Light small 44 special wanted

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

Light small 44 special wanted

Post by Bosco »

I am going to purchase a light revolver for woods walking soon. I would like it to be as light as possible with at least a three inch barrel. Initial thoughts in the ballpark are....
1. 396 Mountain Lite 18 oz 3.125" brl
2. 696 33 oz 3" brl
3. FA 97 33 oz 4.75" brl
4. S&W 329 29 oz 4" brl
5. S&W 396NG 24 oz 2.5" brl- buy another barrel?

I despise the S&W lock and would avoid it. Although I listed two models which are only available with it.

Any strng opinions on these guns being considered? Am I missing any which I should consider?

Thanks,
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Re: Light small 44 special wanted

Post by Hagler »

Bosco,

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products ... 74440.html

74440 Target Bulldog 4"
Model: 74440
Finish: Stainless
Frame: Stainless steel
Grip: Full
Barrel length: 4"
Capacity: 5-shot
Caliber: .44 Special
Hammer: Standard
Weight: 23 oz.
Sugg Retail: $479

Here is a review of Mic McPherson's Charter Arms Bulldogs:

http://www.levergun.com/articles/44_Special_Bulldog.htm

Jeff Quinn's review:

http://gunblast.com/Bulldog_Pug.htm

Here is the "Gunblast" edition of the Bulldog:

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products ... ter44.html

http://www.gunblast.com/Charter-Gunblasters.htm

If you want to change grips, then ANY grips from ANY other Charter Arms revolver (NOT their "Dixie Derringer"), regardless of caliber, frame size, or date of manufacture. Charter makes a variety of grips, as does Hogue, and Pachmyr. Crimson Trace sells laser grips for them, too.

Shawn
Last edited by Hagler on Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

If by #4 you mean the S&W 329PD, then I highly second the choice. It's on my list as well, for it's combination of cartridge, size and weight.

Here's GunBlast's article on it:
http://www.gunblast.com/SW329PD.htm
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I would highly recommend the FA 97. It is one of the handiest little pistols I've ever had the pleasure of shooting, and I think it would be the cat's meow in 44 sp. The one I've handled a lot is chambered in .45 Colt. You do only get 5 shots and single action out of it. If you are looking more toward double action it isn't "the one", but if you are fine with single action I don't think you can beat it.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

For another review of the charter arms bulldog, John Taffin devotes a chapter to it in his "Book of the .44"

Here's the link
http://www.sixguns.com/BookOfThe44/bot44c19.htm
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Bosco, why do you hate the s&w lockwork? I have about a dozzen smiths and in the past owned many more. I never had a problem with one. Right now I own 4 ,44 specials in smiths. I also have two colt single actions in them plus a ruger flat top in .44 special. My favorite is a 24-3 with a 4" barrel. Ruger makes a short barreled (3 3/4") vaquero and cimmeron arms makes a single action colt copy in .44 special with the 3 1/2" barrel and birds head grip called the thunderer. I have one of them in .45 colt and a extra clyinder in .45 acp. .44 special is my favorite, but .45 colts are fine too. The ruger single actions run a little heavier than colts and colt copys. The smith 24-3 has the tapered light barrel. They really arent all that heavy and pack nice. Actualy they are the same configeration as there "Mountain guns". Here are my .44 specials.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

The ruger and the cimmeron thunderer.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

You should find that ruger vaquero short barrel on this lead.
http://ruger.com/search/
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Booger Bill,

I think that Bosco hates the keyed lock, in the frame, of some S&W revolvers. :wink:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bosco »

Thank you for the suggestions fellas.
The loads I will be using are similar to the 255 grain Keith load in either heavy 44 special or light 44 mag BB load, which is too much for the Charter Arms guns I reading.
I would hand load some 250 grain Beartooth Bullets.
The idea is to have a load that could deal with Moose or black bear up close if necessary. The light weight is wanted for several day journeys in the bush where every oz adds up. I own a couple of 629 MGs, and find it wise to cut weight even with this light gun.
I do like the Smiths, but have read great things about Freedom Arms.
Yes it is just the frame's "Lawyer Lock" which I find so disagreeable.
Finding a pre-lock 396SC ML is quite difficult. Perhaps the 329PD is the answer.......but smaller and lighter would be better.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Your load is often considered too much for the S&W 696 guns as well. I've shot the Skeeter load in mine but won't do it again. I have the Ruger FTs and the FA97. For your use, I suggest the FA-97 (if price isn't a consideration). I would rate as follows (best to worst for YOUR application)...

