trade say you want a different model etc they make a price adjustment for the old and apply it to the new model. danny
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

excellent binos....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Thanks guys. I have had excellent service on Leupold, but I'm not sure anybody else has a warranty that good!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The GI that lost them probably paid for them a long time ago... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hobie wrote:The GI that lost them probably paid for them a long time ago... :lol:
They making GI's pay for lost stuff these days? Next thing you know they'll be charging for bullets! I know I lost all sorts of stuff and never paid for any of it. Sometimes things just fall out of airplanes and such.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

In training and they have for all my time in service when it was the fault of the soldier for damage or loss. Often done under the umbrella of the Report of Survey and Statement of Charges. Done these many a time. EVERYTHING is supposed to be accounted for. Combat losses are "surveyed" away.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Hobie wrote:The GI that lost them probably paid for them a long time ago... :lol:
...and paid...and paid...and paid... :)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

IIRC, never more than a months pay....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Hobie wrote:In training and they have for all my time in service when it was the fault of the soldier for damage or loss. Often done under the umbrella of the Report of Survey and Statement of Charges. Done these many a time. EVERYTHING is supposed to be accounted for. Combat losses are "surveyed" away.
reminds me that in WWI they didn't issue parachutes to fliers because they didn't want them to bail out and waste an expensive airplane.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

DerekR wrote:My youngest son and spent last Sunday afternoon canoeing a small creek that feeds into a local lake. This particular area borders and old Airforce base that is home to several National Guard units. The lake is at winter pool and is much lower than it is in the summer. We got out on the bank to stretch our legs and we found, half buried in the mud, a pair of Steiner military binoculars. The strap wasn't rotted, but they have obviously been in the water a year or two. The rubber armor coating was dry rotted and there is water inside of the lenses. I looked the model up and they retail for about a grand. I have had no experience with Steiner but I wondered if these were worth repairing. Do you guys have any opinion? Thanks in advance!
I'm surprised the guys defending the cheap rifle scopes in another thread haven't jumped in telling you that a $50 set of Tascos will be just as good as the Steiner binos! :lol: I agree with the others that I'd check into having them rebuilt.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JB wrote:
DerekR wrote:My youngest son and spent last Sunday afternoon canoeing a small creek that feeds into a local lake. This particular area borders and old Airforce base that is home to several National Guard units. The lake is at winter pool and is much lower than it is in the summer. We got out on the bank to stretch our legs and we found, half buried in the mud, a pair of Steiner military binoculars. The strap wasn't rotted, but they have obviously been in the water a year or two. The rubber armor coating was dry rotted and there is water inside of the lenses. I looked the model up and they retail for about a grand. I have had no experience with Steiner but I wondered if these were worth repairing. Do you guys have any opinion? Thanks in advance!
I'm surprised the guys defending the cheap rifle scopes in another thread haven't jumped in telling you that a $50 set of Tascos will be just as good as the Steiner binos! :lol: I agree with the others that I'd check into having them rebuilt.
The Germans don't have a lock on quality anymore. The Turks are the factory workers in Germany. Asian glass and workmanship is very, very good, and you get what you pay for. 50$ glass will be iffy, 250$ Leupold Windriver glass (Asian) is very, very excellent. I've been trying to ruin mine for 10 years is all sorts of bad weather, and riding around in the truck w/0 a case and they are as new.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

There is a National Guard Cavalry Unit that flies copters every day over in this area. I could see a pair of binos vibrating out of an open door.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

We were issued 8X30 and 20X80 Steiners when i was deployed.......very good glass.

Most especially at night and early/late when it is dim. That's when you really see the difference.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote: 250$ Leupold Windriver glass (Asian) is very, very excellent. I've been trying to ruin mine for 10 years is all sorts of bad weather, and riding around in the truck w/0 a case and they are as new.
I have two sets of Wind Rivers !
The first set 8x30 RP was purchased in 1991 and still work great . These were made even before they started calling them Wind River and actually have "Leupold" written in the armor coating . I've sent them back twice for repair (neither time by fault of the product but rather from me dropping them 30 feet or so out of a treestand) and both times the only cost to me was shipping to them.
Also have a set of the Wind RIvers I bought a couple years later in 10x40 RP and they to were sent back once and again I think it was more a matter of me not being overly gentle with them versus a product let down and again they fixed and returned at no cost to me !

I do however have a set of Steiners in 12x50 porro prism that are also rather nice . I got these specifically to use on a friends hunting property to keep from shooting button bucks when we were out doe culling and I gotta say they work wonders to see the little knubs at 75 or more yards !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Guy brought his Steiners to a NCAA rowing event (he uses them for elk hunting in Pac NW). I thought I was looking through a window pane when compared them to my WalMart el supremo's.