Engraving! Close; no cigars yet.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Engraving! Close; no cigars yet.

Post by Panzercat »

Alright, with my last two etched blades sold I'm trying my hand at true engravings using the same dremel tool from before. I've got the basic form down, but as you can see, I've got a long way to go before I can approach professional smoothness in the design, let alone my lever gun (thus the leverguns tie in :) )

The first attempt was with a normal carving bit that simply couldn't penetrate deep enough to obtain a real engraving. The end result is jaggy and no where near professional grade. Incidentally, you can actually feel the hardening the closer to the blades edge I engraved.

SoooOOOooo I went and bought a tungsten steel cutting bit which incidentally does exactly as its name advertises; achieving true engraving depth with little effort. What I haven't been able to achieve with it is precise control so it doesn't look like suck.

At the moment, I'm thinking manual hand engraving is the way to go. Sadly, I don't have a few thousand to cough up for an airgraver and stuff, so my next step will be to either refine this technique or do it by hand.One thing I have noticed is hand engraving tools aren't exactly easy to come by at home depot.

Ah well. Game on :)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Engraving! Close; no cigars yet.

Post by Rube Burrows »

Good start. I am sure that its an acquired skill and something that takes time to learn.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

here's one source i use,

http://www.riogrande.com/Category/Tools ... raving/308

probably need to cut while soft and harden the steel later.
engraving is harder than it looks. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You're getting there....Practice, Practice, Practice 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I missed this. I'd like to see the whole blade. And, I take it you made it given your statement. Clay edge and all. I'm impressed. I can't tell what it is by the small shot of the blade. Katana, wakizashi, tanto?
Old Law Dawg
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

@Pokey
Thanks for the website. Finding sources for graver materials seems harder than it should be on google, so that helps a lot.

@Kimwcook
Hate to burst your bubble, I didn't forge it. Only doing after market work on cheap swords. The whole sword isn't worth showing since its literally my test beater I experiment different etching and engraving techniques on. It's pretty ugly :p

The short story is I bought four for experimentation; Two being experimental testers, two being production using what i learned (see the linked video). The engraving is a new phase and I don't think it'll work with a dremel... Too much torque involved on the bit to keep a nice steady line as it digs and not small enough in diameter to produce finer work.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

You did that with a Dremel tool?! Nice work. I would like to see a full length pic as well.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

You cannot cheat engraving, either in equipment or practice. If you ever get serious, look up Jim Downing, "The Gun Engraver." He holds "chase" engraving classes every year and you learn to use an air engraver. Jim did a little scratching for me at a CAS regional a few years ago.

He did the bolts of both the first and second rifle ever converted by anybody to C45S. I traded an antique coffee grinder for the work.
Certified gun nut
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You're off to a good start. Keep it up, it looks good.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It has a good consistent look to it.

And pokey - engraving looks very hard to me.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...