1 - FA-97
2 - Colt sized SAs (Ruger NM FT, New Vaqueros, Colts, USFA SA)
3 - S&W 624/24
4 - S&W 396
5 - S&W 696
6 - Charter Arms Bulldog

Taurus also made a 5-shot .44 Special revolver.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I would think the freedom arms would be heavy and the most exspendsive. Probley the best quality though. For the loads you want etc the charter would be the last on my list. I realize I am lucky on buying the specials I have many years ago but the rugers are available and relatively cheap. Realy, yes the newer smiths have the lock but I have seen that new model I think, 22 that is the fixed sight 4" and they are beautys! Must weigh a couple ounces less than my 24-3. If I didnt have what I have, thats the baby I would snag! The lock? Well get over it! Sorry, I went back and read the original post and you did say "lock" not lock work. Well I dont like the lock either, but I still would rather have one smith with it than a dozzen of those charters! Now thats UGLY!
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

For the type of load you want, as Hobie said, 624. I have one of the 3" 624's and it carries the Skeeter load all the time. It handles it well, not too much recoil. I can only imagine lighting one of those off in a 329. As much as I regret not buying a 696 when they came out, this 624 has really grown on me. L- frame 3" barrel is a great combo. Over the last several years it has become my most carried woods/truck guns, almost exclusively actually.

Kevin
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I have both a Smith 696 with 3" barrel (5 shot) and a Ruger 4 5/8" barrel flat top 44 Special (6 shot). The Ruger is 42 ounces... and you've listed the Smith - mine is pre-lock.

I personally would be happy with either one of these on my hip for the stated purpose. Both have adjustable sights and can handle the +P 44 Special loadings. I think with a good choice of belt and holster, the extra 9 ounces for the Ruger wouldn't be noticed....
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

many bow hunters and guides up here carried the 44 mag in the 329s because of the big bears and have quite carry them cause of shooting loose, the alum frame handguns cannot take the beating, A friend of mine carried a 329 and had to pop a brn bear while bow hunting and has now gone to a mtn gun as the 329 shot loose. I guess if you were only going to shoot it in a emergency they would work. Stay with a steel frame for big or hot rounds you'll enjoy the gun for many years to come. danny
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Much as I prefer an older S&W, they tend to be on the heavy side. And, I just can't get warmed up to the newer lighter weight Smith's. So, I'm going to go along with either of the two Charter Arms mentioned above. I have both old and new CA's. Older ones, if you can find one in good condition, will do fine. My "new" one is one of their Southpaws. Based on it, I'd say that the "new" ones are pretty good, as well.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

alnitak wrote:If by #4 you mean the S&W 329PD, then I highly second the choice. It's on my list as well, for it's combination of cartridge, size and weight.

Here's GunBlast's article on it:
http://www.gunblast.com/SW329PD.htm
i have several [ charter and rossi incluided ] but i carry the 329PD with 4" barrel. it is accurate and handles beauttifully and very light on the belt or shoulder holster. have had it since the first year they came out. i use it on my 4 wheeler; when fishing, boating,etc. it is always in my truck or on me. it is a serious go to piece.
cable
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

How about giving Gary Reeder a call and "build" your own?? I would think a Ruger, custom job by Gary and you are set. Not sure how many bear or manical moose you will encounter in Papillion, but you may have use for it just a bit north of there.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

BigSky56 wrote:many bow hunters and guides up here carried the 44 mag in the 329s because of the big bears and have quite carry them cause of shooting loose, the alum frame handguns cannot take the beating, A friend of mine carried a 329 and had to pop a brn bear while bow hunting and has now gone to a mtn gun as the 329 shot loose. I guess if you were only going to shoot it in a emergency they would work. Stay with a steel frame for big or hot rounds you'll enjoy the gun for many years to come. danny
well, you are right; it is a 'carry-a-lot-shoot-it-some' gun for me. for the carry and shoot gun i have a reeder stainless 4", rounded grips, short barrel, very accurate and strong.
cable
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I had the NG version. Liked it very much. Not sure about ur loads in it.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Booger Bill wrote:I would think the freedom arms would be heavy and the most exspendsive. Probley the best quality though.
The Freedom Arms he is talking about is the smaller version. I think it's even smaller than the Colt SAA. It is absolutely the niftiest little packing pistol I have ever put my hands on. I want one so bad it hurts. They aren't heavy at all, and point just like a natural extension.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I have no experience with the Charter Arms, but I do with the FA's and my first vote is for the FA. I know they're expensive, but you get what you pay for. A short barrel 97 in 44 Spl would be a perfect packing pistol. I understand it's only single action and may not fit your bill for a woods gun. I have a S&W 29 for the double action feature myself, but I also have an FA 83 in 454 Casull. Just depends on what I think I'm going to run into and how fast I may have to respond. I guarantee the FA's won't shoot loose.
Old Law Dawg
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bosco »

