My Rossi 357 loves FTX, hates Bullesye remanufactured

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

My Rossi 357 loves FTX, hates Bullesye remanufactured

Post by FatJackDurham »

Decided to try out some upper class ammo today. I bought the Hornady FTX ammo with the rubber tips. Till now I've been shooting mostly Magtech or Federal. I also saw some Bullseye remanufactured ammo, and decided to try it out as well.

I started with the Bullseye, which was LSWC. My gun absolutely hated it. Every time I tried to cycle a round, it would get hung up on the way into the bore. It happened with the 38s as well, but not as much as the 357. I took out a couple of rounds and examined them, a bit of lead had been shaved off the rim of the bullet.

I hope its not a problem with reloaded in general, I just ordered a whole Lyman kit. My bullets, though, are the conical flat points, and they dont have a ledge like the LSWC.

The FTX were fantastic. I only had one box of 25, so I was miserly with them. They list at about 1800 FPS, and had nice accuracy. For once, I was able to hit the 125 yard targets reliably. In fact, someone had put a block of wood up on the top of one of the targets, about 4x6 inch in area. I took my time aiming and darned if that block didnt go flying!

Sadly, the bullets didn't last long,even three rounds at a time. But it does make me want to consider getting them again.
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Re: My Rossi 357 loves FTX, hates Bullesye remanufactured

Post by Newtmaker »

You need to try reloading. I have been playing around with the Hornady Lever bullets, 140g FTX. They shoot nice with either Lil Gun or H110, but I couldn't get as much velocity as I thought I should at very near max loads. They do shoot nice in the Rossi however, as you stated.

Walt
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Re: My Rossi 357 loves FTX, hates Bullesye remanufactured

Post by FatJackDurham »

Newtmaker wrote:You need to try reloading. I have been playing around with the Hornady Lever bullets, 140g FTX. They shoot nice with either Lil Gun or H110, but I couldn't get as much velocity as I thought I should at very near max loads. They do shoot nice in the Rossi however, as you stated.

Walt
the hornady site says to cut the case down with the FTX bullets. I think the magnum case standard is 1.25. how much do you trim yours down?