nylon jacketed bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

nylon jacketed bullets

Post by rossim92 »

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_c ... &WTz_l=CQO looking through cabelas catalogue and noticed they now sell total nylon jacketed bullets for the .9 mm, .40 s&w, and .45 acp. I shoot the .45 acp in my glock but only used the fmj in copper.. Anybody have any experience with this new coating?, Going to a gun show on the 18th and that will give something different to look for. :)
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Hobie

Re: nylon jacketed bullets

Post by Hobie »

Always worked just fine for me, but, I've only used them in factory loaded ammo.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Are these bullets being sold as reloading components or already loaded ammo? I think Federal used to have quite a line of nyclad ammo. Shot good never had a problem with it. Might be a good alternative. IIRC they had a problem at first getting the performance they wanted. AThey were slick feeding and expanded well. FWIW
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Wonder how they would work with BP???? Are not the sabots made out of the same stuff??
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Cliff wrote:Are these bullets being sold as reloading components or already loaded ammo? I think Federal used to have quite a line of nyclad ammo. Shot good never had a problem with it. Might be a good alternative. IIRC they had a problem at first getting the performance they wanted. AThey were slick feeding and expanded well. FWIW
loaded factory ammo, far as i can tell.
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Honestly, I have no clue and I dont have a GLOCK or nylon coated bullets. IMO a plastic gun should shoot plastic bullets :P However, I would call GLOCK customer service and ask. I only say this because I know GLOCKS are not supposed to shoot lead bullets as they will result in excessive leading in the barrel due to the different rifling and build up too much pressure.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

This is live ammunition being sold through Cabelas under the "Herters" name. Should work okay in a Glock. Same effect as any other jacketed bullet on the bore. the problem with the glocks is the polygonal rifling doesn't do lead well. Any lead build up creates pressure problems. Of course "Herters" is only the best stuff ever made. I don't know who makes this stuff now. It is aluminum cased. I have shot lead bullets in my Glock-17 but very carefully cleaned the lead out after only about 10 rounds. I was shooting 148 grain hollowbased 38 wadcutters. The gun really liked them for accuracy purposes. It made a believer out of me on the Glock's ability to feed practically any thing. Including resized empty, open mouthed cases. ATB
DBCinID
Levergunner

Post by DBCinID »

I have shot a few boxes of the Herters nylon jacketed bullets through my S & W 1911 and have had no problems either with fouling or FTF.

Don
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

S&W had them back in the 70's. S'posed to help with reducing lead dust. Always wondered who made them, cuz neither S&W or Herters really manufacture's them, then or now. Tho are great at stamping their name on other manufacture's products. Come to think of it Browning does it alot to . Would like to know who the original maker is?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Far's I recall the Nyclad-ding equipment went to Lewiston a few years back, so the aluminum case clue would lead me to believe it's essentially a Nyclad bullet Blazer loading done under contract as Herter's. Unless ATK has bought and brought the Herter's name under their corporate umbrella as well without it attracting my attention.
Wonder how they would work with BP???? Are not the sabots made out of the same stuff??
I probably still have several Nyclad .50 RB out of a handfull that were handed to me about a dozen years ago with intructions to get a deer during the upcoming M/L season with one and report back with lots of pictures (got skunked that year :x ). Was shooting them without a cloth patch and IIRC, they loaded and shot pretty much as well as a plain old "nekkid ball" with a patch, while offering a little less complicated loading procedure and time savings on hurried reloads.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Wasn't the Nyclad the original "cop killer" bullets? The nylon coating supposedly allowed the bullet to zip right through cop's bullet proof vests...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I once carried a .38 Special snub-nose as a back-up gun on a javalina hunt. I forgot to replace my usual 158 grain Nyclads with 158 semi-wadcutters before the hunt. Well things turned out weird when a javalina I shot got up to run away and then back toward me and I found myself armed with only my .38 Special (Ruger Service-Six 2 3/4"). I placed three shots in the critter, one in the gut, one in the ham, and the last one in the chest - all at 35 yards. All three bullets held together and fully penetrated the animal without exiting. From then on I felt even more confident that the Nyclads were a good choice for my defensive carrying chores.

In case you were wondering, the javalina was already sick from being hit hard with a 22-250, and it was never charging, only trying to find a way out of the place without getting shot anymore. Oh, and she tasted mighty fine that evening nestled against some pepper fried potatoes and a slush of hot black coffee.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Idiot wrote:I once carried a .38 Special snub-nose as a back-up gun on a javalina hunt. I forgot to replace my usual 158 grain Nyclads with 158 semi-wadcutters before the hunt. Well things turned out weird when a javalina I shot got up to run away and then back toward me and I found myself armed with only my .38 Special (Ruger Service-Six 2 3/4"). I placed three shots in the critter, one in the gut, one in the ham, and the last one in the chest - all at 35 yards. All three bullets held together and fully penetrated the animal without exiting. From then on I felt even more confident that the Nyclads were a good choice for my defensive carrying chores.

In case you were wondering, the javalina was already sick from being hit hard with a 22-250, and it was never charging, only trying to find a way out of the place without getting shot anymore. Oh, and she tasted mighty fine that evening nestled against some pepper fried potatoes and a slush of hot black coffee.

YUM- YUM! :D
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

mikld wrote:Wasn't the Nyclad the original "cop killer" bullets? The nylon coating supposedly allowed the bullet to zip right through cop's bullet proof vests...
You are thinking of teflon coated bullets.