32 S&W UPDATE!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

32 S&W UPDATE!

Post by 20cows »

Does anybody have any experience with this cartridge? (not 32 S&W long)

I figure it's really wimpy, but is it even worth popping a cap on one, much less picking up a little break open revolver for?
Last edited by 20cows on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 32 S&W

Post by 2ndovc »

I put up a post not long ago about a .32 S&W.

I have an old H&R top break hanging on a basement floor joist as a kinda "paranoia" gun.
Anyway my old DVD player gave up and quit on the wrong day!

Pulled the .32 stuck it up against the DVD and popped a cap in it!

Very satisfying but I was surprised at the lack of penetration. Only went a few inches
Before the bullet was stopped.

Rat gun at best!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would not think that it would be worth much in this day and age.

Today I saw several fine Colt Pocket Positives. These darling, diminutive revolvers are just the ticket to make the .32 S&W Long look like a big cartridge. But, truth be told, I couldn't bring myself to spend $450 on such a thing. In my Single-Six, the .32 S&W Long makes a tolerable killer of squirrel and rabbit but with a short barrel and tiny grip as well as fixed sights, it seems more suited as a long distance cattle prod. Take away the extra powder one can stuff in the Long case and it hardly seems worth the effort. Then again, they are fun to shoot! Maybe that is reason enough.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Wait until YK posts - I think he's got some of those little old revolvers, and seems to have tons of fun with them...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I tried to do a search on the 32 S&W and there isn't even enough letters in the name for the search function to notice. :lol:
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Circa 1882, S&W "Double Action" (that was the model name, and is the origin of the term). Though a BP gun, I shoot 77 grain LRN bullets on top of a WEIGHED 1.4 grains of Unique for CAS side matches.

Even though it's a 'real" smith, I paid $90 out the door for the gun. I wear it holstered in that little holster, on my leather suspenders for CAS. Kinda cool jewelry. I HAVE carried it in my back pocket when riding a bicycle. I was always concerned about loose dogs when riding a rural trail.
Certified gun nut
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

My dad has a Police Positive in the Long. While I agree that it's performance isn't terribly impressive, it does just fine on critters coon size and smaller. Plus it awful accurate and fun to shoot. If you're looking for loading info just PM me and I'll get a copy of my dad's notes (he has shot the Short quite a bit as well).

Eric
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I know this isn't a question anybody can really answer for someone else, but would it be worth $150 for a toy? (If something "needs" shooting it "needs" a 45. :twisted: )
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I think of mine as jewelry that shoots. Not practical, but still fun.
Certified gun nut
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

20cows wrote:I know this isn't a question anybody can really answer for someone else, but would it be worth $150 for a toy? (If something "needs" shooting it "needs" a 45. :twisted: )
Some of these are lovely little things and I have almost pulled the trigger on buying one probably a dozen times over the years. It just always seems like there's something else that the money can go towards...like a BIG top break revolver! :D

But yes, if you fancy it why not?? You work hard for your money - spend it how you see fit.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have a couple H&R's top breaks. One for parts and one works. I don't have $100 into both together. I bought them because it is cheap decoration. The broken one hangs on a nail on the wall. But I shoot alot of 32's so they kind of draw me in. I do have a H&R pistol in 32 S&W long that I do shoot and I paid $100 for it, it will kill small game .
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Last year shot some from 327 revolver, hit hanging metal swinger....

Heard Ding...

No Sing...

could actually see the fullet fall off the swinger, this was about 7 yrds
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

20cows wrote:I know this isn't a question anybody can really answer for someone else, but would it be worth $150 for a toy? (If something "needs" shooting it "needs" a 45. :twisted: )
I have a number of 32 S&W's just because I tend to gather up old pocket pistols. Ammo wise you could find cheaper options for plinking, but if it tickles your fancy, but it.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

JB wrote:
I have a number of 32 S&W's just because I tend to gather up old pocket pistols. Ammo wise you could find cheaper options for plinking, but if it tickles your fancy, but it.

I have two topbreaks in 32 S&W and two in 38 S&W. I think that they are fun to plink with. Both of my 32s are Harrington & Richardsons. I shoot them with smokeless powder but VERY light loads. Personally, I would not shoot any factory loads in a 32 S&W topbreak, only in a solid frame.

As for spending $150 for one, for me at that price, it would have to be either a Smith & Wesson manufactured revolver or a real cream puff if any other maker.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I like 'em. They're cool. I sure would run if it was pointed at me.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Hobie, where did you see several Pocket Positives????
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have multi-thousand dollar "toys" (an RV, a truck to pull it, guns, and so forth), I own a dog on which I have spent who knows how much in almost 12 years, and I've been married twice. $150 for a "toy" is cheap. Darn cheap. You have convinced me that you should get it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Ok, you forced me into it! :mrgreen:
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

This should be headed my way soon:

It ain't "purty", but I think it's cute. $75 plus shipping and transfer fee.