I own a Ruger Bisley in 44 Mag. It is very nice to shoot stout loads in.
The FA 97 sounds great, the same weight as a 696 with another 1.25 inches of barrel.
I have much more experience with double actions. The muscle memory is there. But the idea of this 97 is growing on me. I did stop by and look at a 329PD after work. I have no experience with CA or Taurus. Decision, decisions.
Last edited by Bosco on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The only thing that I'm a little leary of on the FA's is their very close tollerances - which of course makes them very accurate and strong, but how about reliability in "field" conditions? Owners can comment on that one.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bosco »

Having Reeder do some modifications to one of those Lipsey's stainless flattops?
It would be personalized....I will have to look into it. The problem is that this is turning into having fun instead of focusing on light weight.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

O.S.O.K. wrote:The only thing that I'm a little leary of on the FA's is their very close tollerances - which of course makes them very accurate and strong, but how about reliability in "field" conditions? Owners can comment on that one.

my FAs were from the early and mid 80's.......under dirty gritty field conditions, i repeatedly found i was carrying a beautifullly machined paperweight.....completely inert......could not fire one round......after two days of two of us packing out moose meat with fresh grizzly sign all around, and only carrying the FAs, i was, shall we say, DISCONCERTED! neither his gun nor mine would fire a single round. happened to me several times and to two more of my hunting partners, and to another acquaintance. so, i went back to smiths, rugers, etc.
maybe it is not that way anymore, somebody could probably tell us different.
cable
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

I have a round butt FA97 with a 3 1/2” barrel in .45 Colt – it is about the same size as the S&W 396 – although quite a bit heavier. Here is a picture next to a 386 (same size as 396 which I also have).

For light weight carrying, the 396 wins hands down. For shooting enjoyment with heavier loads, the FA is the winner. Recoil is BRUTAL with the 396 and 250gr bullets at 1,000 fps and above.

I also have a 329 PD 4” – it has been my primary carry gun (I carry all day every day) for the last 6 years or so. It offers the perfect power to weight ratio for my purposes. Recoil with full .44 mag loads is severe except for the most recoil tolerant. The 3 ½” FA97 .45 Colt at similar load levels is more pleasant to shoot (for me) – YMMV.

The BB “Lower Recoil” .44 Mags generate 1,264 fps w/255gr Keith in the 4” 329PD (BB website) which is the same velocity I chronoed Remington factory 240gr JSPs in my 329 PD.

M97 (3 1/2" round butt) vs 3 1/4" 386 (same physical size as 396)
M97
Paul
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

Are you committed to the .430 bore size? I like a 4 5/8" run of the mill Blackhawk in .45 Colt where necessary. Thirty-six ounces and capable of rather stout loads. Reliable as heck. Used ones with some wear....great rough country revolvers where critters can bite back.
If you have to stick with a .44, I'd go with that .44 mag MG with appropriate loads or a 624 (my choice) ditto, living with the additional weight. I just don't trust the aluminum alloy framed revolvers enough to take them into the hills.
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bosco »

Some great ideas here. Thank you all. I am not committed to the bore size, I just have a few revolvers in the the bore size and it would be handy. Lots of the 45 Colts are attractive, just not as available in the lighter weight guns. If one hikes at a strong pace over rough country, where one is often climbing or duck walking under tree limbs, hoping from hummock to hummock in the swamp with a pack on, believe me- those extra few ounces add up, and the carrying systems chafe. Less weight equals less exfoliation. But it is great to be out in the bush where one is not on "the beaten path". These are the cool places where one can walk up on FRESH bear and wolf scat. I like to be out where one can have some solitude. I don't get to do it enough anymore.

I don't know where that last part came from. I must have cabin fever.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Doc Cable,

I haven't had such a problem with my FA97. Perhaps I should carry it more and give it a real test.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

One of the reasons that I mentioned the FA tollerance thing is that it was mentioned by Brian Pearce (Rifle/Handloader) - and I like his writting and found him to be spot on with everything that I've done that he's recommended.

