Some of the last Addax and Oryx w/ Levergun and Enfield

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Some of the last Addax and Oryx w/ Levergun and Enfield

Post by 86er »

My buddy Jas is a bird hunting outfitter but has recently become a rifleman and big game enthusiast. He has only taken 3 whitetail deer to date but he wanted to try exotic hunting and particularly the Addax and Scimitar Horned Oryx (SHO) before they can no longer be shot when the sun sets on April 3rd, 2012. We set out walking on the ranch looking for non-trophy animals. Several hours and many stalks into it we finally creeped up behind a SHO that was grazing away from us. With the fading light and significant amount of effort already expended, I gave him the go-ahead to take a Texas Heart Shot. The rangefinder read 100 yds and the rifle is dead on and accurate at that range. The first shot hit the spine and dropped the animal. A very quick follow up through the ribs anchored it. Another follow-up shot went through the shoulders.

The next day we grabbed the 303 Enfield loaded with 174 gr Hornady RN @ 2600 fps. We spent most of the day working on Addax. At 168 yard and Addax stepped out and turned away. Still in the spirit from the first animal, he took another T.H.S. and dropped it. A second fast follow up through the chest ended the hunt. He's hooked on handy carbines now and has plans to purchase a levergun and an Enfield!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Some of the last Addax and Oryx w/ Levergun and Enfield

Post by rjohns94 »

Congrats and well done
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

When I left N.M. to come to Phoenix, I left early in the morning and just before I got to White Sands, I saw a whole herd of Oyrx.
No camera!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

good show Jas (U 2 Joe).
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'm sure I missed something but, why can't they be shot after 4/3/2012? Some new law I assume?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

8) :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Looks like great shot placement to me. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I'm sure I missed something but, why can't they be shot after 4/3/2012? Some new law I assume?
seems after that date, a mountain of F E D E R A L paperwork will be involved with a hunt. See for example, http://news.yahoo.com/texas-hunting-ran ... 29368.html

making guns too costly to own for their intended purpose is just another way of disregarding the 2nd amendment.

rimrock
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Animal rights weirdos rule, eh? Sounds more like California that Texas. :x
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The 2012 hunt for exotics in N.M. is to the best of my knowledge is proceeding as normal.
The fish & game pubished the 2012 hunting regs with no real changes.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I was trying to watch the road, there were at least 20 animals in that herd; probably more.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Joe had a post on here a while back about this. It seems some world animal rights group has put a stop to hunting certain ones of the exotic class of animals. It is not state laws.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Jerry,
That does not explain why the N.M. exotics hunt is still on.
The N.M. exotics hunt takes place mainly on military reservation.
They may be exempt?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Those crazy horns on the Addax would be a real trophy. Now, can we make wearing knee length socks with short corduroy pants and a hand knitted stocking cap illegal as it frightens children? (This seems to be a favorite uniform of the animal rights activists in this area)
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Sounds like a good time. :mrgreen:
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

You gotta love that Texas Heart Shot!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

New Mexico has Gemsbok Oryx. They are not CITES. All Scimitar Horned Oryx are on the CITES Appendix, and international law by treaty prevails, enforced by Federal law under the Lacey Act. Without a CITES permit you cannot take, sell, move, harass, neglect, trade or transfer a SHO anywhere. You can only get a permit if you have a sustantial, sustainable herd and then a take permit requires an excess animal to be used for research or education purposes. A permit requires 20% of any trophy fee to be collected by Conservation Force, a govt approved private company. After an administrative fee is taken the remainder of funds goes to the animals Country of origin. The biggest problem is that there is nobody controlling what happens to the funds when they land back at the country of origin. The SHO, Addax and Dama Gazelle were always on CITES, however the USFWS granted an exemption for captive raised animals. This lawsuit from PETA and HSUS caused a Judge to say the USFWS does not have the authority to grant an exemption, and has to have regulatory measures in place. The PETA spokesperson said she would rather see no scimitar, addax or oryx in the US at all than see animals that could be hunted. She is close to getting her wish. The devaluezation has caused landowners to sell all their animals and collectors to shoot one before it cannot be done. There are very few in the market left as the closing date gets near and the price has skyrocketted. There are two Texas ranches that intend to apply for permits and potentially have limited hunts in the future. Where SHO and Addax were around $2000 they are going to be $6500 and where Dama Gazelle was $4500 they will be $10000. The breeding populations are going to end up down approximately 92% from what they once were in the US. This is not about animal conservation - it is purely anti-hunting!. Guess what folks - if anyone knows what a Blackbuck or Axis deer is, well they are on CITES and USFWS has had them under a blanket excemption. File the same lawsuit, change the name of the animals and the foundation behind the suit is the same, assuming a Judge uses the same logic (or not) there will be the same outcome.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

JerryB wrote:Joe had a post on here a while back about this. It seems some world animal rights group has put a stop to hunting certain ones of the exotic class of animals. It is not state laws.
It's a federal court case with a short-term injunction to halt the hunting before the case is decided.

and here's what we're up against:
Meanwhile, Feral told “60 minutes” that she would rather see the animals extinct than hunted — at least in Texas.

If the animals existed only to be hunted, Logan asked her, would she rather they not exist at all?

“Not in Texas, no,” Feral replied, later adding, “The future for oryxes is Africa. It’s not Texas.”

Logan pressed her on the point. “Can the future not be both? Don’t they have a greater chance of survival the more of them there are?”
“In their native lands,” Feral replied.

“I don’t think you can say regardless of where they are,” the animal rights activist said. ” A Texas hunting ranch is not the same as being in a reserve in Senegal.”

LaSorte said this sentiment is fairly typical among hard-line animal rights activists, but it’s usually hidden instead of being articulated so plainly.

“You don’t often actually hear them say ‘we’d rather have all of them dead than have a few of them hunted’,” he said.
Last edited by bdhold on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I admit that I cannot tell or know the difference between them, but it seems from Joe's explanation that they are a different species.
This is perhaps a good thing.
But even at that, a hunt for one of these animals in N.M. is a once in a lifetime thing.
Once you have taken one, thats it, no more.
There is a provision for a broken horned Oryx, but I am not sure of the circumstances.