The pitting is only on the outside of the cylindar according to the seller.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

20cows wrote:This should be headed my way soon:

And even better, if those are original grips, the position of the owl head indicates that it is a later smokeless model. I am certainly no authority on much of anything but it is my understanding that if the owl head is positioned like yours they are smokeless, if it is rotated 90 degrees (sideways - facing the trigger guard) they are blackpowder.

I think that you got a great deal on it. I certainly would have bought it. I really like the Iver Johnsons
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Tell us more about these little guns. I have the Smith and a Hopkins and I see the Ivers now and then, but they are all so much alike. They sure were popular and cheap at the turn of the century. Is there any to avoid shooting? Do they wear out fast? It looks to me that my Hopkins and Allen has never been shot. I keep it loaded and hidden away as a little defender option.

Owen
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

My brother in law picked up a .32SW Harrington and Richardson this last year in 90% condition for $225 IIRC. I've never seen one in that good of condition. Still, he decided it was a good conversation piece hanging behind the bar, sometimes sitting on it.

I've looked at them numerous times but have kinda decided if I were to get an old top break it would be in .38 S&W. Any opinions on the difference?

LK
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

L_Kilkenny wrote:My brother in law picked up a .32SW Harrington and Richardson this last year in 90% condition for $225 IIRC. I've never seen one in that good of condition. Still, he decided it was a good conversation piece hanging behind the bar, sometimes sitting on it.

I've looked at them numerous times but have kinda decided if I were to get an old top break it would be in .38 S&W. Any opinions on the difference?

LK

I like shooting both but prefer the 38S&W over the 32s. In the pic below, at the top is my hammerless Iver Johnson Safety Automatic in 38 S&W (my favorite of my 4 topbreaks) the nickle one with the mother of pearl grips is an Empire State Arms (made by Meridian Arms?), also in 38 S&W. My Taurus 38 Special is in there to compare size.

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

20cows wrote:This should be headed my way soon:

20cows, the direction of the owls head on mine below indicates that it is an older blackpowder gun where yours, facing different should be good for smokeless. Either way, I would still shoot very light loads in it.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:Wait until YK posts - I think he's got some of those little old revolvers, and seems to have tons of fun with them...

Sorry guys - been swamped doing two jobs for the past two months. Relief is in sight though (another 4-6 weeks...).

I have a pair of old .32 S&W's that my Dad owned. Fun little guns, but as noted, not much in the way of accuracy or power. I had a chance to get a true S&W. Was very tempted, especially after Sixgun's discussion on the merit of these, but just couldn't bring myself to pay what they were asking, which was what it was worth. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one, but if one came my way at a very attractive price, I'm not sure I could resist. A fun little gallery gun.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have a Smith and Wesson top break in 38 S&W which I load with fffg for SASS side matches. Great fun! The other one is a Merwin Hulbert in the same caliber.
If you've never handled a Merwin Hulbert, to unload you must pull the hammer back a little while pushing a button the bottom of the frame then the barrel assembly will rotate on the base pin. Then pull the barrel forward which takes the cylinder with it just far enough empties to clear the cylinder. If they are empty you can shake them out while live rounds remain in the revolver. Push it back together and load through the loading port on the right side.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

That's cool. I see when I try and get info on my Hopkins and Allen, the refer to Merwin and Hulbert as well as Bacon. I actually havn't been able to get much on Hopkins and Allen 32's.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

I have a 32 S&W, but it's a more recent vintage H&R with a transfer bar. It doesn't say it will shoot S&W Long, but it handles them just fine. It's a fun little gun to shoot.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I did good!

Everything is tight, bore and chambers are great. Beyond the cosmetic pitting on one side of the cylinder, everything has a nice, even patina.

Need to get some brass. :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

20cows wrote:I did good!

Everything is tight, bore and chambers are great. Beyond the cosmetic pitting on one side of the cylinder, everything has a nice, even patina.

Need to get some brass. :D
:mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 32 S&W UPDATE!

Post by 20cows »

Ok, I loaded a few experimental rounds.

I LIKE IT!!! :D

Reloading for it looks like it will be an adventure in itself.

And who'd thought such a little revolver would have such a long trigger pull? Even single action!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 32 S&W UPDATE!

Post by kimwcook »

I like it!
Old Law Dawg