Since Bosco mentioned that he's not committed to .44 Special... I might suggest something that would do very well in that role (29 oz. unloaded, 39 fully loaded):

Glock 20 SF 10mm - 15+1 capacity
180gr jacketed bullets at 1300+ fps
200gr jacketed bullets at 1200+ fps

Mine has a Storm Lake stainless barrel with cut rifling and fully supported chamber - so you can add hard cast boolit loads to what it'll eat - like 200 grainers going 1300 fps - potent bear protection.

Tough, reliable and accurate. Mine has tritium fixed night sights for low-light shooting. Recoil is very managable IMHO. The Glock safe trigger is just like a revolver - KISS.

Or, I have heard very good things about the G29 (compact 10mm) - 33 oz loaded. 10+1 capacity.

We are talking about something that has to work when you need it right? Something that you will rely on to save your hide? Something that will probably be shaking a bit when you use it in that situation?- a time when more rounds really is better?

Just saying. :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

O.S.O.K. wrote:One of the reasons that I mentioned the FA tollerance thing is that it was mentioned by Brian Pearce (Rifle/Handloader) - and I like his writting and found him to be spot on with everything that I've done that he's recommended.

Since Bosco mentioned that he's not committed to .44 Special... I might suggest something that would do very well in that role (29 oz. unloaded, 39 fully loaded):

Mine has a Storm Lake stainless barrel with cut rifling and fully supported chamber - so you can add hard cast boolit loads to what it'll eat - like 200 grainers going 1300 fps - potent bear protection.

Tough, reliable and accurate. Mine has tritium fixed night sights for low-light shooting. Recoil is very managable IMHO. The Glock safe trigger is just like a revolver - KISS.

Or, I have heard very good things about the G29 (compact 10mm) - 33 oz loaded. 10+1 capacity.

We are talking about something that has to work when you need it right? Something that you will rely on to save your hide? Something that will probably be shaking a bit when you use it in that situation?- a time when more rounds really is better?

Eminently practical and absolutely repulsive... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Hobie wrote:Doc Cable,

I haven't had such a problem with my FA97. Perhaps I should carry it more and give it a real test.
i suspect the FA97 may be different. mine were the FA83s. it was dust, grit, sandy stuff that did it. it didn't even look dirty but was locked up tight...couldnt fire a shot.
cable
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I carry this a lot after I got it in 2006. Great peace of mind and in a Mernickle cross draw you forget it is there until you need it. Been shot a lot ,mostly mid loads, a few hot heavy loads to see how bad it hurt (and it does) but great gun and still shoots great. It gets carried the most of my 44s when riding or walking outdoors and I don't think I will need a gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

TRACKER MODEL 44 .44 MAG., 5 RDS. STAINLESS STEEL
http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... series=TS2
Model: 44TRACKER4SS Finish: Matte Stainless Steel Status: Available
Caliber: .44 MAG Grips: Ribber UPC: 7-25327-35124-5
Capacity: 5 Weight: 34 oz Rate of Twist: 1:18.75"
Barrel Length: 4" Height: 5.40" Porting: YES
Frame: Compact Width: 1.531" Action: DA/SA
Front Sight: Fixed Length: 9" Grooves: 5
Safety: Transfer Bar Trigger Type: Smooth Order #: 2-440049TKR
MSRP: $688.00 Rear Sight: Adjustable Grooves Turn: Right
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bosco »

Paladin,
What is your opinion of the Pachmayer grips?
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Hobie wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote: Since Bosco mentioned that he's not committed to .44 Special... I might suggest something that would do very well in that role (29 oz. unloaded, 39 fully loaded):

Eminently practical and absolutely repulsive... :wink:
eloquently put.
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

Rossi makes a decent 3" stainless gun. Traditional, or DAO with a bobbeb hammer and fixed sights. It's about 2lbs, IIRC, equivalent to a K-frame Smith. Pretty much a close of the Smith lockwork, also.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

pneuby wrote:Rossi makes a decent 3" stainless gun. Traditional, or DAO with a bobbeb hammer and fixed sights. It's about 2lbs, IIRC, equivalent to a K-frame Smith. Pretty much a close of the Smith lockwork, also.
the one i have is heavier built than the charter and with adjustable sights; it is accurate and points quite well. i have not carried it into really nasty dirty conditions [ it weighs about the same as the smith 329 PD so i carry it for the extra round and power ] but i believe it is also a good choice.
cable
mike@nds
Levergunner

Post by mike@nds »

I absolutely love my S&W 396 Night Guard, but the hottest thing I've shot was the Blazer 200gr. HP @ 875fps.

Anything much more would not be pleasant.

Mostly I load a 240gr LSWC @ 750fps.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

hfcable wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote:The only thing that I'm a little leary of on the FA's is their very close tollerances - which of course makes them very accurate and strong, but how about reliability in "field" conditions? Owners can comment on that one.

my FAs were from the early and mid 80's.......under dirty gritty field conditions, i repeatedly found i was carrying a beautifullly machined paperweight.....completely inert......could not fire one round......after two days of two of us packing out moose meat with fresh grizzly sign all around, and only carrying the FAs, i was, shall we say, DISCONCERTED! neither his gun nor mine would fire a single round. happened to me several times and to two more of my hunting partners, and to another acquaintance. so, i went back to smiths, rugers, etc.
Don`t take this wrong just a thought, a friend had a stainless Ruger BH that he couldn`t cock or get the cylinder to turn. He called me and asked if i`d come over and look at it. It was locked up tight and after finally getting the cylinder pin out i noticed it was dry everywhere.
Oiled things up and it functioned perfectly to this day, stainless has a way of acting weird sometimes especially if the gun is tight to begin with.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Pitchy wrote:
hfcable wrote:

Don`t take this wrong just a thought, a friend had a stainless Ruger BH that he couldn`t cock or get the cylinder to turn. He called me and asked if i`d come over and look at it. It was locked up tight and after finally getting the cylinder pin out i noticed it was dry everywhere.
Oiled things up and it functioned perfectly to this day, stainless has a way of acting weird sometimes especially if the gun is tight to begin with.[/quot

i had kept them cleaned and lubed. the dust got in and locked it up. had to dissassemble and clean and then re lube and then it locked up again. the dusty dirty conditions just didnt allow for reliable function. . this happened several times with 3 FA guns i owned, 2 that a friend owned and one more that a medical colleague owned. was told to carry them in a zip lock bag! not practical . dont know what i could have done more to make it work. i suspect that it may have just been a problem with earlier guns, [ these were alll from 83-85 manufacture ] but dont know
i do know that we could prevent the problem even with careful maintainence .
local outdoor writer, craig medred, had same experience. was mauled by grizzly and managed to get his FA to shoot once, which saved his life, but couldnt fire again. fortunately the bear was too hurt to further maul him.
cable
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Was just a thought, wasn`t saying you didn`t oil it or anything bro and thanks for clearing it up.
Nope a gun like that ain`t worth carrying, hope they fixed the issue. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Pitchy wrote:Was just a thought, wasn`t saying you didn`t oil it or anything bro and thanks for clearing it up.
Nope a gun like that ain`t worth carrying, hope they fixed the issue. :)
No offense taken. the little fine gritty dusty stuff got into it . after what i thought was a good cleaning , i still had to take the fine tip of a knife, and clean the rebated area of the cylinder to allow a cartridge to seat deep enough to let the cylinder rotate. i was cleaning out stuff almost too small to see! it was frustrating.
i have a taurus 454 now, but in reality i carry a strong reeder 45 colt ruger or one of several brands of 44 magnum instead.
cable
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

"Local outdoor writer, Craig Medred, had same experience. Was mauled by grizzly and managed to get his FA to shoot once, which saved his life, but couldn't fire again. Fortunately the bear was too hurt to further maul him."

:shock: YOW!
Think I'll just stick with Smith & Wesson...
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

Depending on the needs of the day, mine is a vintage 4" Target Bulldog or a Ruger (Lipsey's) 5.5" Flat Top .44 Special.

I have used a lot of little .44 Specials over the years and I interpret "small and light" as the 3" Bulldog, but I see other heavier guns under consideration, so I will share that the Flat Top .44 Special has been a really, really great gun for me so far. I have had some disappointments over the years but the one I got from the first run is as good as any I have had worked on or worked on myself. In fact, I have my eye on a gun that would split the difference between the Bulldog and the Flat Top and it is available for less than a new stainless Bulldog; a 4.625" .44 Special vaquero.

Never owned a FA and never will. My fear is that it would spoil me and my cheap guns wouldn't be good enough for me any more so I have stayed away. No joke.

The only thing about the combination of 'Specials I use today is that I have to make an effort to keep the loads separate. I don't get crazy with the Ruger loads but they are not fun out of the Bulldog. A 250 grain KTSWC or 240 grain Magma SWC over six grains of Unique in the Bulldog is something you can shoot a box or two of but even the "Skeeter Load" out of the Bulldog would put me in a bad mood. Oddly, a favorite load out of he Bulldog is a LEE 208 WC over 5.5 grains of W231 and it is very pleasant but I am surprised at how "snappy" they still seem out of the Ruger. 240s through 265s make you want a different charge for each.